Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So most of you probably have seen my sub install, which fires into the ski bag pass through. The leather padded cover creates a air tight seal, which does not really allow much sound through, so I picked up some black, 1/4" foam board, cut it to size and layered two of these together for rigidity. Ideally, I would of used a thin wood or ABS but neither were readily available. The foam board is fairly easy to cut, so trimming for a precise tight fit was easy enough. I left a 1" center section for additional rigidity and covered it with two layers of speaker grill cloth. The first layer was too translucent for my taste. The grill is easy to remove in case I need access to the compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it's the most obvious thing to do with the access hatch. Although in the past 2 weeks I've used mine 3 times for long things. A common length in our DIY shops is 3M which I can just get through into the foot well and close the trunk lid. Does your speaker and panel hinge down or lift off to still push a long item through? I don't think the foam will affect a sub much as long as the air can get through. Is your seat color cornsilk beige like mine? It would be hard to find a speaker cloth and trim that color. There are many that want to show this kind of thing off and would just fit a black steel grill. I think my passengers would prefer a smart fold down table/ mini cocktail bar! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing, it's the most obvious thing to do with the access hatch. Although in the past 2 weeks I've used mine 3 times for long things. A common length in our DIY shops is 3M which I can just get through into the foot well and close the trunk lid. Does your speaker and panel hinge down or lift off to still push a long item through? I don't think the foam will affect a sub much as long as the air can get through. Is your seat color cornsilk beige like mine? It would be hard to find a speaker cloth and trim that color. There are many that want to show this kind of thing off and would just fit a black steel grill. I think my passengers would prefer a smart fold down table/ mini cocktail bar! :)
The 8" sub is actually bolted to the frame of the vehicle. It is elevated so I can slide my tool kit under it and if I remove the tool kit, the L brackets still hold the sub suspended, this allows easy removal of the spare tire cover. But no, I won't be able to carry anything long and utilize that pass-through compartment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts