Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a nice upgrade for MK5 EOS owners. These are also available for newer models as well. Can be found via EBay for $22-25. The included video is a unboxing and before/after so you can see how the turn signals function. There is a link in the video to a instruction video detailing how to take the door mirrors apart, I did not document that procedure in my video.

·
Life is good... so far
1,016 Posts
My issue is the smoked plastic as it is a known light killer as far as transmission is concerned. I am not a big fan of the smoked covers when put on headlights or taillights as a safety issue. Now these turn signal replacements seem bright possibly due to higher intensity leds being used which would compensate for the smoked effect. And they look good under reduced ambient light. How do they look in bright daylight? Are the OEM units actually reflectors? If they are it's a safety swap. One other question. Can you see the blinking from the driver's/ passenger seat like the OEM? My other criticism which is a personal thing is the smoked plastic clashes with the shade of blue my Eos is painted. The clear would be so much better.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I'd also want to know if they affect the bulb failure monitoring and leave me with errors since they are polling each led and the monitoring is pretty fast at latching up a fault code? You may not get a dash warning, but it would be annoying to keep seeing them on every diagnostics scan? I agree on the color, they wouldn't go with my Eismeer blue either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My issue is the smoked plastic as it is a known light killer as far as transmission is concerned. I am not a big fan of the smoked covers when put on headlights or taillights as a safety issue. Now these turn signal replacements seem bright possibly due to higher intensity leds being used which would compensate for the smoked effect. And they look good under reduced ambient light. How do they look in bright daylight? Are the OEM units actually reflectors? If they are it's a safety swap. One other question. Can you see the blinking from the driver's/ passenger seat like the OEM? My other criticism which is a personal thing is the smoked plastic clashes with the shade of blue my Eos is painted. The clear would be so much better.
These new blinkers are brighter than the OE units. Very visible in daylight as well.

I did test these while in the car, I can see the LED closest to the door as it cycles through.

Would prefer clear as well, but the smoke looks alright on grey.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd also want to know if they affect the bulb failure monitoring and leave me with errors since they are polling each led and the monitoring is pretty fast at latching up a fault code? You may not get a dash warning, but it would be annoying to keep seeing them on every diagnostics scan? I agree on the color, they wouldn't go with my Eismeer blue either.
No bulb out light, remember were replacing LED's with LED's, I highly doubt these are in the circuit that would trigger the "bulb out" light on the dash, there would be no reason to include them based on their estimated lifespan.

·
Registered
697 Posts
No bulb out light, remember were replacing LED's with LED's, I highly doubt these are in the circuit that would trigger the "bulb out" light on the dash, there would be no reason to include them based on their estimated lifespan.
You'd be surprised just how detailed it is. I don't know what version of dashboard you have, but the full version will show text e.g. "Front left parking light not working!" - as far as I know, every exterior lighting circuit is monitored individually - except the number plate light, where the two lights count as one. (You'll also get the details of which bulb is out in VCDS/OBDeleven/whatever.)

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
When you sequentially flash leds in a row they are not all on together and all on current is what the bulb failure circuit is monitoring. Until somebody tries one one in their EOS I don't know if the flashing leds will appear to our bulb failure monitoring as an intermittent lamp fault?

·
Registered
697 Posts
You’d hope they’d have made them work with the bulb failure monitoring, given that they’re for a specific few models of one make of car!

As I remember you can disable bulb failure monitoring for specific groups of lamps - I don’t know if the mirror indicators are included in this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did turn on the turn signal with one of the mirror blinkers not installed. By accident though, as I was reaching through the open window to turn the ignition off and bumped the turn signal switch. Front and rear turn signals were working as normal and no bulb out light popped up on the MFD display. Thats why I mentioned that maybe the mirror blinkers were not included in the "bulb out" circuit. Of course a error might be logged and visible via VCDS.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I know mine are only logged in the fault memory and read by vcds because I had an intermittent connector. It seems an easy place for water to get in. Many led aftermarket lighting items advertise as CANbus compatible. They really mean bulb failure compatible, but it's the same principle saying you won't get diagnostics failure messages. With constant on leds they can easily add a resistor to bring the power up to a level which won't get detected as a failure. But when you go from a constant current lamp to a current ramping up and down and flashing, that's more difficult if lamp failure detection considers over current as a lamp fail. However, in our EOS system I don't know if their lamp current detection sees the flashes and averages the time or not?

Somebody needs to buy and try one of these then scan wiith vcds to let us know if it should be recommended or not and the manufacturer should consider selling as CAN bus compatible in their advertising.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed these and they're working great. No faults on MFD or any other problems. Haven't scanned with VCDS though.
The only thing I don't like is that these blinkers don't have a single LED pointing towards you when you're sitting in a car. You can see it blinking in the dark if you look at it, but not with the corner of your eye like on the original one. It's not a deal breaker for me, even though i liked seeing the original one blinking from the inside of a car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts