Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2009 eos Komfort that has a working roof, but it’s had an auto accident. I did not have insurance and we paid out of pocket to fix water pump, radiator, and such. Also took it to a reputable mechanic here and got parts replaced in engine and new timing belts. Needs a new turbo eventually and we never got the bumper fixed. The bumper will cost 1390 to fix and the turbo 2500. We’ve already lost 1490 fixing the belt and 600 on other parts plus the 1300 we paid after the wreck. Oh and a new windshield. The drivers side seat isn’t working. I paid originally 5500 for the car and it has 125,000 miles on it. Reputable mechanic says it should last into the 200ks as long as the turbo is replaced and the oil changes are kept up to date. What do you guys think? Is this worth selling? What could I make out of it? Or should I just keep it till I can fix it myself and have it for a really long time. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
You will never get back what you paid as the car is worth less as it gets older until it becomes vintage. What you have to consider is what you can get for it now and how much you need to pay for another car. The reputable mechanic is only talking about engine life and parts he knows about, not the whole car including the electrics and roof system. He may want to keep you and your car as a 'cash cow' for him. If he is that confident, ask him to buy your car!

It sounds like you have already thrown a lot of money at garage repairs and not done much yourself or tried yet? Once you look at what you might sell your car for 'as is' and what you would have to pay for something else (newer?) you can consider the uncertain risk of attempting your own repairs - but parts will still be expensive and your car will be a non-runner whilst working on it. Generally people who keep older cars with very little resale value are enthusiasts who are competent at DIY repairs, have plenty of time and use of a second car (or bicycle!).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts