Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I just purchased my new baby yesterday, and I’ve noticed that on hills she’ll roll back when I let off the foot brake before I apply the accelerator. I previously had a Passat and never had this happen, so I’m just wondering if that’s normal? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I don't have DSG, but I've read if you want to test it for the common and expensive Mechatronix fault, you reverse UP a hill and there should be no judder or long delay?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Did the passet have a dsg gearbox, or another variant?
I used to put the handbrake on and release the footbrake, that would allow the clutch to bite and then I could release the handbrake and go

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
215 Posts
This is common with the DSG. The six speed auto (non DSG) does not roll back on inclines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all! I just purchased my new baby yesterday, and I’ve noticed that on hills she’ll roll back when I let off the foot brake before I apply the accelerator. I previously had a Passat and never had this happen, so I’m just wondering if that’s normal? Thanks!
I bought my car in 2018. I called the VW dealership here in downtown Los Angeles and asked if there were any recalls and they said no. What they failed to tell me was that they don't do recalls they do what they call extended warranty programs. There was one for this problem with the transmission but I wasn't told about it. The repair cost me $2,500 last year. I love my car but VW not so much.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Even in UK there's a big difference between manufacturer warranties. The best and longest warranties seem to be given by Korean and Japanese manufacturers. I often think if a company gives and honors a decent warranty and not pass it on to insurance, they must have confidence in the reliability of their product?

I'm not sure yet how Brexit taxes will affect German car imports and what trading terms U.K might get from non-EU car makers. But if world imports and EU cars start looking a similar price, then quality, reliability, warranty and customer service will become differentiators.

What's the picture in USA. Presumably your German cars are all treated as imports the same as Toyota, Mazda, Kia etc but not your home brands?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
215 Posts
Even in UK there's a big difference between manufacturer warranties. The best and longest warranties seem to be given by Korean and Japanese manufacturers. I often think if a company gives and honors a decent warranty and not pass it on to insurance, they must have confidence in the reliability of their product?

I'm not sure yet how Brexit taxes will affect German car imports and what trading terms U.K might get from non-EU car makers. But if world imports and EU cars start looking a similar price, then quality, reliability, warranty and customer service will become differentiators.

What's the picture in USA. Presumably your German cars are all treated as imports the same as Toyota, Mazda, Kia etc but not your home brands?
The Japanese brands USED to offer the longest warranties but not so much anymore, its the Korean cars that carry the long warranties. US built cars seen to average about the same as the Japanese cars as well.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Thanks. In UK the Korean cars offer a 7 year warranty, but the devil may be in the detail and I've no experience of owning their SUVs, KIA Sportage etc or having problems that needed to call on their warranty. Price and quality wise I only have early experience of Mazda & Nissan engineering which seemed superb to me and their after sales warranty always delivered on serious problems. When you buy a V.W car, just about everything is an extra, whereas you buy these other brands and they come fully loaded for not a lot of extra money. More to go wrong I suppose but you can easily be tempted. I expect decent headlights, cruise controls, parking sensors front AND rear, a decent modern head unit display with satnav, auto park steering, radar front collision warning with auto emergency braking just to mention a few.

Whilst U.K was in the E.U prices were skewed in favor of EU cars and we were hit with higher taxes on non-E.U cars or whatever tax rate the E.U would agree to protect their internal market. There was some tit-for-tat deals with some Japanese cars being made in the E.U but generally, Japanese models were more expensive and a shame because Toyota have some very nice cars, but imports were quota limited forcing prices up with long delivery times. This may change for us in U.K now and there may be more choice of good affordable cars to buy in future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts