Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 EOS and I am having problems with slow refueling. It clicks off numerous times in order to fill the tank. They only way to prevent this is to slowly hold the nozzle below its lowest setting. Anyone else run into this issue?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Some forecourt pumps don't maintain their shut off trips. Try another gas station and see if the problem remains. Gas V.Ws for the USA market have some extra electronics around the tank and a valve to control the venting of fumes in the tank and charcoal absorption filters, so fumes don't get out. We don't have any of this on U.K models so I can't be of much help other than give you some ideas where to look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I tried multiple gas stations, same problem. Yes some have mentioned venting and the charcoal canister. I didnt know UK version didnt have the same venting system, wonder if can be changed over. In my attempt to locate the charcoal canister, it appears that some of the vent tubes lead towards underneath the spare tire, above the muffler. Can someone confirm the location?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I don't know how your State regards removing this kind of thing for their inspections? The tank venting will be linked into the ECU and is smart enough to measure tank pressure when the fuel cap is fitted. I read if you tried leaving lthe tank cap off and vented to atmosphere, the system would flag a warning on the dash? AFIK California is very strict? You can't just remove it and have an easier life without considering how it's programmed to work in the ECU.

I know a few bikers in the States and they always have problems with carbon cannisters getting flooded and blocked with fuel. The V.W vapor control system in cars (like other brands) is much more sophistocated (complicated!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m also in the US and have had this issue intermittently for the past several years with my 2013 Eos. I posted here about it and no one knew what I was talking about, so your post reassured me that I’m not crazy!

My only advice is to refuel before the tank gets below 1/4 capacity, since I’ve noticed the problem is worse when my tank is almost empty. After I begin filling the tank slowly as you described, I can gradually increase the flow as the tank fills, without the pump shutting off (until it’s completely full).

It’s definitely not the pumps, since I don’t have the problem with my husband’s Honda at the same stations.

Anne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideally I would like to attempt to replace the charcoal canister as most have pointed to that issue. I dont want to deal with a check engine light if I disconnect the lines. I just wanted to confirm location, if above the muffler, it will be a bit of work to drop most of the exhaust.
Nope def not crazy, I dread going to the gas station because of this issue. But I normally refuel when im below 1/4 capacity, I will try to avoid doing that to see if that helps.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
IMHO I would find out how the vapor control system works to see if there are any hoses I can get easier access to and check for obstruction before removing large parts? Most tank fillers have a vent pipe somewhere for gas filling, but I don't have the vapor control addons to help further. It looks as though work and investigation on the evap system might need some hoses disconnected on an empty gas tank? Take precautions working with gas vapors mixed up with electrics and pumps - read workshop manual procedures! On balance, I might have this job done by a competent workshop because they have the 4 post lift, insurance and fire extinguishers.

This video is not V.W specific but seems a good explanation of how an Evap system works. I'm glad I don't have this stuff:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts