Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did something very silly...

....I forgot to fold the mirrors in before backing out of my garage and hit the side passenger mirror on the side of the garage. The folding mechanism is still ok and all the wires are still intact, however the plastic cover has broken and so has the glass. The glass has also come loose from the black plastic circle inside the mirror (however is held on by the electric wires).

Just wondering if anyone has any idea about how much this is going to cost to replace. (I'm a bit embarrassed to take it back to my dealer since it was only returned about a month ago after being severely damaged by vandals.)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I dismantled my mirrors to replace the indicator lense. It's a very simple process so I would hope it isn't an expensive repair.

The glass simply 'clicks in' to the black circular piece, and the outer casing is simply held on with clips too.

·
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast
1,256 Posts
I have seen mirror glass on Ebay and also mirror covers on Ebay. Usually the mirror covers are chrome or carbon fiber and intended as "accents". In your case if the housing is cracked but would accept a cover, you may consider going this route and just worry about replacing the glass.

Shame also about the prior vandalism!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just had my driver side mirror replaced as I managed to smash it against a pilar in a underground garage. Had whole mirror replaced by dealer at a cost of aprox. 500 euros including labor. Painting the casing to match the body was 150 euros and I replaced the whole mirror including the base as the coating had started to peel off. Mirror 63 euros, casing 43 euros, plastic ring for the casing 10 euros, base for the mirror 132 euros, turn signal 43 euros.

There are used sets on ebay for less, but shipping and painting the cover to match bodywork would have negated much of the savings. Not to mention the fact that as I don't have garage I would have had to do the work outside in the freezing winter weather...

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts
Just had my driver side mirror replaced as I managed to smash it against a pilar in a underground garage. Had whole mirror replaced by dealer at a cost of aprox. 500 euros including labor. Painting the casing to match the body was 150 euros and I replaced the whole mirror including the base as the coating had started to peel off. Mirror 63 euros, casing 43 euros, plastic ring for the casing 10 euros, base for the mirror 132 euros, turn signal 43 euros.

There are used sets on ebay for less, but shipping and painting the cover to match bodywork would have negated much of the savings. Not to mention the fact that as I don't have garage I would have had to do the work outside in the freezing winter weather...

I have a friend who never pays as much as that for his cars! VW sure know how to charge!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
5 Posts
side mirror

I think I saw this type of side mirror or side window at carparts.com. I bought mine before together with this side window deflectors to be sure that my side mirror has additional cover.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You will have to remove the inside door card. The mirror mount bolts are then in the top front corner and there are connectors that can be released and pushed through the metal door skin. PS: Undoing the 2 mirror fixings (bolts/nuts?) carries a high risk of dropping them into the lower bowels of the door skin. As well as the small 1/4" socket wrench I also use a magnet pickup on those as they come off. Been there and done it!

There are different mirror units, some with auto foldback motors and some without. The heated mirror glasses are replaceable but use black silicone goo, not their sticky pads. I think the outer plastic shell covers are all the same, not sure if they come primed or in your color? The covers are a real pain to get off to get inside without breaking their tabs. There's a post from me here - search.

·
500 Posts
To ease your embarrassment you could try a local body shop, phone the dealer for an estimate or take it to different VW dealership.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It is not too hard a job to do yourself - just take your time - I also have dropped a bolt down inside the door - so be very careful when extracting them!!!!

·
Loving It
28 Posts
Side Mirrors

Hi Scratchedeos, wondering where did you buy the mirrors from? Both my mirrors and covers are ok just the gear mechanisms on both sides have stripped. I am looking to buy them and replace myself.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I know I’m not scratchedeos, but I usually look around on eBay. German eBay is often a good bet, as there are several car breakers on there that list all their parts.

When you say the gear mechanisms have stripped, are you referring to part of the folding mechanism? I’ve had trouble with the fold mechanism before and just bought a ”new” mirror, but I’m wondering if you’re on to a fault that could be repaired rather than just replaced.

·
Loving It
28 Posts
Re mirrors

Hi aku-aku, yes the fold in fold out gears have been sheared off, the covers and glass are suprisingly ok both have been hit right on the end and moved back and stripped the gears inside. So I dont really need the paint coloured covers or mirror just the left and right piece. I have to take the inside door cover off to change.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have never replaced the geared part of my mirrors - just the glass and repainted the cast metal part. Looking at the photo of your car I think you have the slightly updated version of the mirrors that were fitted to the preface lifted models. I have the oldest version being a 2007 model. I would try a wreckers yard first. I think the Golf MkVI might be the same as yours. Mine are the same as the Golf MkV. The base on the Golf is plastic not cast metal as in the Eos but the internal gear mechanisms might be the same. The mirrors are the same as the Golf.

If no luck at a wreckers yard it is a trip to a VW dealer and be prepared for a price shock.

I purchased from ECS Tuning heated blind spot mirrors which have been excellent. I think they only do up to the 2008 US model though.

Good Luck.

·
Loving It
28 Posts
Hi mate, yes I got a price of $900 to replace the 2 of them from JH Vic Park.Pretty expensive. I have tried wreckers here and over east but not much luck. I think the Golf is very similar its just the electrics can be different. I will just keep looking. Thanks for your help .

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ouch - I thought they might be expensive. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi mate, yes I got a price of $900 to replace the 2 of them from JH Vic Park.Pretty expensive. I have tried wreckers here and over east but not much luck. I think the Golf is very similar its just the electrics can be different. I will just keep looking. Thanks for your help .
Good god, John Hughes really knows how to stick it to you-I bought a Hyundai Sonata a few years ago from him and he wanted $550 for a service 3 months later!
They are not quite as bad back here in blighty, but they are bad the world over. I worked in Vic Pk a few years ago for Swan Taxis-I was their training manager for a while.

Tony.

·
Loving It
28 Posts
I know I’m not scratchedeos, but I usually look around on eBay. German eBay is often a good bet, as there are several car breakers on there that list all their parts.

When you say the gear mechanisms have stripped, are you referring to part of the folding mechanism? I’ve had trouble with the fold mechanism before and just bought a ”new” mirror, but I’m wondering if you’re on to a fault that could be repaired rather than just replaced.
Hi Aku Aku the mirrors themselves move ok but the folding in gears seem stripped, both sides have been hit on the ends and moved back all the outside is fine. I have been quoted $800 for the right hand side and $600 for the left hand side to replace from the dealer. I have searched for wreckers but not much luck. My roof has a plastic piece that has failed and the draw wire has snapped they quoted me $3K to sort out also. I have left it and cant use the roof and the side moirris moved a bit with the wind. Might have to bite the bullit and pay the Dollars.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I bought two used pre-facelift Powerfolds for £50 each for MY07 in the wrong color but in very good condition. Aku correctly told me I could swap the covers over, but decided to get get them painted locally for £50. I've now got a pair of PF mirrors with all the options inside and in matching color for £150. Plus I have the original manual folds in good condition. Your options finding Powerfolds to match your car color will be low. If you get desperate, you should find plenty of manual folding heated mirrors which are a straight swap & compatible with your controllers after re-coding. Aku will confirm, but I think Golf mirrors are the same for the older EOSs.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hi Aku Aku the mirrors themselves move ok but the folding in gears seem stripped, both sides have been hit on the ends and moved back all the outside is fine. I have been quoted $800 for the right hand side and $600 for the left hand side to replace from the dealer. I have searched for wreckers but not much luck. My roof has a plastic piece that has failed and the draw wire has snapped they quoted me $3K to sort out also. I have left it and cant use the roof and the side moirris moved a bit with the wind. Might have to bite the bullit and pay the Dollars.
What makes you say that the folding in gears seem stripped?

If you're at least slightly mechanically minded, you can strip down the mirror and figure out which part of it is broken. This is how I did it. You should be able to do it with the mirror on the car, but it's a fiddly job. If you need to remove the motor, you'll probably either want to or have to take the mirror off the car to reattach the powerful spring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts