Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking to buy my first car and am in love with the vw eos. I have been dreaming of owning this car for years. In my country you can find a used eos starting from 5000€ but i read i should stay away from pre 2008 eos due to roof leaks, so 2009+ eos with decent mileage start from 8000€. I dont have much money to spare in repairs and my father who will financially help me buy my car thinks it is a bad idea due to age (12 years) and the complex roof which he believes will "ask" for a costly repair very soon. As eos owners would you suggest this car to me and if so how reliable would you say it is?

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
There is really no correct answer to tell you whether the EOS or any car will be reliable. The exception might be a V.W less than 3 years old that still has the comprehensive factory warranty running. The EOS is very complex and few workshops understand the roof operation in sufficient detail to repair it. Repair costs at a dealer can be very high and IMHO this is a car you buy prepared to learn and do your own repairs. If the EOS will be your only commute car and you can't be without it, I would re-think your decision. If the EOS will be your second car, a fine weather car and you don't need to depend on it then you can tolerate any time off road for repairs.

It's not about how much money you spend that guarantees less risk of things going wrong but your budget for repairs and the trouble you may have maintaining a complex 'becoming classic' car.

I think your father has wisdom you should listen too and don't fall in love with something first that could bite you hard in your pocket at an age when you are financially less stable. I have owned MY07 EOS a long time and have had very few mechanical issues with the engine and parts common to other V.W cars. But the roof for most who cannot fault find and do their own repairs is the biggest uncertainty. When you buy an EOS, the mileage is no indicator of the condition of the roof and whether critical care has been taken to keep water out of the cabin and trunk and keep the window regulators in good condition. If you are still keen on a cabriolet, look at something like the smaller Toyota MR2 with a simpler roof system.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I would say it's better to wait to buy your dream car until you have the money to buy it outright and have some money in the bank in case you need repairs.

Generally, I think cars are a lot more reliable than they used to be. My 2007 Eos is now older than any non-classic car I've owned, and so far the maintenance bills haven't been huge.

If I were in your position, I would get something cheap as your first car, and save up to buy an Eos when you're in a position to buy it outright. As long as you check the car thoroughly before buying it, the chance of a big repair bill is low, but I wouldn't want to give my father the opportunity to say "I told you so" - and he wouldn't like it either ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your feedback. I needed to hear it from someone who owns and loves the eos. Guess I'll have to wait a few more years.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That'll make it all the sweeter when you get there - and when the time comes, I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here willing to give you advice on how to make sure you get the right one. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go for it.... Pretty reliable as they use the same engine in most of if not all VW flag ship cars.

I bought my first one last week with a faulty roof, 2006, 2.0TFSI @80k miles for £1200. Here in the UK cars are dirt cheap.

I'm learning how to fix the roof. If you are going to buy one make sure the roof is working, then clean and regrese the seals and tracks first.

However the Europe 8k € I would go for Toyota... Any diesel Toyota. I wouldn't spend that much on any German car...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am currently looking to buy my first car and am in love with the vw eos. I have been dreaming of owning this car for years. In my country you can find a used eos starting from 5000€ but i read i should stay away from pre 2008 eos due to roof leaks, so 2009+ eos with decent mileage start from 8000€. I dont have much money to spare in repairs and my father who will financially help me buy my car thinks it is a bad idea due to age (12 years) and the complex roof which he believes will "ask" for a costly repair very soon. As eos owners would you suggest this car to me and if so how reliable would you say it is?
Hi - I bought a used 2009 EOS in 2012 with 53,000 kilometres and have been driving it every summer without any major problems. Only had to replace a headlight, first repair ever. I know have close to 120,000 kilometres on it. Love my car. Hope that I can keep it for a very long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes.... buy one. I bought mine 2 weeks ago. 2009 with 150,000 miles. So far I've invested like $500 on repairs.. so overall not bad at all.. The car turns heads everywhere, there aren't many around and they are super fun to drive. I think I'm a keep this as long as I can

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I read here, I think that investing 8K+ is not a wise move. But maybe finding something from '07 with 100K+ kilometers and a price around 5.5K is a better option. If I get a mechanic to check it and says it's ok, how bad can it be?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
When it comes to buying an Eos, I would trust a mechanic on the parts that are more-or-less the same as on a regular car. You would need to check the roof yourself (following guidance elsewhere on this forum) as most mechanics won't know the Eos roof and the things to look out for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, i have that in mind. The concept is to get it to one mechanic for the mechanical parts, and then if everything is ok, get it to another repair shop i found that specializes in sunroofs and cabrios, i went to ask them today and they happened to work on an eos. The mechanic said that if you do regular maintenance on your eos it is unlikely to go bad. Another interesting thing he said is that many people operate the roof on uneven ground, causing the weight to "fall" on one side and damage the roof. He said this kind of damage is the most common and also expensive.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That's not something I'd heard before, but it makes sense when you think about it! The one I had heard before is that operating the roof in heavy winds is a bad idea and risks damage.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
The one I had heard before is that operating the roof in heavy winds is a bad idea and risks damage.
.....and if you open a door in heavy winds, the hinge restraint isn't strong enough to prevent serious misalignment of the door and you might not be able to close and lock it afterwards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts