Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Why do you need to do this?
Could lubrication prevent this?
I think the problem starts when the Octopus drive cables fail and they move the sunroof out of square, then it jams. Then people insist on pushing the sunroof button back and forth making matters worse?

You should consider buying and read the shop manual first. It doesn't tell you everything, but it's better than working blind then breaking parts. I explained the side trims here. They are held captive and the trim has to slide to release them. To make matters worse I think the trim has to slide in one direction to release the first pegs then in the opposite direction - Stupid idea. But when you start with a plastic pry tool, you will realise there are points along the trim cover where it is being held by hidden fasteners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I see! Thank you very much!
To be honest I am terrified of that lever bending. By reading the relevant topics I had the impression that the roof operated just fine before the incident.
If it is related to the octopus cables, then at least you have some kind of first warning.

I was looking for ways to prevent this, so I just thought that it could happen due to debris or dried out lubrication of the rails, that's why I asked in the first place.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
The problem is many just try to buy new parts, misunderstand the complexity and care needed to replace them and the repair either works, fails again or the roof leaks afterwards. There are plenty of sellers selling replacement nylon gears for the sunroof motor which usually fails first and a misconception that the nylon gear isn't strong enough. Despite caveats from the gear sellers, they replace the gear and the teeth strip again. AFIK when a dealer tech. gets a sunroof motor with a stripped gear they replace the motor, Octopus cables and the sliders if they are damaged - a huge expensive repair. The only ways you should start looking at require a first careful read of the manual to remove a sunroof. There are warnings there and things to avoid before you pick up a wrench. There have been a couple of photos posted of damaged sliders. The plastic is shown totally torn up and you wouldn't expect that to come from 2 parts sliding together. My theory is the sunroof is already misaligned as it's pulled through the guides.

People do try to lubricate the sliders, but I also think the octopus spiral cable and its sliding slipper are important. Sometimes easy to apply grease isn't the best solution. I don't grease door regulator wires because it attracts dirt and muck which grinds up the nylon winder drum. On plastic sliding parts I prefer a small drop of Krytox.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I get what you say about the sunroof. I 've seen topics where they replace the nylon gear with steel. Not really solving the underlying problem obviously.

Should I apply some spray grease on the rails marked below, proactively, or let them be? I have Wurth HHS 2000. Photo taken and edited from the other thread.

Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I haven't done anything to MY07 for the last 3 years and the sunroof works fine. If V.W put lube on there from new and you can see it, or it's specifically mentioned in the shop manual (not sure) then do what V.W recommend. Or do what feels right for you from what others say? You could ask your local dealer about it and what they would charge? I think I have a method to test these, but haven't time at the mo. to finish my checks and write it up.

You're just doing desk research at the moment. Until you do some work to get inside and look you won't be sure, or even if a PO has already poured loads of a wrong kind of grease on it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts