Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Is there a way/ tool to keep the roof in a partially open position for oiling the seals?
when you stop the roof movement midway it tends to lose oil pressure and wants drop either way of the balance point

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
749 Posts
Greetings all,

Is there a way/ tool to keep the roof in a partially open position for oiling the seals?
when you stop the roof movement midway it tends to lose oil pressure and wants drop either way of the balance point
If you want to keep the roof in the position you want, turn the key off and remove it, the roof won't move with no power. There is also a service position you can put the roof in, I have some notes on how to do it, but have not had the need to use the service position.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,565 Posts
I use the "Vox Props" for this purpose for safety reasons - I do not recomend working under any circumstances on an open unsupported roof,

Safety First is mandatory and my experience is an unsupported half open roof will always self-close.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle tire

·
Administrator
2,565 Posts
Almost certain you have; see the document below and the photo above of the "Vox Props" used to hold the roof open with safety whilst lubricating the roof and associated body seals:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
if i missed a seal i'm not seeing it. there are a couple of images in that document with arrows pointing inside the dark interior of the rear quarter panels, but i don't see a seal there (at least not until the top is completely down inside and i already got those).

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
huh? i just did all my roof seals and only opened the roof as far as the trunk lid starting to open (and then closing on power loss). i got easy access to everything just fine. did i miss a seal?
That's not the problem. The EOS uses two versions of roof pump. Both are interchangeable but later versions have back flow valves which should help prevent the roof sagging once the pump is off or times out on over temperature.

If the car is on a slight up slope, any sag rearwards will cause the rear window assembly to fall back. The consequences are roof sensor positions previously stored have changed and there's a big risk of the rear window dropping unevenly or on to open/closed locks. Then you are in a mess with no roof operation on the switch and the rear locks out of sync. There are several posts from people who got their roofs messed up in this situation. That's why V.W workshop practice for safety and these reasons is to use props to service an EOS roof!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts