Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been happy with the clarity of my replacement Pioneer Head Unit. It was nearly a grand to purchase and install and I have always felt the sound was way too 'tinny', even though i have tried adjusting the graphic equalizer, etc. My next thought would be the speaker system, could it need upgrading the match the pioneer unit ? and how tricky is it to change ? I think I would get a professional to change the speakers if that was the case anyway. any suggestions guys ?? .... thanks x

·
Registered
233 Posts
What did the £1000 actually buy you, in terms of improvement in specifications over the standard? Obviously, the speakers are a crucial part of the sound system so if you uprated the power rating of the amplifier/head unit but didn't touch the original speakers and now these are not powerful enough, they would need to be upgraded too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi,

Please do a search on the word "focal" on this site and then look for my post. My system sounded tinny as well until I had door matting and new door speakers installed. Of course the sub and amp helped too.

Cheers

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you want decent sound, you absolutely do need to look at the speakers. When I switched out the stock speakers for Dynaudio speakers, the sound quality from the stock RNS300 head unit improved drastically.

What you have in there at the moment is some Philips paper-cone woofers, and tiny tweeters that have a small capacitor across them as a primitive form of crossover. Which means there is plenty of room for improvement :)

If you want to do the job yourself, you will need to drill out the rivets holding the door woofers in place; if you want to install third-party speakers you will need spacers; you can get adapters that connect to the plugs for the stock speakers, so you don't have to cut any wires. I guess you won't need an amp after investing in the Pioneer head unit, but depending on what speakers you get you may want to supplement them with decent crossovers. I've written about retrofitting the Dynaudio speakers and the amplifier and if you search for "Dynaudio retrofit" you will find a lot of information about how to swap out the speakers and about the sound system generally. Not all of it will be relevant to you, but some of it should be useful :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree with aku-aku on the speaker change - any decent brand will bring a big improvement.

Also, I should add that when I had mine done, they didn't do the little ones at the top by the mirror (are those tweeters? I have no idea). They just did the main ones in the door and that absolutely fine. They also said that there was no need to do the rear ones as the upgrade of the front ones would be sufficient to greatly improve the sound quality and they were right!

·
Registered
841 Posts
the little ones at the top by the mirror (are those tweeters? I have no idea).
Yep.

They just did the main ones in the door and that absolutely fine.
I guess it's the law of diminishing returns - tweeters generally are cheap, but getting third-party ones to replace those small things is tough. No point touching them, especially when the problem is woolly bass and poorly-defined mid-range. I realise I'm arguing against my Dynaudio retrofit, but I'm a completist and I like things to be standard ;)

They also said that there was no need to do the rear ones as the upgrade of the front ones would be sufficient to greatly improve the sound quality and they were right!
You would say that, you're the driver ;) Chances are that's the case for 99% of Eos miles driven, it's rare to have people in the back. The rear speakers aren't exactly well placed when there are passengers in the back either, to the extent that my back-seat passengers wondered even if there were rear speakers!

·
Registered
329 Posts
All great points! And yes, you're so right about the back seat. 99% of the time it holds groceries or other things, especially when the roof is down and my 3" of trunk space has been spoken for!

Totally get the completist thing as well.

Cheers,

Derek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts