Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a new Eos owner I am keen to make the most of its functions so finding out I could chuck loads or music on an SD card I ordered one straight away.
After looking through the manual I settled for a 32Gb SDHC card as the manual states that's the max it can take. This is the card I have.

When I loaded some music on it and plugged it into the RNS510 it gave me a 'SD card error' message. Having trawled google I have decided I might need to upgrade my firmware, so I set about finding what version I have. I held that Setup button for a full minute and only got 1 menu pop up with the choices: FM, AM & DAB on it. No further menu's and no other choices. And definately no Version info.

So, am I correct in thinking I need to upgrade the firmware?
How do I upgrade the firmware?
Whats the latest version?
What's the minimum version I need for the 32Gb SDHC card to work?
Anyone got an old firmware disc they don't want?

cheers guys n gals

Marcus

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Being a new Eos owner I am keen to make the most of its functions so finding out I could chuck loads or music on an SD card I ordered one straight away.
After looking through the manual I settled for a 32Gb SDHC card as the manual states that's the max it can take. This is the card I have.

When I loaded some music on it and plugged it into the RNS510 it gave me a 'SD card error' message. Having trawled google I have decided I might need to upgrade my firmware, so I set about finding what version I have. I held that Setup button for a full minute and only got 1 menu pop up with the choices: FM, AM & DAB on it. No further menu's and no other choices. And definately no Version info.

So, am I correct in thinking I need to upgrade the firmware?
How do I upgrade the firmware?
Whats the latest version?
What's the minimum version I need for the 32Gb SDHC card to work?
Anyone got an old firmware disc they don't want?

cheers guys n gals

Marcus
Hi Marcus I am sure there are two buttons that you have to hold down to get your map, hardware and software versions, but I cant remember which ones. Just had a brain wave I believe it's the top two on the right have to be pushed down together and held for thirty seconds. Mick

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

·
Administrator
2,495 Posts
Before doing anything else, make sure the SDHC card has been formatted as FAT32 - NTFS formatted cards will not work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've now got a copy of RNS510 firmware v4120 with the following version info:

--------------------------------------------
Software Loading CD for CP2 based units
(c) CONTINENTAL Wetzlar

CdTreeBuilder version 3.06 is used.

#CD:p 0 0 5 . 5 4 1 . 9 0 1
#DATE:2012-03-16

#Project: VWRNS
#Author: SaRo
#Steckbrief: C_EU_16.120_t2 C10/C12/C6

#CommentStart:
This is a SWL CD for VW delivery.

#CommentEnd:

#Integrationphase: Delivery cw22/12 C10/C12/C6-samples
#VwSwPartNumber:1T0035680D/3T0035680B/7F0035680A/7E0035680A/1T0035680H/1T0035680J/3T0035680E/3T0035680F
#VwSwIndex:4120/4120/4120/4120
#AppsBuild:C_EU_16.120_t2 C10/C12/C6

#CRC16:826c

When I put it in the CD drive of the RNS510 I get the following message:

What does that mean and how do I change the clamp state?

What other problems might I encounter while updating the firmware?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've now got a copy of RNS510 firmware v4120 with the following version info:

Software Loading CD for CP2 based units
(c) CONTINENTAL Wetzlar

CdTreeBuilder version 3.06 is used.

#CD:p 0 0 5 . 5 4 1 . 9 0 1
#DATE:2012-03-16

#Project: VWRNS
#Author: SaRo
#Steckbrief: C_EU_16.120_t2 C10/C12/C6

#CommentStart:
This is a SWL CD for VW delivery.

#CommentEnd:

#Integrationphase: Delivery cw22/12 C10/C12/C6-samples
#VwSwPartNumber:1T0035680D/3T0035680B/7F0035680A/7E0035680A/1T0035680H/1T0035680J/3T0035680E/3T0035680F
#VwSwIndex:4120/4120/4120/4120
#AppsBuild:C_EU_16.120_t2 C10/C12/C6

#CRC16:826c

When I put it in the CD drive of the RNS510 I get the following message:

What does that mean and how do I change the clamp state?

What other problems might I encounter while updating the firmware?
If you can't find the answer here you might have to join vwnavi and ask that question there they will know. Mick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Mick,

I've registered and posted on Navi and am just waiting for a mod to approve the post.

In the meantime, how do I fond out what rev model RNS 510 I have and therefore what hardware part number it is? I want to make sure I have a compatible fw version.

Marcus

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I now have a few different versions of firmware as I thought I would have to go up in levels. I installed v1200 without issue then jumped straight to v3810. This has given me a warm feeling and a load of new features.
It's nice to have voice control but I don't think I have a microphone as she says "what?" all the time... lol. I might look at fitting one, I presume it goes in the roof panel by the courtesy lights.

I decided to push my luck and went for an upgrade to v5218 but it didn't like that at all so I tried v4120 and had the same problems so had to reinstall v3810.
When I left it last night it was installing the maps and Nav info. The wife has the car today so I will look later and see if the Nav and 32Gb SDHC card works.

I noticed with v1200 I got Regensburg Syndrome on the Nav so I'm hoping that has gone away.

I did notice while I was messing about last night that on the MFD I have lost Nav and Audio (I now only have Settings and MFD). Is this something I need to change with VCDS? Is there anything else I can do with that?

Once I get the new maps sorted I'll get them installed, hopefully that will be a walk in the park for me.

After the software is up to date and settled in I am interested in other upgrades. Some of these I presume will connect to the back of the RNS 510 so should be done at the same time...

I want to be able to connect my iPhone to play music (MDI connector in the glove box?) and connect via bluetooth for hands-free by fitting the bluetooth module that works with iPhone (I believe this module will do the job) remember I don't think I have a mic fitted so need to sort that as well. I also want full interoperability with the Gucci little RNS 510 head unit which is why I would prefer to avoid after market stuff like Parrot.

Has anyone else done this? DIY project or pay for VW to do it?

I'm also curious about under seat drawers. Is there room for a drawer and the bluetooth module?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. By the same token I am happy to help others with my limited but growing knowledge.

I seem to have gone a bit off topic. I understand that I might need to create a new post for each topic concerned here.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I now have a few different versions of firmware as I thought I would have to go up in levels. I installed v1200 without issue then jumped straight to v3810. This has given me a warm feeling and a load of new features.
It's nice to have voice control but I don't think I have a microphone as she says "what?" all the time... lol. I might look at fitting one, I presume it goes in the roof panel by the courtesy lights.

I decided to push my luck and went for an upgrade to v5218 but it didn't like that at all so I tried v4120 and had the same problems so had to reinstall v3810.
When I left it last night it was installing the maps and Nav info. The wife has the car today so I will look later and see if the Nav and 32Gb SDHC card works.

I noticed with v1200 I got Regensburg Syndrome on the Nav so I'm hoping that has gone away.

I did notice while I was messing about last night that on the MFD I have lost Nav and Audio (I now only have Settings and MFD). Is this something I need to change with VCDS? Is there anything else I can do with that?

Once I get the new maps sorted I'll get them installed, hopefully that will be a walk in the park for me.

After the software is up to date and settled in I am interested in other upgrades. Some of these I presume will connect to the back of the RNS 510 so should be done at the same time...

I want to be able to connect my iPhone to play music (MDI connector in the glove box?) and connect via bluetooth for hands-free by fitting the bluetooth module that works with iPhone (I believe this module will do the job) remember I don't think I have a mic fitted so need to sort that as well. I also want full interoperability with the Gucci little RNS 510 head unit which is why I would prefer to avoid after market stuff like Parrot.

Has anyone else done this? DIY project or pay for VW to do it?

I'm also curious about under seat drawers. Is there room for a drawer and the bluetooth module?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. By the same token I am happy to help others with my limited but growing knowledge.

I seem to have gone a bit off topic. I understand that I might need to create a new post for each topic concerned here.
Found this hope it helps http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/9w7-VW-bluetooth-module.htm .Mick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thats a pretty good How-To. Cheers.

Of course, I still have questions. lol

It says nothing about wiring-in only exchanging a module. I've looked under both seats and seen the connectors under there. It appears they only go the seat belt tensioners at first glance. Are they fully connected ready for a Bluetooth module to be fitted and connected or do I have to start stripping trim back to lay in cabling to the back of the RNS 510?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Wow, thats a pretty good How-To. Cheers.

Of course, I still have questions. lol

It says nothing about wiring-in only exchanging a module. I've looked under both seats and seen the connectors under there. It appears they only go the seat belt tensioners at first glance. Are they fully connected ready for a Bluetooth module to be fitted and connected or do I have to start stripping trim back to lay in cabling to the back of the RNS 510?
From what i can tell that's exactly what you have to do unless there's room behind the dash. I was lucky mine already had the B/T under the seat all I had to do was switch of the internal B/T in the 315 (with VCDS) and turn on the MFD functions. Mick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.