Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OE shifter boot is a rather thin, poor quality material. Found a seller in the UK that makes replacement boots out of actual leather. I did have some trouble with the install as the opening at the top of the boot was too wide and the thickness of the leather, coupled with the fact that the leather was folded over before the pieces were sewn together, proved to be problematic as there is a retaining ring that needs to snap over the shaft of the knob. You will see what I am referring to if you watch the video. Ended up having to trim the folded over leather to get everything put back correctly.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Thanks for posting the vid. I'd have emailed the U.K seller with your vid. and asked them to replace it with one that works giving dimensions? There are many small outfits with sewing machines that try to make aftermarket products without really trying them. They would probably appreciate your feedback and others buying the same would not have the problem if they altered their design?

I've had the rectangular surround lifted from my manual shift a few times to remove the center console. I'm sure the hole at the top of my leather cone is only large enough for it to slide on the steel rod and the knob would need removing to get their cover off?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did email them, explained the issues and even provided a link to my video. Typical answer "No one else has said anything about fitment". Also told them that they need to test fit a product before they offer it for sale, which they obviously did not.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Oh well you did your best after buying and waiting so long to get it must have been frustrating. It sounds like one of the many brown box mail order companies - market and move product without knowing much about them or customer care? I bought an old second hand Singer sewing machine for £40 last year which I've used on quite a lot of thick materials. Your leather shifter sleeve doesn't look that hard to stitch up from some leather cloth and get it right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts