Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

RNS510 Back Up Camera Kit?

31K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  kayakdave 
#1 ·
Looking for a recommendation for a back up camera kit for my RNS510 in my 09 Eos.

I currently have a wireless back up camera that came with a small monitor that works fairly well.

However, to clean up the interior a bit and rid my car of the extra monitor, I would like to incorporate it into my RNS510 screen.

Due to the expense, I definitely do not want the retractable Emblem style.

There are quite a few retrofit style back up camera kits on ebay that will work with the RNS510, according to their advertising.

Does anyone have personal experience and/or recommendations?

Thanks

#2 ·
I will be interested to read any replies you receive on this one David as I am also keen to get some type of reversing camera kit for my RNS510. I have been given a quotation of $1150 (Australian) to supply and fit an OEM retractable emblem style kit.

Russ

#4 ·
There are several on ebay that are fairly inexpensive, however, it is impossible to tell how the camera mounts to the rear. It appears to not be a license plate frame type of mounting.

Since I can't tell how it is mounted, I am not going to jump into this. I don't want a huge hole.

I currently have a license plate frame style camera mount which is not very intrusive to the body work of the car.

I will probably keep my current set up until I can find someone who has actually installed one of these and can explain the mounting hardware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29097799022...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=290977990226&_rdc=1

Also, there are a few that are cheaper if you purchase direct from China. The one above is a Chinese product but is coming from a seller in the U.S. who is obviously Chinese as well. You can tell by the fact that his English is not perfect.

The one that I have given a link to is the one that we would want. There are several for Tiguans but they have a hatch handle camera mount that will not work for the Eos.

Do an Ebay search and you will find all the ones I did.

#3 ·
#5 · (Edited)
I will let you know what your problem is in a couple of weeks or so. I ordered the Rear View Back UP System that you linked to. Did it this morning. I have been studying this very inexpensive option for a while.

Most likely your VW Service Department does not know how to activate the back up option in your main computer. I have the Ross-Tech VAGCom that can do this, so if my camera does not work either, it is a problem with the product.

I will find out relatively soon.:D However, this particular seller has sold over 50 of these camera kits on ebay without any problems so I feel confident about my purchase.

Also, did you recheck your wiring by redoing all the connections? Soldering them is the best way to make fool proof connections. Sometimes these Scotch Locks or Quick Connects do not make a connection when they are squeezed shut.

There is a possibility that you don't have a 12 volt power connection, based on the fact that the Service Department's computer can't find the camera in their scan.

#10 ·
I noted the post copied below in the "Rear Badge reverse camera installation" thread.

I installed the OEM version from carsystems.pl as well to a RNS315. I had to modify two locations using VCDS since the car came with Park Distance Control.

In Navigation, Byte 3 bit 6 and in Park Assist byte 0 bit 4.

Works great.

I have sent the following question to the supplier to see if I get any answer.
"I installed the camera and took it to the local VW dealer to activate but they were unable to program the camera to work and said the following.
"Sorry the programming was unsuccessful as we could not get the camera unit to talk to the car".
My 2012 Eos is fitted with an RCD510 unit, PDC, (Park Distance Control) and Park Assist with Park Pilot.
Does a car fitted with those items require a different VCDS program to get the camera to work.
I copied out the VCDS program from the auction but that did not work so am now unsure if the camera is faulty or just incorrectly programmed.
Please advise thanks."

I think the problem may lie in my car being factory fitted with the Park Pilot system as well as PDC and Park Assist.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, it is possible that your park assist is the problem. If that is true, what a bummer, huh?

As the old saying goes, "We giveth and we taketh away.:mad:

Unfortunately, we don't have that option in the U.S. of A. and most likely because most of our parking is not parallel.

Still, it would be fun to have.:)

Fortunately for me, when I applied for my first driver's license as a 16 year old, as part of the test, I was required to parallel park. So, I did some practicing in advance.

Now, when I see drivers in my country who were never required to learn parallel parking, it is quite hilarious. It is also quite destructive on the vehicles in front and in back of them, especially for their bumpers. :) Sometimes we really need that feature.

#15 ·
Disappointing news David :(
Hope it works out on the CC

#17 ·
Unfortunately after spending a few hours trying to make it function on my CC RNS315, I had no luck there either.

It is going back tomorrow.

It really is disappointing. Was hoping to have a nice backup camera by this time on both cars.:(

#18 ·
Problems solved!!

I finally got this camera coded to both my Eos, RNS510 and CC, RNS315.

With some help from the seller and some trial and error on my part, I now have a great operational camera for only $93.

I ordered a second one tonight but in the mean time, I will install the one that I already have in my possession to my Eos, RNS510.

When I get the second one, I will install it in the CC, RNS315.

Let me know what radio you are installing it to and I can give you a couple of helpful tips.

It was all about coding.:D

#19 ·
I finally got this camera coded to both my Eos, RNS510 and CC, RNS315.

With some help from the seller and some trial and error on my part, I now have a great operational camera for only $93.

I ordered a second one tonight but in the mean time, I will install the one that I already have in my possession to my Eos, RNS510.

When I get the second one, I will install it in the CC, RNS315.

Let me know what radio you are installing it to and I can give you a couple of helpful tips.

It was all about coding.:D
Great that you finally got it to work.
We are coding to a RCD510 and would be real pleased to hear the actual coding required.

#21 ·
A huge Improvement and Fantastic Seller

It is really nice to be able to unclutter my interior a bit by getting rid of my tiny back up camera monitor and have this nice quality unit installed to my RNS510.

The price of $93 including shipping and fantastic "after sale service" is an added bonus. The shipping time from China only took 10 days to Arizona.

Silken Lee is a great person to deal with and very concerned that all his customers are 100% satisfied. My questions were answered very quickly. Never more than 3 hours and sometimes within minutes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171036204250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

After finally figuring out where I was going wrong with the coding, I now have a great picture of what is behind me when backing up and guide lines to tell me where my car is in relation to the environment.

Can't wait to get my second one that I ordered last night. It will go into my CC, RNS315 which I have already coded for it.

When my wife is going somewhere without me, she drives the CC. She is really going to love this too. She doesn't know I ordered it. Surprise!!!

They also have the "VW Emblem" hidden cameras but they are a bit over my budget considering the fact that I wanted to outfit 2 cars.

#26 ·
It was my understanding that there are two back-up camera set-ups for VWs. There is 'low' version that does not require the extra module. This version has guide lines that do NOT move in response to steering input. There is also a 'high' version that does require the module and this provides moving guide lines.

We have a 2012 SEL Tiguan that has the 'high' version and it works very well with the RNS510 that came standard on our SEL. Several Tig owners whose rides did not come with standard back-up cameras have successfully installed the 'low' version with their RNS315. From what I recall, the coding seemed fairly straightforward. Many have used the instructions that have been posted in the Golf or TDI forums.

#29 ·
Bruce,

David Paul is no longer active on this forum.

#30 ·
EOS Backup Camera

I have a 2014 EOS with the RNS351 and backup sensors and I was successful in installing a backup camera that I purchased for $93 on eBay.

RGB Parking Camera for RNS315 RNS510/810 RCD510 Rear View Reverse Backup Camera https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-Parkin...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I purchased a VCDS VAG COM kit from Ross Tech to do the installation which added to the cost but I am very happy with the results.

David Paul is no longer active on this forum, I'd be happy to help if anyone is trying to do the same.

Cheers,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.