Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2007-2009 EOS models have a red multi-function display that can be very annoying to a driver at night and even a distracting hazzard, in my opinion. What would be needed to swap that display out for the 2010-2012 display that has more standard white on black illumination?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi and welcome.
The display can be blanked I think using the MFSW buttons or the stalk input on the non MFSW models. This might be on a Highline display only, I'm not sure.The brightness can also be reduced via the dimmer switch.
If you want to change to a white display it's very involved and requires a new instrument cluster which then requires a new immobiliser/key coding and probably a new convenience module and CAN gateway with some re-programming using VAG commander and VCDS so it's not for the faint hearted. Like most things, it's possible but at a price.
I've also seen a thread elsewhere where somebody dis-mantled the cluster and changed all of the red SMLEDs for green ones,,,,,,how are your soldering skills?:eek:

Regards,
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for some great information. I used to be good at soldering but I don't think I would attempt the rest on my own. The dimmer switch was not effective enough which was why I wanted to replace it. Are the LEDs within the multi-display replacable or is the unit sealed? Also, could youy tell me a little more about the MFSW buttons. This is a 2007 Lux display if that matters

·
Registered
171 Posts
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/multifunction-display-VW.htm

This gives you some of the info you're after.
You'd be best doing a google search and maybe registering on vw vortex forums to tap into their knowledge base. It's more USA based and better understands the names like LUX etc which I don't think we get in Europe but I'm open to correction.
Regards,
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts