Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Roof squeaks

9K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  neh321 
#1 ·
We took delivery of our EOS last Thursday and although it had been raining a lot here over the last few weeks, the weather has been very nice since then and we could drive with the top down.

After driving with the top down on Saturday we put the top up and since then the roof makes a squeaky noise whenever we drive over a small bump in the road. It feels as if it isn't closed tight enough which would cause it to 'wiggle' (although I can't actually see it move). We never closed the roof while on an uneven surface and haven't done anything unusual (like take it to the carwash, ...). We had opened and closed the roof a number of times before Saturday and after closing it, there was no odd noise at all.

My girlfriend has taken the car back to the dealer and they said they would be able to fix it but did not give much details about what the exact problem could be.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here?

#3 ·
The noise we are experiencing is very hard to ignore. It's the complete roof and I even heard with the DynAudio system on a reasonable sound level.

I'm going to have to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt here.

#4 ·
Mine rattled like hell on bumpy roads when the car was nearly new.

All fixed with Krytox lubrication by the dealer!

I now have a can myself to do the lubricating every few months as necessary and no more problems.

#5 ·
Mine makes a noise from the back drivers side... I have been thinking it would be solved when I lub'd it... thanx for confirming... just need to get my act in gear and do it now!

#6 ·
We took delivery of our EOS last Thursday and although it had been raining a lot here over the last few weeks, the weather has been very nice since then and we could drive with the top down.

After driving with the top down on Saturday we put the top up and since then the roof makes a squeaky noise whenever we drive over a small bump in the road......
Does this sound familiar to anyone here?
Pretty sure the rubbers aren't lubricated on new models. Get the dealer to apply the lubrication kit that should stop the squeaks. Its probably coming from around the sunroof, part no is on this thread
http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825

Good luck.
cheers, David

#10 ·
May not be relevant but I find most squeaks and especially rattles come from the screen thing that covers the sun roof. If its open no noise but if its shut a bit of rough road and its rattle and squeak time.
It could be that most people are coming from a fixed roof car and expect the same noise levels. In a convertable you have to have some compromise and noise is one of the problems you have to bear when owning such a car as the Eos. I certainly forgive its little foibles for the pure joy of driving it.

#11 ·
Mine squeeks sometimes and is fine others. I reckon that occationally the roof may not quite clip itself back together as snuggly as others, resulting a squeek or two. Also after a bit of rain it seems a little noisey. The best resolve is to turn up the stereo a bot more!!!! DONT LET YOUR DEALER ANYWHERE NEAR YOU CAR UNLESS ITS ABSOLUTLEY ESSENTIAL!!!! My view is that now matter now much a car costs, with a complex piece of engineering like the CSC roof whicj is sat on a constanly moving platform its impossible for it to be totally squeek/rattle free. Just be happy its only the roof thats noisy, on my outgoing Astra Convertible nearly every interior peice of trim made some kind of noise!!

#13 ·
Thanks to all of you for the info. The dealer contacted the importer for more information on what to do and they ended up lubricating the seals as suggested above. Squeaks are gone now!

#14 ·
Glad you have your problem solved ... frankly I don't agree with James and Simon when they say "don't let the dealer touch your car"! If you have a dealer you can trust, and I do, then you take they advice they offer you, and if they offer to do it, then you accept. Not only it it easier that way, but if something goes wrong afterward, then you can expect the dealer to make it right!

#15 ·
I have had this time and time again with dealers... Especially with new models (which I normally have)... It goes in load of time, then I just end up doing it myself.. I have just been let down too many times....

They have no idea why the roof squeaks, even I am having difficulty finding out....

I am just a paranoid person...

Maybe dealers in Canada are better!

#16 ·
One time.... Smart car went in to Mercedes dealer for service.. Oil seemed odd when I checked it... I drained it out to check the filter, and they never put one in... I did about 200 miles with no oil filter....

I can even see where the roof has been tampered with by the dealer before I took delivery.....

#17 · (Edited)
Simon!
You may personally have had some bad luck, but frankly it is irresponsible to suggest that all UK VW dealers know nothing about servicing VE products, and hence "don't ever let the dealer antwhere near your car"". I cannot believe or accept this as sage advice. Further, not all VW owners are self professed mechanics and must rely on the technical competency of the dealer. In actual practice, I highly doubt that the average car owner knows more about servicing his car that a professional, certified mechanic. In addition, an individual who chooses to service his own car runs the risk of voiding his warranty by choosing to repair his car rather than leave it to a certified VW mechanic. At least if the dealer "goofs", he is obliged by warranty to make good.
You may have your own particular eccentricities, abilities and wishes to service your car, but I caution you not to feist this advice on the VW owner at large!

#19 ·
Hey all... if it helps, only VW people who have taken the "master Tech" course can do anything to EOS roofs... I found this out while having to wait for the only Master Tech to come back from holiday to sort my roof.

That must mean something that they only let the top trained ones look after our roof!

Although, I think I will alway consult Simon first just in case!!!hehe

#21 ·
Irritating "rattles" in the "C"pillar area of US '07 EOS

I also have the same irritating "rattles" in the driver's side (USA) "C" pillar area of my '07 EOS. For the uninformed, the "C" pillar is the steel roof section behind/between the rear side window and the rear glass of the top.

I took it to my dealer to get it fixed and was told that VW has issued a TSB dealing with this problem, but I don't know the TSB number.

Anyhow, the TSB evidently instructs the dealer to remove or install some "shims" until the rattles ceases, which kind of sounds like a half-assed trial and error method if you ask me....and one that doesn't appear to work! Because on the first service visit to correct the problem, the "rattles" were gone for a day or so, and came right back. Then on the second service visit to correct the problem, the rattles were gone for about a half-day and came back.

And to make matters even worse, the second time it was in the shop, whatever they did, now causes the roof/trunk to make an obnoxious rubbery "groaning" sound whenever you lower or raise the top..... :( :confused: :rolleyes: It sounds like you are opening a 300 year old wooden castlel door with rusty, sticking hinges

I just spoke with the service manager at my dealership and he is going to research this "rattle" issue with VW and have me come in AGAIN and have it fixed properly.

I love this car, but having a first model year vehicle that almost nobody at the dealership knows anything about really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will keep you posted s ai work through this aggravating situation.

#23 ·
Simon ..... I understand you don't trust WV dealers, with some justification, but what would you do if you were FreddyBear and you had marginal technical knowlegde of the VW roof?

#25 ·
I live in Harrisburg, NC...USA.....

And I guess the hell of all this is that my VW dealer's service department is far superior to the other two VW dealers in the Charlotte, NC area.....so much so.....that a lot of the two Charlotte area dealer's customers bring their cars to my dealer for service.....:) :( !!

Just talked with my service manager a few minutes ago, and found out that most of the mechaincs at my dealership have NOT been to the EOS technical school yet, but will be attending the first two weeks of November.

Hopefully this "I don't know...I don't have a clue...let me call VW America's technical service group" response to about any EOS service problem will soon be a thing of the past. I actually think I know more about the car than they do!!

#26 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about your misfortune FreddyBear, and hopefully once they have been to technical school the situation will improve. In my case, dealer sent one mechanic before first car was sold (mine) so at least one mechanic was prepared. He was able then to handle most situations (mostly roof) and in odd case where he couldn't he knew who to contact. So, all in all, my sailing has been reasonably smooth. Good luck to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.