Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Thanks. I know there's a lot of labor involved, but at least you didn't have to buy a complete new roof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Have you still got the repair bill with parts they fitted? Can you post it up anonymised?
I ended up filing a claim under my comprehensive insurance but just found out this morning that they won't cover it as it is being considered a "mechanical" issue. The insurance company didn't write an estimate up but the dealer estimate was $16K for the replacement top and $4K for labor.

Here are the pictures that the dealer sent over to the insurance company for the estimation process. The passenger side is out of alignment. They are saying that this side is with the welded piece that is bent. You have to guide it into place in order to get the top to close but the moonroof will still not shut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes, this sounds about the same as it cost me for the same job. Verify that you get a one-year warranty. My new roof works perfectly. But it took the shop 3-4 months to repair.
Did you have your repair done at a VW Dealer?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You have to hold your breath a little because faults aren't all the same. WendyA was lucky. But IMHO a lot depends on what was happening at the time yours crunched. Some will keep trying to operate the roof and an easier cheaper fix soon becomes bent hinges and a major disaster. If they say welded parts of the hinge are bent, then ask them to clarify which part or show you on the car?

The parts which WendyA posted affect the hinged top section kickout/fold in plastic guides, not metal parts. If that problem occured early on, then impatient and frequent use of the roof op. button and pushing the segments into the A pillars would make things worse each time the roof tried to stow in the trunk, but that's what you've been doing because you only saw the exit situation, without thinking how damaged and misaligned parts were being stowed? EOS roof sensors are very good at stopping an operation when parts are out of position, but when the heavy package is finally loaded into the trunk, it falls in helped by gravity. For top up, the layered 'package' is hoisted up by powerful hydraulics for a time when there is very little interaction with sensors for protection. The roof pump has some built in hydraulic overload but many tonnes of force can do damage before it stalls and makes strange noises.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts