Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an odd problem where the roof fabric has come out of it’s plastic clip (see photos ) and so when the roof is closing the flap dosent stretch out and the same in reverse when the roof is opening it just flaps about , is it possible to get a new clip ? Or if not how to repair this ?

thanks

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Not sure where you are in those photos? I've been inside the rear sides and corners and there are strings attached to something like a wire cable eye which is fixed to the side rail with a self tapping screw. Mine were under a lot of tension and hard to locate the hold down screw, but I realised afterwards I should have part opened the roof to release some tension coming from the roof hinge position.

You have to remove the corner flap covers to expose what's going on behind. If you are talking about the headlining not the side flaps, that's a real pain and a replacement headling is V. expensive. If the headlining has dropped at the back just over the rear window, that's a horrendous pain to get back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure where you are in those photos? I've been inside the rear sides and corners and there are strings attached to something like a wire cable eye which is fixed to the side rail with a self tapping screw. Mine were under a lot of tension and hard to locate the hold down screw, but I realised afterwards I should have part opened the roof to release some tension coming from the roof hinge position.

You have to remove the corner flap covers to expose what's going on behind. If you are talking about the headlining not the side flaps, that's a real pain and a replacement headling is V. expensive. If the headlining has dropped at the back just over the rear window, that's a horrendous pain to get back.
Thanks Vox it is the clip that holds the headlining I am talking about . The headlining hasn’t caught in anything (luckily) and the roof works, it just is annoying as when the roof comes back up and the metal clip expands it just flaps about and isn’t pulled tight ?

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
I'm talking about the long retainer over the top of the rear window. It's important to be secure because all the tension on the headlining pulling forwards is on it. I carefully removed my headlining back to that last point where it's retained in a plastic groove, then took it out (which I shouldn't have). I tried for hours to get it back and failed because it seemed to be a one way trip install once only. In the end I bought some small black self tapping screws, drilled the steel frame behind and fixed the headliner retaining bar with those. Beats me why V.W make such simple things so hard?

I doubt you can buy individual clips and you might need to make something?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm talking about the long retainer over the top of the rear window. It's important to be secure because all the tension on the headlining pulling forwards is on it. I carefully removed my headlining back to that last point where it's retained in a plastic groove, then took it out (which I shouldn't have). I tried for hours to get it back and failed because it seemed to be a one way trip install once only. In the end I bought some small black self tapping screws, drilled the steel frame behind and fixed the headliner retaining bar with those. Beats me why V.W make such simple things so hard?

I doubt you can buy individual clips and you might need to make something?
Thanks vox. I’ve managed to use some double sided gorilla tape to hold the clip onto the metal bar , which seems to work for now . If it goes again I’ll have to glue it on, but that won’t be easy as will have to Lower the roof and let it stay in the position to get to clip and roof usually overheats if left too long .

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
............roof usually overheats if left too long
Everybody doing DIY work on the EOS roof should consider using my voxprops. Proping the EOS roof part open to work on it is actually a V.W dealer service shop requirement. This protects the roof system AND the person working on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Vox will certainly look into these. I watched a video which said you can open the roof until the boot swings out and then take out the key and it’s safe to work on as the pressure from the roof relaxes ?

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Do not always regard the internet and YouTube videos as credible sources of information. If your roof pump burns out because temperature over protection failed to protect it or your arm got chopped off leaning inside the hinge as the roof folded back, the authors won't take responsibility! If the roof folds back on its own and the rear locks get out of sync. you may re-power the roof, get nothing and be stuck with a part open roof fault. You will be coming back here asking how to fix the problem like many others.

Read the V.W workshop manual procedures first, then if you want to do something different it's at your own risk and shouldn't be recommended for others to follow as an exception without good reason.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
The first and only time I worked on my roof without props, I had this sense of insecurity, doing something wrong and a fear of something unpredictable and bad happening if I put my hands inside the open hinges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello what exactly are you guys using to clean the rubber between the roof I'm getting ready to do maintenance just want to make sure I buy the right rubber cleaner thanks 2007 bpy 2.0 6 speed mt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts