Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few weeks we will be garaging our 2012 Komfort Eos for the winter. She will reemerge probably next April.

The car needs the usual regular maintenance service as well as a DSG oil/filter change. ( although there are only 66K miles, records do not indicate it has ever been done and our mechanic says don't take that chance)

My question..... should I wait until Spring to have this done getting her all ready for the season, or have it done now before she sits idle for the next 6 months.

Or does it even make a difference?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 VW EOS 2.0 TSi LUX, 80k miles.
230 Posts
In a few weeks we will be garaging our 2012 Komfort Eos for the winter. She will reemerge probably next April.

The car needs the usual regular maintenance service as well as a DSG oil/filter change. ( although there are only 66K miles, records do not indicate it has ever been done and our mechanic says don't take that chance)

My question..... should I wait until Spring to have this done getting her all ready for the season, or have it done now before she sits idle for the next 6 months.

Or does it even make a difference?

Thanks.
Me, I'd have it done BEFORE hibernation.

That being said, WHY are you planning to not use her during the Winter?

I am planning to use MY12 EoS Lux during the Winter (roof up, of course) and even have a set of snow tires/rims for her.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have two cars ( EOS and C-max)..... we are both in our 70's.....without back up sensors in the EOS ( did not come with them) when the roof is up we find it both claustrophobic and difficult visually reversing. That said...when I do drive the EOS top down...I am like a Cheshire cat...always smiling.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
In U.K there's always a rush for car servicing, repairs and annual tests at the start of Spring before people start taking holidays. You also get some really nice warm days before then as our climate now does unpredictable things. I'd go early just before the clocks change when your local shops may have more time and service appointments available? I agree the EOS parcel shelf and rear window sits up high and I'm glad MY07 has the OE reversing sensors. IMHO A reversing camera is never as good as a mirror, particularly at night, but it could be an option for you and better than nothing?

·
Life is good... so far
1,135 Posts
I believe most car people recommend having all the prep work done before putting the car away for the winter. I never do mine as there are times when I might use either of my cars during the winter. As for rear vision the biggest problem is the seat backs also known at rollover protection devices. They block the view and make it harder to clean the window. The fact that the amount of glass area and the large pillars don't make it easy to see out. I have a rea camera on on of my cars and it works reasonably well at night but nothing works well if your backup lights are poor or dirty.

·
Administrator
2,483 Posts
Regardless of whether you intend driving your car or not; be sure to lubricate all your seals inside and outside with Krytox GPL105 before winter and repeat when the warmer Spring weather returns.

This applies in all climates whether hot or cold and all weather conditions whether wet or dry..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW.... the VW mechanic in our area ( Seattle) suggested waiting until Spring to do the recommended service if I planned on garaging the vehicle for the next 5 months.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
The final decision to go early or late may come down to any items that are time dependent and how much you care about it. E.g a cam belt may need replacing based on age not mileage. Or fluids like brake and coolant haven't been done for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts