Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EOS is 4 months old - I am suffering with terrible knocking noise from rear off side in the parcel shelf/roof mechanism area - anyone else suffered.
Also there is terrible creaking from roof line directly above drivers sun visor - anyone any similar experiences?
VW are looking at it ...but it is making me very unhappy that my brand new car is spending so much time in the garage

·
Registered
65 Posts
Roof Noises

Hi
I had that noise where the glass sunroof touches the sealing rubber at the front edge of the roof, it would almost go away when the roof was in the tilt position so the noise was coming from the contact between the roofs front metal edge and the seal.
What worked for me was to smear the rubber seal with a light coting of Turtle Platinum silicon tyre dressing which after all is for rubber tyres and should not damage the seal.
Like yourself the noise used to drive me crazy and after one small application of the above dressing the noise has all but vanished.
Worth a try.:)

Bill T

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
We had the knocking on our 2.0TDI from new.It went back to the dealer many times and they covered many miles trying to find out what it was. They even fitted a new rear shock absorber which didn't cure the problem!
They kept giving it back saying it was cured, but within half a mile from the dealer it was back again.
After a while the dealer said that their eos technicians were going to VW to share their problems of the new model and any common faults they had found.
Two days after the technicians got back from VW our car went back in for a day. We were told that the problem was quite common and very easy to cure by 'shimming' the roof mechanism to stop it knocking.
They were right! We had had no problem what so ever since, even though we are listening intently for any noise!
Jill
PS we think that petroleum jelly (vaseline) would work on the rubber seals to stop the creaking when the panels flex

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jill
VW advise against using anything except Krytox on the roof, as it may degrade the seals. Krytox is inert, you can get a price from Dupont, but I would think your dealer should give you some after your trouble.
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
vw sells a spray can of silicone lubricant for the seals. they should always be kept clean. I had a strange loud set of noises last week in the roof. I had just had the car washed in 10 degree weather. Then driving aong every bump I hit sounded like marbles loose somewhere in the roof. I assumed it was water that had froze in the roof drain channels. Sure enough after parking for several hours in a warm garage the marble sound was gone..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts