Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wont have sat nav with my Eos, but am looking to buy a portable one...what is the best one anyone recommends for a dashboard so it looks like it is part of the car rather than just stuck on the windscreen?!
Also, I've got an ipod and mobile phone, what is the best way to connect them to the car? (hate earpieces!)...is there a sat nav that connects everything together?!!

Andy :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pioneer makes some really good in-dash navigation systems. They will probably also have an auxillary port for the iPod. The real thing to look for would be Bluetooth enabled so your phone can connect to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Andy,

I'm not sure about the Sat Nav. Tomtom are quite good as far as I can tell.

I picked the Ipod option with my Eos. The car has a docking station in the centre armrest which keeps the pod charged and allows me to control it through the car cd player.

This option cost £150 as a factory fit option. I believe the dealers charge the same amount of money to get it done on an existing vehicle.

HTH

·
Complete Carnut
1,553 Posts
Hi,

I wont have sat nav with my Eos, but am looking to buy a portable one...what is the best one anyone recommends for a dashboard so it looks like it is part of the car rather than just stuck on the windscreen?!
Also, I've got an ipod and mobile phone, what is the best way to connect them to the car? (hate earpieces!)...is there a sat nav that connects everything together?!!

Andy :D
A good portable satnav is Syrius as it includes speed camera site warnings as well. It's on special offer at the moment at £50 off its normal £399 selling price.

I don't have one so don't know how well it works!

I do have a Parrot bluetooth for my mobile though and it works brilliantly. The small screen is down on the console just below the gearlever; it doesnt get in the way and is handy to use. The sound is through the radio of course and I have no idea where the mike is, it's so small!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
38 Posts
As my Eos came fully loaded with all available extras (It was their demo!) I had no choice but to have the onboard Sat Nav. It looks lovely, and even has an auxiliary display in the centre of the dashboard dials, which is very useful. However, it is fiddly to use and I have on several occasions used my Tom Tom Go, which I bought when I had my Mazda RX8. Apart from ease of use (The TomTom is a doddle) you can download all the speed cameras on to it (not an option on onboard satnav) and arrange route changes "on the fly" when dodging roadwork’s or traffic jams. Short version? Get a Tom Tom. Mine isn't blue toothed - it was the "original" £500 GO. Now, about 2-£300 depending on model, and they do a blue tooth version for 'phones. The VW onboard version is costly (very!) but gives a nice screen for displaying your radio stations..........

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sat Nav

I have a HP 4700 PDA with Tom Tom on and a Nokia Phone with TT Mobile on.

The phone is by far the neatest solution and can be vent mounted on the right hand side. The only drawback is that you require a seperate GPS receiver but I have wired mine in.

Graham

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hiya, so do you have ipod and 6 disk front loading CD player? My dealer is only letting me have one of the options as he says they can't do both. Did you dealer let you get both CD and ipod?!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Lynne,

I have the Ipod connection. It is awesome!! I doubt if you could have both as I don't think there is enough room in the centre armrest.

The Ipod connection works as if it is the multichanger and it links into the playlists in the pod and you alternate between them as if you were changing discs..............if this makes sense!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
:)

Oh right...sounds good! I have the multichanger on order so I guess I will stick with that. My dealer said in the future it might be possible to have both so fingers crossed!!!

Can't wait to get the car, just a shame it is going to take so long!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Let us know how you get on with the 18" Chicagos - mine give a "shimmer" through the floorboards that ruins the drive and to date have not been able to cure problem. Going in on 17th Jan to dealer to try & rectify. Other posts suggest it is very difficult to properly balance such big wheels.....we'll see! Good choice on Red Nappa!

·
Registered
59 Posts
18" Wheels

Can you kinly let me know where you read about the 18" wheel problems.

I assume you are not referring to them on and EOS (apart from your own)

Graham

·
Registered
8 Posts
MP3 player and 6cd changer - both

Hiya, so do you have ipod and 6 disk front loading CD player? My dealer is only letting me have one of the options as he says they can't do both. Did you dealer let you get both CD and ipod?!
My V6 has the 6 cd changer in the arm rest and the ipod option in the glove box. So both are possible on the V6 mode.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does the ipod option that is in the glovebox give you the option of controlling the ipod through the car stereo?

My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that the cable that is in the glovebox pulgs into the headphone socket of the ipod and you listen to it that way.

The ipod connector I have in my car allows you to 'dock' the ipod and control the playlists through the car stereo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats what I thought,

It sounds like an auxilary jack in the glove compartment. So you can listen, but not control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thats what I thought,

It sounds like an auxilary jack in the glove compartment. So you can listen, but not control.
hi dazza..i've gone for the i-pod connection on my tdi sport.. coming march...do you know if the latest 80gb video i-pod will connect as its thinner than the earlier ones..the german vw eos website seems to suggest it will (altho my german is not great!)..which model of i-pod do you use?..cheers mark.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My V6 has the 6 cd changer in the arm rest and the ipod option in the glove box. So both are possible on the V6 mode.
hiya, thanks for letting me know that it is possible to get both! i thought that it must be! my dealer is still not agreeing with us all so i have bought an itrip which will let me play my ipod through the radio anyway (it is wireless and also a lot cheaper that the vw ipod option too!) :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Mark,

Should take any iPod I would think. I use the 30gb iPod video and it has appropriate cradles for each player. I'm betting they will create a cradle for the 80gb version if they haven't already.

Theres certainly plenty room for it in the centre armrest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know if the EOS will have bluetooth capability added? I have the 20T with Sport Package in the US and it has the button on the steering wheel with the telephone on it. I Hate not having this capability. If anyone knows would you so kindly send me an email at:

[email protected]

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts