Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've recently been having some issues with my 2008 Eos roof not opening. My battery died recently, so my windows were not fully closed during a rainy night. I woke up to discover this, and also learnt that my roof no longer opened. The auto electrician I spoke to diagnosed the issue as a dead hydraulic pump motor, though he said he wouldn't be able to source one.

I managed to get one shipped from a wrecker in pristine condition and installed it, only to find that the issue had not resolved. I had already changed the fuse since the last one blew when the old motor died, and it is still intact.

So, here is what happens. When I attempt to open the roof, the sunroof will start opening. It will stall three times during this at different locations, before finally being fully opened. Then... nothing. The boot doesn't pop, the windows don't go down, nothing. I do get an error stating something like 'System Workshop Error!', but that is it. I should also mention that the sunroof works fine when it is opened or closed with the sunroof switch, only stalling when it is opened using the roof switch.

The boot and windows are also inoperable, since the car thinks the roof is not properly closed.

If anyone has any ideas I would much appreciate it!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Your problem is more common than you think. Even with a good battery you cannot always tell the small rear windows passenger side are fully closed when you leave the car. I did this but was lucky and afterwards fitted the RLS sensor to auto close the windows.

I think you've dived off with what your electrician told you without working back to the open window problem and what damage water could have done? Did you look in the trunk and tire well, was it full of water about an inch and sloshing about, because that is what would most likely kill the pump? There are some simple checks that can be done on a roof pump with a DVM ohmeter and 12V battery. A roof fuse failure can be caused by the pump OR the roof controller OR both which you have so far ignored. If the roof pump can operate for parts of the open and close cycle without blowing the fuse, I would suggest the pump is o.k and you have a control fault.

The EOS roof controller is fitted behind the left side trunk liner and IMHO is more likely to be the problem after getting wet, particularly if water came in through the rear left passenger window on to the rear seat. Diagnostics might be easy for you but is most likely to give confusing answers if the roof controller and/or its connectors got saturated with water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply voxmagna! I should have noted that the windows and boot actually worked fine when the error was cleared, no issue there. As soon as I begin the roof down procedure they cease to work.

Yes, the boot had a few inches of water under the tyre. The sponge around the motor was soaked, so we dried it out.

As for the motor, I had disassembled it myself to confirm the fault. About an inch of the motor (the lowest section) was fully corroded and the shaft was seized, whereas the new motor is a pristine refurb. I inspected the roof controller today and it didn't seem to have any water damage. Of course, I will need to do a proper check, however so far the new fuse has not failed.

None of the functions that are operated by the pump seem to be working, as only the sunroof retracts. I'm hoping that once the error code is cleared again I can test the roof.

Sorry if my response is incoherent, I'm typing on my phone between events!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
boot had a few inches of water under the tyre.
Pump damage a dead certainty then as you confirmed.
The sponge around the motor was soaked, so we dried it out.
Ditch the Bitch! search here for my post.
I should have noted that the windows and boot actually worked fine when the error was cleared, no issue there
That isn't necessarily related to your roof operation faults.
I inspected the roof controller today and it didn't seem to have any water damage. Of course, I will need to do a proper check,
How will you do that when it takes inputs from a load of sensors and sends out power and control signals to the pump and other components?
I'm hoping that once the error code is cleared again I can test the roof.
If you still have faults, diagnostics errors won't be clear or will come back and V.W will not allow the roof to operate.

·
Registered
2014 VW EOS Sport. Black/Black
3 Posts
Hi!

I've recently been having some issues with my 2008 Eos roof not opening. My battery died recently, so my windows were not fully closed during a rainy night. I woke up to discover this, and also learnt that my roof no longer opened. The auto electrician I spoke to diagnosed the issue as a dead hydraulic pump motor, though he said he wouldn't be able to source one.

I managed to get one shipped from a wrecker in pristine condition and installed it, only to find that the issue had not resolved. I had already changed the fuse since the last one blew when the old motor died, and it is still intact.

So, here is what happens. When I attempt to open the roof, the sunroof will start opening. It will stall three times during this at different locations, before finally being fully opened. Then... nothing. The boot doesn't pop, the windows don't go down, nothing. I do get an error stating something like 'System Workshop Error!', but that is it. I should also mention that the sunroof works fine when it is opened or closed with the sunroof switch, only stalling when it is opened using the roof switch.

The boot and windows are also inoperable, since the car thinks the roof is not properly closed.

I had the same problem, so I wqent to the dealer. I learned the follwing. Make sure that the panel that covers the luggage area is securely locked into the two black lugs on either side of the trunk. Otherwise the top will not work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have great news! The car works fine now, it turns out that the fuse I replaced originally wasn't actually the roof fuse. In slot F50 I had replaced a blown 40A fuse, which I now know to be a spare slot. The real fuse was in F54, and it was also blown. Replacing this fixed the issue so it does seem like it was just the motor that was faulty.

If I had to guess, the previous owners probably had the same issue. The plastic cover over the motor was never with the car, so I would think they probably replaced their roof motor, replaced the F54 fuse and put it in the F50 slot.

Anyways, thanks voxmagna for your help! I managed to get this done through all of your combined help through many seperate threads, and I can't thank you enough!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You should inspect the roof pump and motor very carefully because a wet motor fault blowing the fuse can also damage the (expensive) roof controller.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Do you have an obd11 or vag. I had similar problem and controller did not know roof position. You can get roof back to closed position then clear the fault codes. After your repair. That worked for me.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
If the sunroof can't be moved manually using a key on the motor, then it's seized or jammed. If it moves easily then it's an electronic control problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts