Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen much here and on VWVortex about the importance of maintaining the roof seals. However, most or all of the postings are quite old and refer to the original version of the car.

I own a 2013 Sport*. I can't find anything in the current manual like there was in the earlier manual copied here: Care of rubber seals. The only current info I can find is a video on the VW site regarding the 2015: VW Lube Video which makes the procedure look like little more than dusting with a handywipe.

I hope someone will let me know if the directions given in the original manual and in the VW Vortex thread from 2007 linked above are advisable on the 2012 through 2015 cars.

*Actually I liked my first one so much I now own two, but that's another story.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts

I own a 2013 Sport*. I can't find anything in the current manual like there was in the earlier manual copied here: Care of rubber seals. The only current info I can find is a video on the VW site regarding the 2015: VW Lube Video which makes the procedure look like little more than dusting with a handywipe.

I hope someone will let me know if the directions given in the original manual and in the VW Vortex thread from 2007 linked above are advisable on the 2012 through 2015 cars.

*Actually I liked my first one so much I now own two, but that's another story.
I think you will find this is a VW marketing ploy to bolster their spare parts business - to the best of my knowledge, the wipes are Krytox GPL105 impregnated tissue which is an expensive way of buying this lubricant. As the wipes are backwards compatible for the earlier Eos models, I am confident they contain GPL105 as this is a proven solution for seal maintenance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
".....As the wipes are backwards compatible for the earlier Eos models, I am confident they contain GPL105 as this is a proven solution for seal maintenance."

Thank you. I gather from your answer that the roof and seals of the newer version are not substantially different from those of the earlier one. Correct?

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
".....As the wipes are backwards compatible for the earlier Eos models, I am confident they contain GPL105 as this is a proven solution for seal maintenance."

Thank you. I gather from your answer that the roof and seals of the newer version are not substantially different from those of the earlier one. Correct?
That is my understanding however I cannot be 100% sure unless one of our members has more specific information.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
With a new EOS I would not want to wait 3 years for the warranty to run out, then find I had roof seal leaks, the roof motor was flooded with water entering the trunk or carpets were wet making the car smell.

VW marketing has always been clever in the inconspicuous absence of seal care and maintenance. You will find when you ask your dealership about 'servicing' on a new or used EOS, they will give you charges for the usual mileage based service items.

BUT THE EOS HAS A ROOF SERVICE PROCEDURE and very little is said about it. Roof service costs another £130 or so on top of a 'normal' service and customers do not want to hear that. In fact some owners might just think it's a seal clean and pass on it anyway.

As a new car owner you should ask the dealership specifically about the EOS roof service. If your selling dealer spins you a yarn about it not being required (for 3 years!) ask to see the VW service bulletin for EOS roof service and the intervals recommended. I think you will find it is annual, but most here do it themselves twice a year.

Like others have said, I don't think VW have designed and installed 'maintenance free' roof seals in the latest EOS release.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts