Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a recommendation for a back up camera kit for my RNS510 in my 09 Eos.

I currently have a wireless back up camera that came with a small monitor that works fairly well.

However, to clean up the interior a bit and rid my car of the extra monitor, I would like to incorporate it into my RNS510 screen.

Due to the expense, I definitely do not want the retractable Emblem style.

There are quite a few retrofit style back up camera kits on ebay that will work with the RNS510, according to their advertising.

Does anyone have personal experience and/or recommendations?

Thanks

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looking for a recommendation for a back up camera kit for my RNS510 in my 09 Eos.

I currently have a wireless back up camera that came with a small monitor that works fairly well.

However, to clean up the interior a bit and rid my car of the extra monitor, I would like to incorporate it into my RNS510 screen.

Due to the expense, I definitely do not want the retractable Emblem style.

There are quite a few retrofit style back up camera kits on ebay that will work with the RNS510, according to their advertising.

Does anyone have personal experience and/or recommendations?

Thanks
I will be interested to read any replies you receive on this one David as I am also keen to get some type of reversing camera kit for my RNS510. I have been given a quotation of $1150 (Australian) to supply and fit an OEM retractable emblem style kit.

Russ

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be interested to read any replies you receive on this one David as I am also keen to get some type of reversing camera kit for my RNS510. I have been given a quotation of $1150 (Australian) to supply and fit an OEM retractable emblem style kit.

Russ
There are several on ebay that are fairly inexpensive, however, it is impossible to tell how the camera mounts to the rear. It appears to not be a license plate frame type of mounting.

Since I can't tell how it is mounted, I am not going to jump into this. I don't want a huge hole.

I currently have a license plate frame style camera mount which is not very intrusive to the body work of the car.

I will probably keep my current set up until I can find someone who has actually installed one of these and can explain the mounting hardware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290977990226?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=290977990226&_rdc=1

Also, there are a few that are cheaper if you purchase direct from China. The one above is a Chinese product but is coming from a seller in the U.S. who is obviously Chinese as well. You can tell by the fact that his English is not perfect.

The one that I have given a link to is the one that we would want. There are several for Tiguans but they have a hatch handle camera mount that will not work for the Eos.

Do an Ebay search and you will find all the ones I did.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As per my thread below I have installed one of the following camera's http://www.ebay.com/itm/171036204250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
but the VW service dept was unable to program it to work and so far no one has replied to let me know if what the service dept is telling me is in fact correct.
I will let you know what your problem is in a couple of weeks or so. I ordered the Rear View Back UP System that you linked to. Did it this morning. I have been studying this very inexpensive option for a while.

Most likely your VW Service Department does not know how to activate the back up option in your main computer. I have the Ross-Tech VAGCom that can do this, so if my camera does not work either, it is a problem with the product.

I will find out relatively soon.:D However, this particular seller has sold over 50 of these camera kits on ebay without any problems so I feel confident about my purchase.

Also, did you recheck your wiring by redoing all the connections? Soldering them is the best way to make fool proof connections. Sometimes these Scotch Locks or Quick Connects do not make a connection when they are squeezed shut.

There is a possibility that you don't have a 12 volt power connection, based on the fact that the Service Department's computer can't find the camera in their scan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will let you know what your problem is in a couple of weeks or so. I ordered the Rear View Back UP System that you linked to. Did it this morning. I have been studying this very inexpensive option for a while.
I am following this thread with interest and look forward to your opinion of the unit once it's been fitted.
Russ

·
Registered
21 Posts

Most likely your VW Service Department does not know how to activate the back up option in your main computer. I have the Ross-Tech VAGCom that can do this, so if my camera does not work either, it is a problem with the product.

I will find out relatively soon.:D However, this particular seller has sold over 50 of these camera kits on ebay without any problems so I feel confident about my purchase.

Also, did you recheck your wiring by redoing all the connections? Soldering them is the best way to make fool proof connections. Sometimes these Scotch Locks or Quick Connects do not make a connection when they are squeezed shut.

There is a possibility that you don't have a 12 volt power connection, based on the fact that the Service Department's computer can't find the camera in their scan.
Thanks for the reply, yes I have rechecked all connections and confirmed it is getting power to the camera. I had soldered all connections in the install.
One point to note is that power from the connection to the reverse light on the trunk lid is removed when the trunk lid is open so the trunk lid needs to be closed for the camera to work. Maybe the VW dealer was trying to program it with the trunk lid open. I had copied out the VCDS program for them from the sellers website.
My car is a 2012 and does have a RCD510 not an RNS510 but it is the same unit as in the latest Golf and that car is available with a factory fitted reverse camera and the website does say it works with the RCD510.
The car also has the self park system which works great.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One point to note is that power from the connection to the reverse light on the trunk lid is removed when the trunk lid is open so the trunk lid needs to be closed for the camera to work.
Yes, I am glad you mentioned that. Hopefully that is what your problem was when the VW service department was trying to enable your back up camera.

When I installed my current wireless back up system this past year, I had forgotten that fact and it took me almost an hour to figure out what I was doing wrong.:D That was definitely a Duhhhh moment.:eek:

Hopefully I will get delivery of this new system soon and get to work on it.

I am really looking forward to getting my RNS510 large screen activated for reverse views so that I can replace the very small monitor that is mounted on the lower part of my console.

It will also clean up my interior a bit.

It is too bad you don't have your own Ross-Tech VAGCom cable. By just eliminating a couple of dealership visits, it pays for itself. Then you would have the ability to do a lot of things without having to depend on huge dealership labor costs.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noted the post copied below in the "Rear Badge reverse camera installation" thread.

I installed the OEM version from carsystems.pl as well to a RNS315. I had to modify two locations using VCDS since the car came with Park Distance Control.

In Navigation, Byte 3 bit 6 and in Park Assist byte 0 bit 4.

Works great.

I have sent the following question to the supplier to see if I get any answer.
"I installed the camera and took it to the local VW dealer to activate but they were unable to program the camera to work and said the following.
"Sorry the programming was unsuccessful as we could not get the camera unit to talk to the car".
My 2012 Eos is fitted with an RCD510 unit, PDC, (Park Distance Control) and Park Assist with Park Pilot.
Does a car fitted with those items require a different VCDS program to get the camera to work.
I copied out the VCDS program from the auction but that did not work so am now unsure if the camera is faulty or just incorrectly programmed.
Please advise thanks."

I think the problem may lie in my car being factory fitted with the Park Pilot system as well as PDC and Park Assist.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I noted the post copied below in the "Rear Badge reverse camera installation" thread.

I installed the OEM version from carsystems.pl as well to a RNS315. I had to modify two locations using VCDS since the car came with Park Distance Control.

In Navigation, Byte 3 bit 6 and in Park Assist byte 0 bit 4.

Works great.

I have sent the following question to the supplier to see if I get any answer.
"I installed the camera and took it to the local VW dealer to activate but they were unable to program the camera to work and said the following.
"Sorry the programming was unsuccessful as we could not get the camera unit to talk to the car".
My 2012 Eos is fitted with an RCD510 unit, PDC, (Park Distance Control) and Park Assist with Park Pilot.
Does a car fitted with those items require a different VCDS program to get the camera to work.
I copied out the VCDS program from the auction but that did not work so am now unsure if the camera is faulty or just incorrectly programmed.
Please advise thanks."

I think the problem may lie in my car being factory fitted with the Park Pilot system as well as PDC and Park Assist.
Yes, it is possible that your park assist is the problem. If that is true, what a bummer, huh?

As the old saying goes, "We giveth and we taketh away.:mad:

Unfortunately, we don't have that option in the U.S. of A. and most likely because most of our parking is not parallel.

Still, it would be fun to have.:)

Fortunately for me, when I applied for my first driver's license as a 16 year old, as part of the test, I was required to parallel park. So, I did some practicing in advance.

Now, when I see drivers in my country who were never required to learn parallel parking, it is quite hilarious. It is also quite destructive on the vehicles in front and in back of them, especially for their bumpers. :) Sometimes we really need that feature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, it is possible that your park assist is the problem. If that is true, what a bummer, huh?

As the old saying goes, "We giveth and we taketh away.:mad:

Unfortunately, we don't have that option in the U.S. of A. and most likely because most of our parking is not parallel.

Still, it would be fun to have.:)

Fortunately for me, when I applied for my first driver's license as a 16 year old, as part of the test, I was required to parallel park. So, I did some practicing in advance.

Now, when I see drivers in my country who were never required to learn parallel parking, it is quite hilarious. It is also quite destructive on the vehicles in front and in back of them, especially for their bumpers. :) Sometimes we really need that feature.
The system will angle park as well but it reverses the car in which is illegal here in New Zealand.
We live in a small town and hardly ever use it but it does work great.
Lived in a large town when I ordered the car.
I have had the following reply from the camera system supplier.

"Dear Customer,
thanks for your contact.
this is problem of the activation.
some vw dealer using VAG COM, and they did not activate it completely, so the headunit can not find the camera.
if the vw dealer using the VCDS tool, and do the following, it must work, because we test each camera before shipping, please check attached picture.
module 56, code cotrol 07, bit 6 need to be ticked, after activation, need to be rebooted.
or please check the activation list on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171036204250"

I will probably by a VCDS system and try it myself.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply, yes I have rechecked all connections and confirmed it is getting power to the camera. I had soldered all connections in the install.
One point to note is that power from the connection to the reverse light on the trunk lid is removed when the trunk lid is open so the trunk lid needs to be closed for the camera to work. Maybe the VW dealer was trying to program it with the trunk lid open. I had copied out the VCDS program for them from the sellers website.
My car is a 2012 and does have a RCD510 not an RNS510 but it is the same unit as in the latest Golf and that car is available with a factory fitted reverse camera and the website does say it works with the RCD510.
The car also has the self park system which works great.
Okay, I received and installed this system several days ago.

After approximately 30 hours of actual permanent installation and attempting to code this system to my RNS 510 and writing about 7 messages back and forth to the seller seeking advice, I have had no joy. I finally gave up and removed it from my 09 Eos RNS510. The seller has no more advice to give me. He is as stumped as I am.

Within the next couple of days I will attempt to code it to my 13 CC, RNS315 using only a temporary installation with all wires outside of the vehicle.

Since I was going to eventually install a Back Up camera on this vehicle, I might as well try it since it is a "Bird in the Hand".

If it doesn't work on the RNS315 either, the seller indicated he will refund my payment.

It looks as though if I want an operational Back UP Camera for my Eos RNS510, I will have to spend more than what this one cost. It is too bad since this unit only cost $93 and appears to be built quite well with a simple installation process.

In the mean time, with all the hours I have spent trying to code this system to my RNS510, I certainly have gleaned a tremendous amount of information as to what my Ross-Tech VAGCOM is capable of.

This Ross-Tech Product should be the first product a VW or Audi owner should purchase and learn how to use. However, if one has very deep pockets, buy it for a friend and let him or her do the work for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Disappointing news David :(
Hope it works out on the CC

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay, I received and installed this system several days ago.

After approximately 30 hours of actual permanent installation and attempting to code this system to my RNS 510 and writing about 7 messages back and forth to the seller seeking advice, I have had no joy. I finally gave up and removed it from my 09 Eos RNS510. The seller has no more advice to give me. He is as stumped as I am.

Within the next couple of days I will attempt to code it to my 13 CC, RNS315 using only a temporary installation with all wires outside of the vehicle.

Since I was going to eventually install a Back Up camera on this vehicle, I might as well try it since it is a "Bird in the Hand".

If it doesn't work on the RNS315 either, the seller indicated he will refund my payment.

It looks as though if I want an operational Back UP Camera for my Eos RNS510, I will have to spend more than what this one cost. It is too bad since this unit only cost $93 and appears to be built quite well with a simple installation process.

In the mean time, with all the hours I have spent trying to code this system to my RNS510, I certainly have gleaned a tremendous amount of information as to what my Ross-Tech VAGCOM is capable of.

This Ross-Tech Product should be the first product a VW or Audi owner should purchase and learn how to use. However, if one has very deep pockets, buy it for a friend and let him or her do the work for you.
Thanks for that, maybe I just give up as well. I dont usually keep cars long as I enjoy ordering and waiting for the new car to arrive but I really like the Eos. It replaced our Bentley GTC that was just going out of warranty period.
Thought I would keep the Eos for a while but could not order it with a reverse camera and it looks like they no longer sell new Eos in New Zealand.
Maybe the upcoming Mercedes C class convertible would be a replacement for it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Problems solved!!

I finally got this camera coded to both my Eos, RNS510 and CC, RNS315.

With some help from the seller and some trial and error on my part, I now have a great operational camera for only $93.

I ordered a second one tonight but in the mean time, I will install the one that I already have in my possession to my Eos, RNS510.

When I get the second one, I will install it in the CC, RNS315.

Let me know what radio you are installing it to and I can give you a couple of helpful tips.

It was all about coding.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I finally got this camera coded to both my Eos, RNS510 and CC, RNS315.

With some help from the seller and some trial and error on my part, I now have a great operational camera for only $93.

I ordered a second one tonight but in the mean time, I will install the one that I already have in my possession to my Eos, RNS510.

When I get the second one, I will install it in the CC, RNS315.

Let me know what radio you are installing it to and I can give you a couple of helpful tips.

It was all about coding.:D
Great that you finally got it to work.
We are coding to a RCD510 and would be real pleased to hear the actual coding required.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts