Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm considering installing an RNS315 into my EOS and would appreciate any information regarding its use in daylight with the top down.
The concern is screen visibility and "washout"
Thanks
Edward

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have a clone which is too bright at night so I dim the display. Mine is hard to see the display with the top down, so I usually make all the screen selections beforehand.

The center console is angled to hit your eyes sideways when sat in the seat, which is often the angle of sun when it is behind you. There are few color displays that work well with sun on them. O led is very bright but not many of those in devices yet. If they had made the radio housing or display panel to tilt downwards like the steering wheel, then a better compromise viewing angle could have been found.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a clone which is too bright at night so I dim the display. Mine is hard to see the display with the top down, so I usually make all the screen selections beforehand.

The center console is angled to hit your eyes sideways when sat in the seat, which is often the angle of sun when it is behind you. There are few color displays that work well with sun on them. O led is very bright but not many of those in devices yet. If they had made the radio housing or display panel to tilt downwards like the steering wheel, then a better compromise viewing angle could have been found.
I completely agree with you Voxmagna I wish it had a dimmed memory setting when the headlights are turned on or works with the auto mode so I can have them set as bright as possible or even if it could have its own memory setting for when the roof is down working with the climatic control but still dims with the headlights on.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Auto dimming could be fairly easy to design in. Either using the VW rain/daylight sensor if you have it and working with their oem radio, or a light sensor built into the radio front panel. My clone has neither - it is a manual push to dim button.:(

The big problem is high brightness able to cope with sunlight. How many people have you seen struggling to take photos on an ipad or digicam with sun behind them! So far only O led offers the high brightness. Some cellphones use it, but it is still technology in the wings waiting to be affordable in large sizes. I think it will come to small satnav products first. Then the display will look as bright as the printed sheet they show as part of the packaging!

I'm afraid the convenient touch screen and video display has its downsides, compared to a double line bright green led, knobs and buttons!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine is the oem RNS 510 and has the VW rain/daylight sensor and yo would have though they would have merged the two together and with the climate control roof up or down options which my car also has but no it does work with any of these at all and just has one brightness setting no matter what condition you use the RNS 510 system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts