Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear left window is stuck in the up position and I'm looking to replace the window motor. However, to do this, I would need to fold the roof back to the service position and I can't get the roof to move without lowering the window. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I'd be able to remove the motor in this situation? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I understand the pain, I had a similar problem. The roof top side members have to be raised high enough to withdraw the rear regulator assembly through the glass slot. The expensive shops with high hourly labor cost have been known to smash the glass. A softer way assuming you still have access inside the trunk, is to release the pump valve and roof locks as per workshop manual for roof open procedure and two people pull the roof top side members back away from the 'A' pillars. Whilst they are left 'hanging' it's a good idea to get some support underneath. They only have to go back about 300mm to get sufficient height to withdraw the assembly. But the whole job is a painful experience. With the roof locks released there is a risk of 'trunk lid lockout' if the lid is closed. Fix a 4x4 block firmly to the rear top black trim cover to ensure the lid cannot be closed into its locks whilst you are working on the car. When you have finished, reverse the procedure to lock the roof in the same position you started with.

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
I understand the pain, I had a similar problem. The roof top side members have to be raised high enough to withdraw the rear regulator assembly through the glass slot. The expensive shops with high hourly labor cost have been known to smash the glass. A softer way assuming you still have access inside the trunk, is to release the pump valve and roof locks as per workshop manual for roof open procedure and two people pull the roof top side members back away from the 'A' pillars. Whilst they are left 'hanging' it's a good idea to get some support underneath. They only have to go back about 300mm to get sufficient height to withdraw the assembly. But the whole job is a painful experience. With the roof locks released there is a risk of 'trunk lid lockout' if the lid is closed. Fix a 4x4 block firmly to the rear top black trim cover to ensure the lid cannot be closed into its locks whilst you are working on the car. When you have finished, reverse the procedure to lock the roof in the same position you started with.
Hey Vox,

Wouldn't your "Vox Super Props" be ideal for keeping the roof safely located whilst removing the window glass?

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Yes, after he's got the locks open and opened the roof at the 'A' pillars. There is no hydraulic power and the fewer parts moved the safer. Even with the pump valve open there's a surprising amount of force needed to move parts against hydraulic resistance. Once the roof parts move 'over the crest' to settle on the props, more human force is needed to get them all back forwards manually. If the side members are pushed back just enough to reach the crest (highest point) they should balance and be easy to push forwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts