Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 EOS Highline
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome to this forum. I discovered this place while looking for a solution to a problem with our EOS. This is our 4th convertible and our 1st EOS. My wife is the primary driver but allows me to maintain it for her and drive it when we travel. It's a 2011 Highline model and it had 78K km when we bought it in June 2020. It's her favourite convertible of the ones we've owned. I had to replace one HID lamp last summer but other than that we've been trouble free until we took it out of winter storage last week. I treated the rubber seals and noticed that the roof rails were not lining up properly while lowering into the trunk. I'll do more searching on this forum and post under the proper heading when I solve my problem.
I'm a retired electrician and have done most of my own maintenance and repairs on my motorcycles but usually left any 4 wheel vehicle maintenance in the hands of trained mechanics. EOS roof mechanics are not easy to find nearby so may be stuck with my current problem.
Thanks for any tips you may offer and I hope to be an asset to this forum.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
When the roof comes up to close, the 'pegs' in the side arms should be absolutely central with the holes they go into. There are some plastic guides (still available as spare part kits) others have had go worn which control the 'kickout' of the top side arms. Getting to the parts and knowing the pitfalls in advance isn't easy and many regular garages won't touch it. You can get a paid for EOS shop manual from online sellers such as factorymanuals.com. Don't think you can launch into these beasts without first reading and even then it won't cover everything as a set of step by step instructions for a DIYer. What it will tell you is the service tools required and often there's a clue there as to potential (pun) critical parts of their procedure.

IMHO electricians are great people because they can handle technical instructions, question what they read if not logical and are often keen to learn new things!

·
Registered
2011 EOS Highline
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the roof comes up to close, the 'pegs' in the side arms should be absolutely central with the holes they go into. There are some plastic guides (still available as spare part kits) others have had go worn which control the 'kickout' of the top side arms. Getting to the parts and knowing the pitfalls in advance isn't easy and many regular garages won't touch it. You can get a paid for EOS shop manual from online sellers such as factorymanuals.com. Don't think you can launch into these beasts without first reading and even then it won't cover everything as a set of step by step instructions for a DIYer. What it will tell you is the service tools required and often there's a clue there as to potential (pun) critical parts of their procedure.

IMHO electricians are great people because they can handle technical instructions, question what they read if not logical and are often keen to learn new things!
Thank you for your encouraging words and advice. The pegs line up perfectly with the holes when the roof is closing and I have no water leaks. The problem is when the roof is opening. All the flap covers open properly but the right roof side arm comes down on top of the inside wall and the left roof side arm just touches the inside of the left exterior wall. It looks like the entire roof is skewing to the left but the distances the back of the both rear headrests to the rear edge of the sun roof is almost identical. If I allowed the roof to continue to descend into the trunk the right roof side arm would remain on top of the rear seat beside the head rest and the left side would descend into wall cavity and be scraped by a bracket.
I will order a shop manual from factorymanuals.com before I go any further. What's the deal with the subscription charge at factory manuals.com?
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
What's the deal with the subscription charge at factory manuals.com?
Don't go there! They are running a similar operation to the genuine V.W info download service called erWin - you rent a session based on how much you download. The only time you might need to go there (I never have) if something is very specific to your VIN and month/day of build. Most V.W manuals contain information specific to other models, variants and options. You just get used to working with them and not trusting the info 100%. Wiring diagrams and wire colors is an example.

The site you can look at is

A hyphen makes all the difference. You should be looking for a 6000 page service manual linked to your VIN which they sell as a download link to their server when it's ready. It takes them a couple of days to run their (V.W!) manual export program linked to your VIN. Just be patient. Another similar company (and there are several) is easy manuals:

You won't find a page in any manual source that says "I have this roof problem" and what follows tells you how to fix it. But there is a lot of information on removing trim, accessing parts and replacing them. IMHO knowing how to correctly remove expensive trim parts without damage is the first challenge. In your case it sounds like you have to get inside the roof top rails and their guides. It's tricky work because you have to do the right things from the start and not everything is given in DIY step by step detail. But what's written is better than starting with nothing and making expensive mistakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts