Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Volkswagen Eos, Komfort 2.0L
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question. HERE Navigation says the final maps issued back in 2018 is the last version for this system. Will other maps work with this system, or would a third party provide newer maps in the future?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I doubt other maps will work because the manufacturers particularly V.W go to a lot of trouble to licence and lock them down to the hardware they install to and their hardware is bespoke. That said, there are RNS510 Chinese look alikes about and they could be shipping them with 'customised (?)' map sets. But don't expect to drive into a V.W Stealership for a future update!

I'm moving to Android now because the open standards platform offers more opportunities to use 3rd party mapping software including Google maps over 4G phone data.

I've had an iGo mapset in my Chinese clone for years. The maps are out of date but I'm using up to date 3rd party speedcam data which loads as custom POIs. The main disadvantage of out of date maps is new housing villages appear as green fields and roundabouts added or new roads aren't always visible, but I can still work with that

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get a Garmin Sat Nav.
Park your car up and every night it connects to your home wi-fi and does any updates it needs to do.
(Local construction/road works etc)
Before you leave it has already predicted your commute to work and found the best route.
One day it will be this way, the next day a different way, but always the best way to avoid jams.
It's 2022 by the way 😉

·
Registered
2015 Volkswagen Eos, Komfort 2.0L
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a Garmin Sat Nav.
Park your car up and every night it connects to your home wi-fi and does any updates it needs to do.
(Local construction/road works etc)
Before you leave it has already predicted your commute to work and found the best route.
One day it will be this way, the next day a different way, but always the best way to avoid jams.
It's 2022 by the way 😉
I like how the RNS 510 interacts with the MFI display. Also, I don’t like added accessories on the car. Especially a convertible.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I used to use TomTom because the RCD300 had no satnav. I disliked having it stuck on a vent mount with cables trailing, although I was going to run a cable inside the dash for it. The screen is small too. Having a full size touch screen on the head unit with good sound coming from the car speakers is a better permanent solution. The V.W nav units IMHO are well thought out and integrate their features well for driving. The satnav voice is overlaid over the radio or tunes selection - great for speed cam warnings. I still use the TomTom as 'grab and go' for other cars. I avoid setting options for 'background updates' - had too many break software part way through a download and you need always on power which adds to battery drain.

I've yet to see how my Android alternative works for driver friendly functionality. But I'm busy re-engineering the EOS antenna system at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts