Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The way I did it just involved sticking on some sticky backed velvet squares... Like the ones you can get in DIY shops to put on the bottom of chair legs so they don't scrape wooden floor! Make sure they are thin though, They need to squash right down!

If that doesn't fix it, then just peel them off and find something else!

·
Registered
341 Posts
just tried to fix minor rattle
appeared to be the plastic strip at base of rewar window held on by the 3 plastic rivets
although they were 'home' the trim was still loose so i put 4 small pieces of black foam between the plastic and the metal
rattle has now gone :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
grr rattle is back so replaced the shim on the side it was coming from(drivers)
i know am back to 2 on drivers and 1 on nearside
also on the drivers side i have 2 sets of 3 smaller shims clearly visable on the mechanism attached to he arms?
weird as there are none on the other side
any ideas should i try and remove some of them?
by the way is it ok to go down to no shime on the original thread?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Never remove any shims from anywhere other then the C Segment guides as I showed on page 1 of this thread.... Reason for that is the calibration of all the alignment is done with the other shims....

I had removed a couple of shims from the guides (one for each side). I have not put them back...

My creak is still gone, so I am still happy! Before messing around, you need to make sure you find the cause of the rattle before removing anything!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Sorry, regarding your last question, you can go down to no shims (on the c segment guides), but if removing one you still have an issue, then it is probably coming from somewhere else...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another rattle

Well, the creak has not come back since looking at the plastic rivets on the rear window trim but I now have an irritating metalic vibration type rattle that I have traced to coming from the rear seat squab behind the drivers side. It only happens on certain roads that must have a less smooth surface. I noticed that when I have passengers in the back the noise ceases so, question is, how do I take out the rear seat? It may be the seat squab itself or the back part that goes up to the headrests. Could be a trim clip or some such item that vibrates but I won't know until I remove the seat. Now, interestingly, the seat had been taken out by the dealer when replacing the rear quarterlight on the drivers side (there was an imperfection in the glass from new) so perhaps the seat wasn't clipped back properly. Suggestions please!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll give that a go, but since I had a tug & pull session with the seat looking for any clips, the noise has stopped. I also took out the centre squab that leads to the boot and put it back, so at least I know I'm on the right track! As to being a "metallic" sound, that's the nearest I could get to a description. It could be a piece of plastic trim vibrating against something, or one of the retaining clips in the bodywork loose in it's housing....at least I know it's not the roof or rear window!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, would you believe it....just taken the Eos in for the recall over the fuel sensor and to have the two year (wow, is it really two years since I bought the beast..) brake fluid change, and they discover what has been causing my rattles, and what I described as my "metallic sound" in an earlier post. Both rear tyres (235/40R 18 95Y Dunlop Sport 01 XL) reported as "badly misshapen" in that the inner wall treads rise & fall giving a 50p shape to the tyre. Apparently the dealer has seen several vehicles (that have the same tyre) with this problem, and owners’ coming in thinking a wheel bearing has gone. Remember my "metallic sound"....good news is that the mobile dealer who replaced my two front tyres say's he will send my two rears (still have 5mil of tread) back to Dunlop for assessment and I should get a refund on the unused tread...now that's comforting. I've got a feeling that this problem was from new, as in earlier posts I said I was unhappy with Chicago 18" wheels as they seemed to give a "shimmer". Not surprising if the report is true! I'll report back when I have had the tyres changed, booked for the 20th Sept. I had no problems with the fronts, which I replaced at 30k, or the replacements themselves which now have 4k on them.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Wow... What a lucky find!! Must have made quite a vibration at high speed!! Also, as you are from Essex, are you going to come to the Watford Meet Up on 26th October?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rattle fix? no-changed tyres!

Well, it's like a new car. It's amazing what you can get used to over thousands of miles. What's the chances of having two defective tyres on the same car, let alone on the same axle...ie; both rears. Anyway, Event Tyres (mobile fitters) who replaced my fronts at 30k for £135 a tyre came and did both rears at the current lower price of £127 per Dunlop Sport (dealer ranged from £150-£180 per tyre!) and will be sending then back to Dunlop for appraisal and refund of remaining 5m tread. The noise free, rattle free drive is such that having just driven the new Scirocco with the same 2ltr engine I now prefer the Eos, whereas before the tyre change I would have been tempted. I was, however, very impressed with the DSG gearbox, and could be tempted to get another Eos with that gearbox...SiJ2000, how do you rate yours?....excuse me, I've just gotta go on a short drive to convince myself it is the same car I bought.....the transformation is amazing. Quite why the misshappen tyres were not picked up on previous services is questionable tho'

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok, quick question. What economy do you get? I average 30mpg filling up at the pump. Dashboard will show averages from 27-36 on a run but filling up is the ultimate way of working out mpg. Did you have a manual before? or did you go straight to DSG. Must admit, sport mode with the little paddle shifts on the wheel (when I drove Scirocco) is a whole new (enjoyable) experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just an FYI- I had the rear c pillar roof rattle on my 08 eos also. They checked the shims and still had a rattle. After a week of shop time, they finally found that when they removed the healiner for access to the hinge bolts for the center room section, they found the left and right side bolts were loose. After tightning no noise at all! So if your tech folks check the shims and you still have rattle-- ask them to check this out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good evening. I am glad to know that I am not the only person that bother you noises ....

I think I have a vibration in the plastic rivets that both have spoken. I will try to fix it with your experiences. thank you.

I also have another noise creak. in the rear right. Which supports the segment C. This crack disappears when poured some water in the area of the red box. Only last a few hours until it dries and turns to crack.

Are you going to you?

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good evening. I am glad to know that I am not the only person that bother you noises ....

I think I have a vibration in the plastic rivets that both have spoken. I will try to fix it with your experiences. thank you.

I also have another noise creak. in the rear right. Which supports the segment C. This crack disappears when poured some water in the area of the red box. Only last a few hours until it dries and turns to crack.

Are you going to you?
My solution is so simple and effective. Bought a Selleys multipurpose lubricant spray with a long straw attached on the head. Spray all the joints at 2 corners left and right of the roof (with rear windshield up like picture above.). Spray to any possible joint I could see see with help from the straw to reach far inside the panel.

My car is now dead quiet for over 2 months... no squeaking, cracking no matter what condition of the streets are.

The cracking noise is from the metal joint drying out in my case, not a plastic thing so may be the same with you as well.

Make sure you leave the car with a lot of ventilation and windows down would help the smell gone quicker after spray.

Also, I park the car in the shade most of the time so not sure how long it would last if parking under the sun though, before the lubricant dries out again.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts