Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys.
You guys are great and hope everyone is safe!
I am a new owner of an 2010 EOS. I have owned different cars like mazda and toyota on which i set up my own backup cameras.
I usually get a cheap number plate backup camera, connect the power able with the reverse light and i get the video feed in my aftermarket stereo.

For the EOS, the number plate is at the bottom, not on the trunk lid. The reverse light is on the trunk lid. I could have done it but the thing is the trunk flings both sides for which I am not sure how can I connect the power cable to the reverse light.

Secondly. What is the best way to route the cable from the back to the center console? Do I need to drill any holes or is there any other alternatives? Thank you in Advance!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Have you thought about getting the proper reversing camera that fits in the badge on the trunk? You wouldn't even need an aftermarket stereo that way.

To get to the reversing light connection, you will have to remove the trunk lid trim. If you want to route the wire to the number plate, you will have to remove the trunk side trim and may have to put the roof into the service position to get the wire where it needs to go. You should also get the right connectors so you don't have to cut into the wiring loom: part numbers 1J0972702 and 1J0972712 give you a plug and socket that you can use and make your retrofit reversible - which is a good idea in case you get something wrong, or want to sell the car.

To route the wire from your head unit to the back of the car, you should go along one side. Remove the rear seat base (yank it up and out) then undo the side trim (two screws at the bottom, one by the seat belt, then ease it up and out). You should then be able to remove the kick strip (just pull it up) and front side trim - if you're on the side with the hood release, you need to pop out the retaining clip at the back of the hood release with a flathead screwdriver, remove the hood release handle, then undo the plastic screw that it reveals; on the other side it just pulls off. That should get you the access you need.

Alternatively, sit tight - I've got a reversing camera I want to fit, and I'll be writing up how to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The question is how can connect the camera cables? The camera is mounted on the top of the number plate. Is there any way to feed the wire into the trunk space from the number plate location without drilling holes?

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you take the bumper off (and to do that, first you need to remove the tail lights) then you should be able to thread a wire through where the cable for the number plate light and the parking sensors comes out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my 2015 I could get access to the reversing lights by simply dropping the felt interior panel. I did not have to totally remove it to gain access to the reversing light wire. Down in the trunk itself you can pull out the trunk latch panel and a side interior panel (left or right side) and remove a big foam block in a bag that reveals access to the rear seat.
pic06.jpg

Access to the license plate area required drilling one small hole through the metal, then fish the wire in from the license plate lamp hole.
pic07.jpg
I came down the right side of the car because that was the side my dashcam wires were. The fuse box is to the left of the steering wheel so perhaps the left side is better for you.
My apologies if the 2015 is different from the 2010 and all this is bad information for you. We don't see many EOS's here in the USA, and no older ones.

·
Registered
932 Posts
On my 2015 I could get access to the reversing lights by simply dropping the felt interior panel. I did not have to totally remove it to gain access to the reversing light wire.
How did you get a wire from the reversing light wire to the rest of the wiring, though? You need to take the rest of the trunk liner off to route the wire properly (i.e. without it being seen). I did this recently with the proper reversing camera - details here, it's not difficult.

My apologies if the 2015 is different from the 2010 and all this is bad information for you. We don't see many EOS's here in the USA, and no older ones.
The details you provided from your facelift Eos are exactly the same as for a pre-facelift Eos. The differences are between LHD and RHD cars. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts