Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MY2011 Eos and the 'Fault in Catalytic Converter' warning light has been on for quite a while, (15,000km) with no obvious deteriation in performance. Automasters have identfied it as the rear O2 sensor not working. I am wondering is it really needs to be replaced, and if so is it a simple job to do oneself. The local Automasters are estimatig AUD600+ and it seems the part alone is ca.AUD400 if I buy it through the VW agent. It seems I can get the part online much cheaper but I am not sure of the precise part no. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
'Fault in Catalytic Converter' warning light has been on for quite a while, (15,000km) with no obvious deteriation in performance.
That's quite possible but if the CAT has now becomes poisoned as a result of driving the car such high mileage, you will be replacing both the CAT and the sensor. If after fitting a new sensor you get the same fault, the sensor may be telling you the truth and the CAT was poisoned to begin with and isn't effective? These are fault scenarious a workshop will work through in one repair job. In your case you think you are saving some money taking the small step but this may not solve the problem.

I've replaced a few CAT sensors and they aren't exactly plug and play. Well the plug and socket is, but removing a sensor that has been in a while can be challenging because their threads rust in to the can. After much huffing and puffing you may get it out, but then have to chase the threads out clean to stop the new sensor jamming as you put it in. Of course you are putting your trust in a 3rd party diagnosis before spending money on parts and can't go back to them after much work to get your money back if that's not the one and only fault.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts