Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Life is good... so far
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to redo the seals on my Eos when something I hadn't thought about too much before came to mind. Does the underside of the sunroof where it meets the windshield have some kind of coating or is it just 16 years of accumulated dirt. If it is dirt, it should be easily cleanable with alcohol or a general cleaner or even just soap and water. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi

If you mean apply krytox, then there are loads of posts on this site on the topic.

In summary give the car a wash the day before to remove as much muck as possible , leave to dry .

Next put the roof into the service position and clean each seal in turn. a rag soaked in meths works well . So does a trim removal tool with a cloth wrapped round it and then pushed between the roof seals if you don't want to put the roof into the service position . Leave the meths to dry for a few mins . Apply krytox with finger , a little goes a long way and work it into the seal . Leave for 30 mins or so , longer If you can and come back and tub it into the seal again . The trick here is to spend the bulk of the time getting the seals clean before you apply the krytox.

Regards

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
When V.W sell their expensive EOS roof seal lube kit which comes with alcohol pads for stage 1 cleaning. PS: You can use meths (wood alcohol) but there's plenty of alcohol around at the moment sold as Covid hand sterilizer!

My problem is green algae building up but I've successfully used a patio algae cleaner to keep that off. I started with copper sulphate solution which worked, but the green deposit on black rubber annoyed me.

·
Life is good... so far
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I looked for an answer before posting my question, I couldn't find an answer. I am hoping that the underside of the of the sunroof where it contacts the seal on the top of the windshield has no special coating applied to the glass.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
If it has you might expect it to feel very rough with your fingers all the way along? They put a coating on their seals and some of mine have surface roughness. Alcohol isn't an aggressive cleaner and you could test it on a small section of the glass underside. If the wiper pad is green it's definitely algae, although I'd expect it more on exposed seals. That's where mine grows where it gets water, air and sunlight to live, unless the surface is poisonous to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts