Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Title pretty much sums it up. Do I need to reset something? I went back and checked connectors ( and sprayed ) with electrical spray.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
If you hang the door card off the short loom on the drivers side whilst removing the card, the wiring and connector are easily damaged. You should have removed the connector carefully by lifting up the locking bar across the top and only letting the multi pin connector lift up vertically. The extremely fine pins are easily damaged with no quick fix. Check carefully with a flashlight that all the pins in the mating connector are straight and none are bent or broken. You probably pushed the connector in and didn't fold over the locking bar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have checked the multi pin connector and I think you have hit it on the nose again. As the pins are vertically parallel, there are some that are not there. I will attempt to get another connector and try again. ( I have to get it fixed as I can't even get the gas cover open...........) thanks for the help

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Your problem could get worse: If not handled very carefully, pins that break off may still be stuck in the female plug, so you replace the other end and the new pins get damaged because they are blocked by the old broken stuck pins. It's a location where they should have used a more robust multi way connector. Even a printer DB25 'D' is a better choice. But Ce La vie, it is what it is. I can't remember if all the pins are used, but count the wires going into the connector and each should be assigned a pin.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You can get the gas cap open via the boot it 's behind the carpet, but still reachable.
I presume when you place the plug into the connector, you then rotated the lever to draw the plug into the connector and it's locked via the little locking tab.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can get the gas cap open via the boot it 's behind the carpet, but still reachable.
I presume when you place the plug into the connector, you then rotated the lever to draw the plug into the connector and it's locked via the little locking tab.
Little tips like this I print out and stuck in my eos folder, just in case it ever happens. Top notch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, I really appreciate your help. I am going to try and improvise on the pin situation. Going to try a good old USA part (much cheaper). Male and female plug in connector. Lots of wires, but hey, I am retired.....lol

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Solder splice and sleeve an extra 2ft of multicore on the end and you won't hang the door card off the connector next time. Can't remember it now, but isn't the male pin header part of the door controller module (?). If not and it's on the end of a loom you may be able to buy the new male connector part as a V.W repair item. Lots of people must damage them.

If you are replacing both ends and 25 pins is enough, I'd recommend the 25 pin D connectors with plastic shells and all the pins. - you don't want shorty shorty! Cannon, 3M and ITT make them and there are tonnes on Ebay as everybody has gone to wireless and usb printers. If you only need 16 pins, the audio visual SCART connectors may be reliable as they have largish flat pins. Plenty of soldering work to do and mistakes to make. It's quite hard to find robust and compact multi way connectors, but the DB25s have decent gold flash plated pins.

·
justcarkits
109 Posts
The pins used on the connectors in VW's don't give trouble (unless water gets in). They are Molex parts and not some "knock off" Chinese copy. BMW, Mercedes use the same pins.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I don't think that's true of the locking multi-pin connector used for all the door wire connections behind the door card? I see very few Molex connectors because they aren't waterproof. This is an example of the AMP type of connector used in the engine bay. They come in various pin thickness, pin numbers and wire sizes. They are nominally waterproof with silicone sleeves that seal the cable entry into the shell, often locking and have an internal silicone gasket. I don't think they are Molex?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
VW connectors are generally Tyco / TE Connectivity, I believe. For the same kind of pin there can be several different kinds of connector: basic, locking, and sealed are the ones I know of. The vast majority are either Power Timer or, in core electrical components like the fuse box and central electrics module, Multi Contact Point connectors.

The smallest connectors (MQS) are also used by BMW - I know that for sure as there are some quite convenient 2-pin MQS plug-socket pairs that are a BMW part!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The micro connector used for the mirror RLS sensor is used on Range Rover clocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts