Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new Mk5 GTI flat bottom steering wheel from EBay for $270 plus shipping. It has the DSG paddle shifters but no radio controls.

Removal of the airbag is pretty simple requiring a small flat blade screw driver (you can search YouTube for a How-To on removing the airbag). Steering wheel is also simple to remove but requires a 12 spline 12mm socket. The bolt holding the wheel on wasn't torqued down to super human specs (unlike Mercedes) so a breaker bar shouldn't be necessary.

I wasn't confidant that the internal control module could be used with the steering wheel controls, so I elected to remove the entire assembly from the GTI wheel and replace it with the internals from the OEM Eos wheel.

Everything swapped over perfectly and everything works as it should. I also swapped out the GTI emblem with the V6 emblem from the OE wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Do you get a clean scan without any fault codes? I think you did the right thing getting the wheel and controller. I've thought about it but as MY07 is manual shift, it's radio controls I would use most.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Always safe to stick with the electronics that you know work :) I put the link there more for the benefit of anyone else who's contemplating a similar mod - but you might like to know what the module you have left over from your switch can do too, so you know whether it's worth hanging on to as a spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts