Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this feeling my 2007 EOS is ageing its rubber seals mostly due to UV exposure as it is never garaged. The roof seals are regularly Krytoxed so I am talking about all the other seals - window slot, door and trunk etc.

I even have some reservations about expensive Krytox, since it contains no UV A/B inhibitor.

I bought a bottle of Boots Soltan Invisible Transparent Suncare Spray which is claimed to be water resistant (on skin). It has a high factor 50 rating and should be chemically safe being sold as a skin care product. Boots 'Soltan' is their own UK brand on offer at about £6.40 for 200ml at the moment.

Using a small artists paint brush, I tried some on the door frame seal and along the top of the window slot seal and left it to dry. After half hour there was virtually no surface residue and the seals looked their full black, like new and very pliable. Then I went around the trunk/boot seal and that came up the same. Whether the UV blocking properties will still work for rubber I don't know, but it certainly brings light grey rubber back to life.

There is a whole list of chemical ingredients and you can pick out the lubricants.

I have already looked at rubber care products but none seemed specific to providing a UV A/B barrier. If I lived in Florida I could test a sample with an untreated control left in sunlight for 6 months and compare the rubber hardness.

Anyway, this is a bit off the wall but you do get a nice perfumery smell for a while in your EOS and it goes on just like Krytox!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have had this feeling my 2007 EOS is ageing its rubber seals mostly due to UV exposure as it is never garaged. The roof seals are regularly Krytoxed so I am talking about all the other seals - window slot, door and trunk etc.

I even have some reservations about expensive Krytox, since it contains no UV A/B inhibitor.

I bought a bottle of Boots Soltan Invisible Transparent Suncare Spray which is claimed to be water resistant (on skin). It has a high factor 50 rating and should be chemically safe being sold as a skin care product. Boots 'Soltan' is their own UK brand on offer at about £6.40 for 200ml at the moment.

Using a small artists paint brush, I tried some on the door frame seal and along the top of the window slot seal and left it to dry. After half hour there was virtually no surface residue and the seals looked their full black, like new and very pliable. Then I went around the trunk/boot seal and that came up the same. Whether the UV blocking properties will still work for rubber I don't know, but it certainly brings light grey rubber back to life.

There is a whole list of chemical ingredients and you can pick out the lubricants.

I have already looked at rubber care products but none seemed specific to providing a UV A/B barrier. If I lived in Florida I could test a sample with an untreated control left in sunlight for 6 months and compare the rubber hardness.

Anyway, this is a bit off the wall but you do get a nice perfumery smell for a while in your EOS and it goes on just like Krytox!
I think that putting a UV protectant on your seals may be a good Idea. However, it may be even better if you put it on after Krytoxing your seals.

There is a product here in the States called Aerospace Protectant. It is meant to protect rubber and vinyl from harmful UV rays.

I live in an are of the U.S. where the sun is more damaging than anywhere else here. But, since my Eos is garaged most of the time, I only use it on the Dash. It does not add a shine, just makes it look a little blacker.

If it was not garaged, I would definitely use it on all the seals after Krytoxing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
231 Posts
That could be a good solution but in a recent thread "krytoxing seals" at page 3, you can read that UV seem not to be the real problem for our seals...I agree that using 303 aerospace after krytox should hydrate and protect

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
UV seem not to be the real problem for our sealsSent from AutoGuide.com Free App
For the most part, you are absolutely correct. However, a percentage of the seals are still exposed to UV rays when the top is closed, albeit, very small.

Never the less, anything we can do to save them is definitely worth a shot.

In the case of 303 Aerospace Protectant, although it is relatively expensive, it might help a bit. Of course, compared to the cost of Krytox, Aerospace is almost free. :D

My intention at this time, is to keep my Eos for a very long time since drop tops never really go out of style. They just rust away.:eek: Except in Arizona. :)

As a result, I am doing a lot of technical mods to my Eos and am very concerned about the seals and other things so as to lengthen its usefulness and enjoyment.

Heck, at my age, this thing will probably outlast me.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more we discuss it the better. I was pretty miserable at school chemistry, so I am not qualified for analysis.

What I do feel is those that have had seal problems first time around, either do not know about seal care or have bought a used EOS from an owner who did not bother. If I remember correctly, roof service does not appear in routine service or is in peoples heads when they change their oil and it should be. Had they used a seal lubricant of any kind and not necessarily Krytox, their roof seals might have been better than doing nothing. Vehicle manufacturers have always been anal about keeping their routine service costs competitive with other makes when they sell new cars, this may be the reason?

I think Krytox would be better if it contained a UV inhibitor, but have stopped short of recommending anything over the top of it since I am not a chemist able to judge compatibility or able to do the lab tests.

We should remember that Dupont Krytox is a generic product and was not designed specifically for auto rubber seal applications. If it was, I think it would have had components to block UV and resist washing out.

I like the reference to planes, because at 40,000 feet, UV levels must be pretty high. On the other hand, synthetic rubber used for aviation is probably a different and more expensive product formulation than what they put on an EOS roof!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The more we discuss it the better. I was pretty miserable at school chemistry, so I am not qualified for analysis.

What I do feel is those that have had seal problems first time around, either do not know about seal care or have bought a used EOS from an owner who did not bother. If I remember correctly, roof service does not appear in routine service or is in peoples heads when they change their oil and it should be. Had they used a seal lubricant of any kind and not necessarily Krytox, their roof seals might have been better than doing nothing. Vehicle manufacturers have always been anal about keeping their routine service costs competitive with other makes when they sell new cars, this may be the reason?

I think Krytox would be better if it contained a UV inhibitor, but have stopped short of recommending anything over the top of it since I am not a chemist able to judge compatibility or able to do the lab tests.

We should remember that Dupont Krytox is a generic product and was not designed specifically for auto rubber seal applications. If it was, I think it would have had components to block UV and resist washing out.

I like the reference to planes, because at 40,000 feet, UV levels must be pretty high. On the other hand, synthetic rubber used for aviation is probably a different and more expensive product formulation than what they put on an EOS roof!
With that being said, and I agree with every word you said, the only thing we can do is everything that sounds reasonable. Remember, the operative term here is, REASONABLE.

I am not being facetious.

Our seals are important and anything we can do, within reason, will help keep our Eos water tight, as long as we keep Krytox in the equation.

Remember, Krytox is the product that keeps the seals pliant, soft, and water proof.

Anything we can do to protect our seas from sun damage is a bonus.

Krytox first, UV protectant second. I really thing we cannot go wrong.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We usually talks about krytox 105..205 is grease, 105 is liquid.
2 oz is ok, it will last long!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
im getting paranoid with all these talk about seals.
So I looking at this item on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FRESH...-Lubricant-O-Rings-SCUBA-Oxygen-/370632996377
Is that what we are talking about? it says o-rings, scuba, etc <- dunno what these are.
Also 2oz too much?
What ever you do, do not use the 205 grease. Only use the 105 which is a light oily substance.

The seals will not absorb the grease and will collect dirt.

Only, and I repeat, only use the Dupont Krytox 105.

By the way, I use Dupont 205 grease for my swimming pool "O" rings and seals. But I do not use the Dupont name and as a result, I only pay $8 for a 2 ounce tube instead of $48. The product I use for my pool maintenance is called Magic Lube but is made by Dupont and has the same ingredients as the 205.

Again, I stress, only use Krytox 105 for your seals. As has already been said, if used sparingly, as it should be, it will last for a very long time. In fact, probably longer than you will own your Eos.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Once again David & friends from vweosclub saves the day.
Here's what I found; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1d8e9d5e

I know it's supposed to be expensive, but $60? + $15 shipping seem to be pushing it, right?
I would start here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUPONT-KRYT...743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5649fce067

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just putting this out there..... and it is a tad bit out there.....

While I use Krytox fluid generally, I haven't been too happy about the grease stains it leaves on windows. So I've been experimenting with various dry lubricants.

One that I have had a little bit of joy with, came to me quite unexpectedly.
I'm a bike rider and have been using a dry wax chain lubricant for a while.

Only happened to notice recently that it is Krytox based.

So I thought.....why not? I gave it a go on the window seals and believe it or not, it seems to work quite well, without any smearing, due to it being a dry product. Actually, it's wet, but dries post application.

The only thing is that it doesn't last. The squeaking starts again after maybe a few weeks. But I think part of the problem is that my windows are tinted.....the film is more inclined to squeak against rubber seals compared to window glass.

And the product? .......Weldtite TF2 Dry Wax
(image courtesy of weldtite.co.uk)

It's relatively inexpensive....I think < AU$20 for 125ml.

I probably wouldn't use it to protect the roof seals. I'd say Krytox fluid would still be the best for that. But certainly the window rubber seals would seem ok.....especially the ones normally behind the glass.

Just putting it out there....

Peter

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Krytox is a ptfe lubricant. I also discovered ptfe lubricants coming in for cycle chains, but I don't know how much ptfe and how much 'filler' they put in the various products.

You can now buy liquid ptfe for plumbing/fawcett work very cheaply. But it is bright blue in color!

You could try wiping some Rainex on the window glass film, which should make the surface a bit more slippery. I think the problem with any film is it will never be as slippery as glass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a 2007 EOS Newbie. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and am getting around to ensuring things are maintained. I read this post, having wondered about the roof seals. I found this link for a Krytox 105 replacement pontential. The lister states it is a valid substitute, and may even work better than the original.
My questions?
1-Is the size bottle enough to last for a while? I am guessing it is to be spread thinly and will go a long ways.
2-Has anyone used this or have any feedback on this specific product?
Thanks. I am enjoying my EOS!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281703917619?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true

·
Super Moderator
2,391 Posts
Given the cost of replacing the Eos seals, saving a few dollars on lubricant especially when only a small amount is used when treating the seals is false economy.

Krytox GPL105 works, has been proved to fix leaks and maintain seal suppleness which is critical and stops creaks and other noises from the roof when driving on rough roads. I have been using Krytox GPL in the harsh Australian climate for 6 years and the seals look brand new and there have been no problems with water leaks, noise and seal degradation. The cost for two applications a year for 6 years has been less than AUD150 which is minimal compared to other costs for routine servicing [Note this cost is higher than what it would be now as I purchased the Krytox when the AUD/USD exchange rate was much less favourable than it is now].

I am very wary of anything offered on ebay as you have no guarantees that what is offered is true to description and remedies for post-use problems are often difficult to obtain especially if the supplier is located in another country. As you have an MY07 and especially if the original seals have not been replaced under warranty, it is imperative that you regularly treat the seals to minimise the incidence of water leaks as the seals on this model are not as effective as those on MY09 and later models.

BTW, I think you will be struggling to get more than one treatment from the 15ml bottle supplied especially if the seals are hard from lack of previous attention.

"The quality of the product is remembered long after the price has been forgotten".

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am a 2007 EOS Newbie. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and am getting around to ensuring things are maintained. I read this post, having wondered about the roof seals. I found this link for a Krytox 105 replacement pontential. The lister states it is a valid substitute, and may even work better than the original.
My questions?
1-Is the size bottle enough to last for a while? I am guessing it is to be spread thinly and will go a long ways.
2-Has anyone used this or have any feedback on this specific product?
Thanks. I am enjoying my EOS!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281703917619?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true
Ive used this recently. As they state it is a slightly lower viscosity than Krytox. (103/4 as opposed to 105) so it does absorb more easily. I treated my seals twice over a 2 week period and they are now very pliable with no leaks. I got the 30ml size & have only used about 30%. So Im happy with the product. Only time will tell if the seals deteriate!

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my research for 'alternatives' I concluded there was only one main manufacturer and patent holder of 100% clear PFPE lubricant - Dupont. But there were plenty of opportunities for 3rd parties to buy at Dupont bulk prices then re-package into something more suitable with an applicator.

The trick is to only look at the 100% pure and clear alternatives, because there are now many other cheaper products diluted down with liquid fillers.

I think this could be re-badged Krytox, although smallest 15ml isn't that much if you intend keeping your EOS. I bought the larger size bottle from Dupont and decant to a smaller eye dropper applicator bottle, like the product shown in the link.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just keep the sunscreen well away from the paintwork as it's very difficult to remove. This is an issue which affects all modern cars and can only be removed with vigourous polishing and abrasive treatment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts