Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would put some sort of installation details here so anyone can try to do if they want to have one on their cars.
Probably I'm the first one on Eos :p

The unit is an after market, not OEM from VW which I bought from here

The seller has 2 types of this camera : 1 with RCA Video connection for the after market SAT/NAV unit and 1 with RGB output for OEM sat/nav unit. Check your unit to purchase the right unit.

The below installation is for unit with RCA Video out, but it is pretty much the same with the one has RGB output anyway.

Seller already has very detail photos and instruction in the sale so I dont need to write here again.I just list out some particular things for Eos model. This seller is very informative, quick response and after sale service is just incredible. His service is second to none and I cannot highly recommend enough. Though I dont have any relation to the seller, just one of his very happy customer.

The unit is very solid build, decent type of camera and fit perfectly in the trunk lid of Eos. But before fit it in, just have a quick check and power up the unit with battery to make sure the motor and camera work properly.

Note that I upload all pictures from my PC so I cant really arrange the picture to each section I'm writing (if the Mods are looking, can you please rearrange if possible). Otherwise I upload the photos in the order from beginning to end so you should be able to follow it up.

1. You have to undo 10 plastic screws, plus 2 screws hidden in the door handle of the trunk lid, and then pull out 2 plastic covers on both sides of the lid, and the plastic cover on the trunk lock to get the mat out. Take care when removing the last 3 plastic covers as the mat will drop on you :) (Pic 1, 2 and 3)

2. Disconnect ground wire from the battery before doing the work.

3. Unplug the trunk connector from the existing badge.

4. Remove 3 screws which hold the badge to the lid. Be careful with these screw as they are easily stripped.(pic 4)

5. Install the new badge. Again do not over-tighten the screws, just make sure they are tight enough. (pic 4)

6. Connect the white connector from the power wire loom to camera (pic 5)

7. Wire up the blue wire from camera to positive wire of reverse light

Wire up the black wire from camera to ground wire of reverse light. (pic 6)

8. For power wire, the 12V + wire from reverse light seems not to have enough power for the camera, and I couldn't find any decent power wire in the trunk lid, so I have to run the power wire all the way down to the trunk and use the + wire from the trunk light. (pic 7)

Note that if you choose to use power wire from trunk light like me,you have to take out the bulb and DO NOT use it. Otherwise the lid will be stuck, half close half open and you will have trouble big time.

When running this power wire down, make sure you have the roof top half open so you can run the wire along the mechanic joints and tape it in with black tape, and take care to check space when the roof up/down so that the cable wont be damaged. (pic 8, 9, 10 )

You also want to plug in the RCA video cable to the camera and run the wire down to the trunk in similar way with power wire. (or you could buy a set of wireless transmiter receiver and dont have to run the video cable down and all the way to the front Sat/Nav unit. Like this one :

9. Connect the trunk connector from camera to the trunk. For this one it seems the wiring of Golf model is opposite Eos, and this camera is for Golf, so it wont work straight out. You have to test first, if the trunk can not be opened by the badge when the lid is closed, you just need to cut the black and yellow wires from the plug and swap them around : yellow to black and black to yellow. (pic11)

10. Connect water pipe to the camera. (pic 12)

11. Run video cable to the hole on the side of the car and through under door step cover (pic 13, 14, 15)

12. Re-check all connections, tidy up all wires under the lid. Plug the video output from camera to screen input, turn on the key, change the gear to reverse and see if the camera pops out and picture on the screen (assume your screen already have sensor wire taped into reverse light so it switches automatically when gear is in reverse mode) (pic 16, 17)

Note that I have after market Sat/Nav unit with RCA input so the steps here are for similar unit. Folks who have factory unit with RGB input, after installing camera, you have to activate it via vag-com to be able to use it, so extra step for you guys.

13. Attach the mat back to the trunk lid with the screws / rivets, and dont forget to re-attach 2 plastic trims on both sides. Snap the lock cover back in.

Open and close the top to check if the video cable, power cable have a good movement along with the top and no damage cause by the moving.

14. Eos does not have rear wiper, so potentially the water can get in the trunk via this badge and damages electronics. To resolve the issue, cut a small hole on the trunk lid mat right next to the lock, and guide the water piper through there.
(pic 18)

So when the lid is closed, the pipe mouth lays on the trunk bumper and water can be released out to the bumper.

It is completely hidden when lid is closed.

I'm sorry that all the photos were taken after the job was done so not all detail captured. But it is really straight installation and no major concern here. 1 big thing to remember that Do not use any ground wire from the trunk lid or in the trunk, or you get trouble with the lock right away.

Any question fire away.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Said it before...u R a legend Vin!

Next stage is doing just this, installing the rear camera. You should post photos of your car so the rest of the forum can also see your efforts!

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did this with a stock unit from www.carsystems.pl. I installed an RNS-510, Bluetooth and MDI at the same time. Your write up is great and I wish I had it before I did my install. I'd like to add a few notes to yours that may help others.

1. I'd like to reiterate that these plastic screw things strip extremely easily. They are really cheap at your local VW dealer, so order replacements ahead of time and you don't have to worry about wrecking them.

4. My wife's EOS is an '07 and never garaged. Of the three bolts holding the badge on, only one did not let go. They did not strip, the nut-serts let go from the fiberglass trunk. I had to cut the bolts off, then cut out the nut-serts. I then set new ones in using Oatey Fix-it stick.

14. I enlarged one of the two existing drain holes and bought a longer piece of hose. The rubber plug can be seen in pic 1 above. It's top center of pic.

Again, great write up. If anyone has any questions about the oem unit, let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RNS315 and park distance control

I installed the OEM version from carsystems.pl as well to a RNS315. I had to modify two locations using VCDS since the car came with Park Distance Control.

In Navigation, Byte 3 bit 6 and in Park Assist byte 0 bit 4.

Works great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed the OEM version from carsystems.pl as well to a RNS315. I had to modify two locations using VCDS since the car came with Park Distance Control.

In Navigation, Byte 3 bit 6 and in Park Assist byte 0 bit 4.

Works great.
Did your Park Assist include Park Pilot?
My car does and maybe that needs further VCDS modification.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wish I could install this, but I have a RCD-510. I have been told there is no possibility to add a camera. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I wish I could install this, but I have a RCD-510. I have been told there is no possibility to add a camera. Oh well.
Not true!! Are you one of those "Uninformed Voters" who believes everything they are told.:D

Although, it does depend on how old your RCD-510 is. I believe a 26 pin connector is required which the newer RCD-510 has.

Even if yours is an older unit, the cost of a new one is not that bad.

The bottom line is the fact that a back up camera is a very valuable tool for convenience and safety.

Plus, it will increase the value of your car so your net cost is very low to do the conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ozHgPkjxA

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone in the DC Metro Area have a VCDS cable who could help me out tweaking my 2010 EOS RN 510 to install a b/u camera? Would be willing to reimburse you. TIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this with a stock unit from www.carsystems.pl. I installed an RNS-510, Bluetooth and MDI at the same time. Your write up is great and I wish I had it before I did my install. I'd like to add a few notes to yours that may help others.

1. I'd like to reiterate that these plastic screw things strip extremely easily. They are really cheap at your local VW dealer, so order replacements ahead of time and you don't have to worry about wrecking them.

4. My wife's EOS is an '07 and never garaged. Of the three bolts holding the badge on, only one did not let go. They did not strip, the nut-serts let go from the fiberglass trunk. I had to cut the bolts off, then cut out the nut-serts. I then set new ones in using Oatey Fix-it stick.

14. I enlarged one of the two existing drain holes and bought a longer piece of hose. The rubber plug can be seen in pic 1 above. It's top center of pic.

Again, great write up. If anyone has any questions about the oem unit, let me know.
k21975 - I have a similar problem. the top bolt of my hood latch came off with a problem - the bottom two just spun without unthreading - how did you cut the heads off - I don't want t destroy my stock assembly latch. You mention you "then cut out the nut-serfs." (Where did you get replacements?) I then set new ones in using Oatey Fix-it stick.." not sure what you mean by that - is that the sleeve the thread hex nut passes through? I though about drilling off the nut heads of the two spinning nut and I assume the existing assembly just pull off then. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like provide some experience on the installation of a rear camera on my 2010 EOS. I had a similar problem as k21975 in removing the 2 bottom Torx screws from the rear latch assembly. The bottom 2 screws would not release. k21975 was kind enough to describe this in advance but he didn't have pictures and it was had to envision what lay behind the assemble.. Basically, the rear hood is fiberglass and there are threaded metal inserts glued/bonded into circular holes in the fiberglass around the latch opening. The OEM screws have something like Loctite painted on the thread surface so that when they're screwed in I think the friction heats them up enough to bond to the metal insert. Just as k21975 these 2 screws turned and the glue bond broke and the screws just turned and turned and turned. The top screw threaded without problem. I would suggest before loosening the bottom two that you heat these screw heads and possibly this would allow the the transfer of heat down the screw to loosen the Loctite enough for the screw to loosen the bond with the insert so that the fiberglass that the insert is glued to won't break loose. I had to use mid-size circular grinder to grind the heads off of the two bottom screws.WARNING Wear safety glasses and take your time WARNING: You need to be very careful to be in the right position when grinding these heads off so you don't in I completed the screw head removal by drilling the screw out. I was able to push the old insert back up the hole out-of-the-way to install a new one threaded insert. I found a aluminum insert at the hardware store that I could be bonded in it's place (I wish in hindsight I had recessed it a bit to the level of the flange hole edge- it has a 1/32" lip so when I put the new latch in I also siliconed around the hole to be sure no water could leak in.) I inadvertently ground through the fiberglass on exterior face surrounding the latch mechanism. I purchased my camera unit from someone on eBay and it appears to be well made. The only issue I found (which the seller indicated might happen) was that when plugging in the new latch connector into the exiting wiring connector ground and + are reversed in the new unit. Rather than breaking apart the connector(s) I just used wiretaps to bypass the connector and wire the new latch connector to the opposite wire of the car connector. There really is no damage that will occur when connecting it (it may work) - the worst is the latch will not rep lease. WARNING: k21975 warned me that you should run wire or string from the emergency latch release inside the trunk back into the car. If something goes wrong and you shut the trunk you might not be able to open it without accessing the emergency latch. Luckily I didn't not have this problem but I ran some string anyway. My head liner with cable and fell and detached from the lock release and I have not reconnected it yet. Does anyone have a picture of how this connects? It is not intuitively obvious! I modified my head unit through the kindness of someone in the area with a VAGCOM Cable - I have not yet completed reining the cable back to the head unit. It was a bear when I installed a camera on my wife's Subaru - but at least the EOS is only 1/3 as long! See pictures at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52amti74h865huf/hezxPKjgEu

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
This is a bit off the wall but this is the kind of rear facing camera I want to install:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-CCTV-...057261844?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item4d148ced14

It will probably sit between the 2 rear headrests.

What I need to know in words please is what is the best and neatest way to get an rca vid. wire from the rear of the car to the front and rear of my radio/satnav unit?

It seems to me I either go external and under, or some internal route under carpets or behind trim. What route does the oem wiring take?

·
Registered
2 Posts
take the back seat out. Here is what I did - You can thread the wire up behind the seat and then run it along and under the black trim (tucked between the carpet and the black trim) along the door to under the glove box and thread it behind the radio. It's a little work, but it's not that hard.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
This is a bit off the wall but this is the kind of rear facing camera I want to install:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-CCTV-...057261844?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item4d148ced14

It will probably sit between the 2 rear headrests.

What I need to know in words please is what is the best and neatest way to get an rca vid. wire from the rear of the car to the front and rear of my radio/satnav unit?

It seems to me I either go external and under, or some internal route under carpets or behind trim. What route does the oem wiring take?
Are you not concerned as to what is directly behind you? Your trunk (Boot) will get in the way due to your camera mounted so far forward.

Since I do not know what you are trying to accomplish regarding a back up camera, I guess more info is needed, at least for me. I'm kind of slow.

Most of the time, the B.U. camera's main function is to see what is directly behind the vehicle, as close to the bottom of the rear bumper as possible.

My camera lets me know items within 6 inches of the bottom of my bumper and, of course, an infinitive view of the rest of what is directly behind me with a very wide scope.

However, the camera that you pictured is very interesting even though I don't know what purpose it would accomplish on our cars.

But..............I know you will let me, and the rest of us know.:p

I really love modern technology and am always willing to try anything and everything, within my budget, which is somewhat limited. :D:D

Okay, okay, my budget is a LOT limited.:(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
take the back seat out. Here is what I did - You can thread the wire up behind the seat and then run it along and under the black trim (tucked between the carpet and the black trim) along the door to under the glove box and thread it behind the radio. It's a little work, but it's not that hard.
Thanks that will save me a lot of messing about taking off trim and getting nowhere.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
However, the camera that you pictured is very interesting even though I don't know what purpose it would accomplish on our cars.
How many cheap pinhole reversing cams will show a decent resolution pic day and night with remote zoom, auto focus and iris that will pick up a following car with two people wearing Hi-viz and strange looking things mounted on their dashes - enough said!

After all, some cars that may be tailing you have sophistocated on board equipment other than satnav, so why not even up the odds? The next step may be building in number plate recognition - what a datafile that could be!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
How many cheap pinhole reversing cams will show a decent resolution pic day and night with remote zoom, auto focus and iris that will pick up a following car with two people wearing Hi-viz and strange looking things mounted on their dashes - enough said!

After all, some cars that may be tailing you have sophistocated on board equipment other than satnav, so why not even up the odds? The next step may be building in number plate recognition - what a datafile that could be!
Sounds like a lot of fun, however be very careful.

You may end up spending more time staring at your Back Up monitor than you do watching the road. :D:D

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I haven't looked at their quality or resolution specs, but you can now buy aftermarket rear view mirrors which are color lcd displays and integrate with reversing cams.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I haven't looked at their quality or resolution specs, but you can now buy aftermarket rear view mirrors which are color lcd displays and integrate with reversing cams.
I installed a Rearview Mirror Back Up Camera in my new 2004 Cobra. The brand is Gentex which is considered a very high quality product.

I currently have their Auto Dimming Mirror with Multi-Function Buttons installed in my Eos. Both of these mirror were a relatively easy install. See my Photo Album.

The resolution was very good in the Back Up Camera unit, albeit somewhat expensive. ;)

If this product is available to you, I can highly recommend it due to previous experience.

By the way, considering my location (U.S.A.) the Gentex is OEM in many better equipped foreign and Domestic Vehicles.

Also, they are very helpful regarding installation questions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts