Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a problem. The right side roof panel is not going into its hideaway compartment on the right side. As the roof is retracted about 2/3rds of the way down it flares out before entering the hideaway compartment by the quarter panel. On the right side it doesn't flare out but the car still tries to put the roof away. It ends up hitting the right rear interior trim panel. This is a problem! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a similar problem in my wife's car. The strings had become stretched and not pulling the panels as they should. Our issue was initially only when opening, but then similar thing was happening on closing. Had the strings replaced and it is fine now. You may be able to retension them yourself.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think the OP is talking about the main roof member. It moves towards the outside of the car just ever so slightly as it retracts down into the "fishbowl" next to the rear seats.

I'm not familiar with how that part of the roof is controlled, so I can't speculate.
:- (

·
Registered
2 Posts
JBlair

I just had this happen to my EOS - I had to replace the strings. Like the other reply they stretch and when replaced the top folds up nicely and stores away as it should. The parts are very inexpensive but the time for it to be done is a great expense if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I shall replace them with ultra flexible stainless steel wire if I have trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took it to the local VW Dealer (Zimbrick). They were the ones that noticed that it was not flaring out before closing. They did not do anything else. They were going to charge me a hour labor but changed their minds. They said the whole roof rail panel would need to be replace at $10,000 or more. CLOWNS! Anyway, winter is over and I got a change to dig into it. There is metal arm that is bolted into the roof rail system that moves this part out. It was missing it bolt. I found the bolt and replaced in place. It works now like a dream. Problem Solved! I put lock tight on the bolt. Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
138 Posts
What are you going to do with all that extra money you saved?!?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I took it to the local VW Dealer (Zimbrick). They were the ones that noticed that it was not flaring out before closing. They did not do anything else. They were going to charge me a hour labor but changed their minds. They said the whole roof rail panel would need to be replace at $10,000 or more. CLOWNS! Anyway, winter is over and I got a change to dig into it. There is metal arm that is bolted into the roof rail system that moves this part out. It was missing it bolt. I found the bolt and replaced in place. It works now like a dream. Problem Solved! I put lock tight on the bolt. Thanks, Todd
You just basically saved me from debt, same exact problem and I’m sure it would’ve been the exact same diagnosis. Thanks kind stranger!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts