Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I read in the paper (well metro on iPad actually, but that's bragging) about car reliability survey. The Eos came in the last 10 at 143. Is it really the unreliable?:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes- I can't rely on it to BORE me like every other vehicle has! It doesn't scream "look at me" yet has class, build quality and I feel VW has delivered a very good product. I wonder if that survey has anything to do with water ingress of poorly maintained seals?
Lovin my Eos :)

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
Hi, I read in the paper (well metro on iPad actually, but that's bragging) about car reliability survey. The Eos came in the last 10 at 143. Is it really the unreliable?:confused:

My experience suggests the only people who respond to reliability surveys are the usual suspects; those who have had problems and those employed by manufacturers/dealers either with direct encouragement or of their own volition who post favourable comments to "boost' their brand .

The vast majority of satisfied owners never bother to respond because they have better things to do with their time and may also believe the results mean zilch anyway.

I have owned cars which rated "poorly" in reliability surveys over the years yet gave me no problems which could be regarded as serious quality defects. The current situation with the Eos is a classic example; there is a small vocal minority who have had problems and a large majority of silent happy owners who have not had serious problems. The early models had some problems requiring attention but this MUST be expected with new designs - for this reason, I will never buy the first model of a new car and prefer to wait for at least 2 upgrades before purchasing to allow the initial "bugs" to be sorted out by the manufacturer. My partner's MY09 Eos is a good example; it has more than met our expectations especially in regard to the virtual absence of assembly-related problems, the only problem has been due to a small area around the rear tail light which was not properly coated with sealant before assembly. This was probably due to an air bubble in the sealant which I assume was applied by a robotic arm without continuous supervision by an assembly line worker. I do not regard this as a reportable quality defect but rather an isolated problem that will occur in all assembly operations regardless of the manufacturer from time to time.

There are also some owners with unrealistic expectatations who should never buy a mechanical product as they will never be satisfied.

·
Registered
478 Posts
On my '08 Eos, I've had an A/C problem about 2 years ago. Some part had ot be ordered and took about 2-3 weeks to arrive. Now I've got a jerky DSG and a part is on the way (again, 2-3 weeks). Neither problem has prevented me from driving.

Absolutely no problem with the top other than forgetting to put the cover in the trunk in the "down" position when lowering the top. Good exercise getting out of the car, opening the trunk, putting the cover in the right position and then getting back in the car. No big deal.

The Eos has gotten a couple of "best in class" awards including a "buy" recommendation from Consumer Reports a couple of years ago. The only problem I see with the Eos is that it's getting a bit late in the current run cycle. Whether VW is going to refresh the model or drop it is the big question. While I haven't been looking, I don't know of any other convertible I would rather have at the moment.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Had my Eos individual now a little under two years, never had a problem with it, not even a roof leak and I have never krytoxed either.

I have the roof down most days on my way home from work, perhaps I have been lucky, in time we will see. I drive it hard, very hard and the front is stoned chipped to death, but that is of my doing.

I have been in the Motor Industry for 35+ years on the manufacturers side, firstly Nissan, then SEAT, then Volkswagen now another very large European one, American owned. In that time mostly on the customer service/relations side. Like Silvershadow it is my experience that those who respond to surveys are those who having somthing to complain about anyway, the majority of satisfied users just get on and enjoy what they have.

You only need to look at this forum, the majority of notes on the infamous roof leaks are from the same handfull of people, tehy do have a problem and it would pee me off too if I had a leak, but the posts re roof leask are not as many as you first see the chains are being perpetuated with reply after reply.

Get one and enjoy it

Derek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts