Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have been given good news and bad news; my original black on black DSG T-FSI is now not due to arrive until Aug/Sept :-( Was given the option of silver with black leather and satellite nav (extra $3K) for an April delivery. After much thought, I have decided on this.

My question is: is the sat nav any good or am I wasting money? I'm in Australia, so obviously do not expect anyone to tell me about how it functions locally. Really curious to see if it is any good in the other markets. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I heard it is a DVD-based system; does that mean it can play other DVDs or is the screen not capable of delivering sufficient quality images to watch a movie? I'm thinking the later but.......

·
Owner / Operator
25 Posts
Mine has a GPS - which is great. I bought a MIO GPS ealier and the VW nav is superior. (I'm in the US) I was skeptical, but its proving to be worth its extra money. The DVD doesn't play movies - I tried. The only thing I don't like is that the voice directions do not mute the radio, so I can't hear them when I'm cranking up the CD player. I also wish the screen was a touch screen instead of a cursor.
But what is really cool is that the mileage display in the dash gives a visual indication on the road your on and the navigation directions as well, so you don't have to look at the GPS for directions.
The POI (points of interest) are really good as well. Gas stations, resturants, etc, are all available. You'll never need a map.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike. Much appreciated. The salesperson also mentioned there is a button on the right that you can press and it will pick up if there is a lot of traffic ahead......I'm a bit dubious about this, as i don't know how it works and he couldn't demo, as the system wasn't running at the time. I guess i will find ut in a few weeks time.

·
Owner / Operator
25 Posts
I'd be a little dubious on that myself... my booklet doesn't show that. It does show a manual method of inputting congestion and the route will be recalculated. If you find out it does have that feature let me know.... this car has an abundance of features. It seems I find something new every week.

·
Registered
215 Posts
...abundance of features...

Hi Mike

Perhaps a useful thread starter - 'It seems I find something new every week' -a list of features that people didn't know about/expect - would help us 'waiters'! :eek:

[Waiter = those of us who haven't received our Eos yet!]

Paul:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wasting yuor money - loads of other local solutions - forget VW!!

Try parrot (usa) who offer bluetooth, mp3 and sat nav all in one for £200 sterling!

Juleseboy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you have to stick that on your window screen though ????

·
Owner / Operator
25 Posts
Hi Mike

Perhaps a useful thread starter - 'It seems I find something new every week' -a list of features that people didn't know about/expect - would help us 'waiters'! :eek:

[Waiter = those of us who haven't received our Eos yet!]

Paul:cool:
Paul - there is a thread called "Unexpected Gadgets" under Tech Questions - I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all,

No - I think you can have it professionally dash mounted - just now investigating with various suppliers - will keep you updated.

It also doubles as sending navigation to your 3g phone (check which phones) and allows you to play mp3 through its touchescreen through stereo - amazing or what!!? Has all auto sterio / radio fade offs when phones rings etc and plays phone call through speakers etc.

I have a techno wizard on my staff so i'll get him to check full details before i commit.

P.S. Drove round all Sunday with roof down - even with kids in rear - still beaming - and drove to work early today with roof down - very refreshing - who needs the gym!

Best regards

Juleseboy

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have sat nav in her car and I use TOMTOM 5 on a PDA in mine.

I find the tomtom easier to use but not as easy to see in bright sunshine, it is also better at avoiding roadblocks although you have to direct it to do so (at least on mine).

I believe the VW system can avoid traffic but I have not found out how to yet, but as it is her car I have only driven it 3 or 4 times!

Main advantage of TOMTOM is I can sit in front of the TV programming favourites / plannning routes which I cannot do with the VW system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts