Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to this and I am looking to get a EOS for my daughter who is getting her P’s
As well as a second car , my question is should I buy one if so what to look at or avoid.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
There's plenty here to search for. These are cars with a complex roof system. Think what could happen if she's away from home and the roof stops half open? Do you have technical experience for DIY repairs or is there a service shop close to you with an experienced EOS roof technician?

When you buy a car for yourself and are prepared to spend time learning and repairing it DIY, there's a certain amount of enthusiasm, joy and pleasure of achieving a repair. When you buy a car for somebody else and you are the maintainer, the joy and pleasure of driving is theirs, but the hassle, inconvenience, time off road and cost of repairs becomes your problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response,
Yes I am handy but I don’t think I would want another project at this stage as I have a few on the go , also ate these roofs prone to leaking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,
I am new to this and I am looking to get a EOS for my daughter who is getting her P’s
As well as a second car , my question is should I buy one if so what to look at or avoid.
No, don't buy her one. As VOX points out, the convertible roof is the Achilles heel. Very complex and when they do fail, consider yourself lucky if it fails in the up position. Very nice car to drive with much more HP than your daughter needs. Auto trans can be quirky as well.

Look for a Civic or Accord or similar rice rocket. Run forever and cheap to drive and maintain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, don't buy her one. As VOX points out, the convertible roof is the Achilles heel. Very complex and when they do fail, consider yourself lucky if it fails in the up position. Very nice car to drive with much more HP than your daughter needs. Auto trans can be quirky as well.

Look for a Civic or Accord or similar rice rocket. Run forever and cheap to drive and maintain.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
Not really. They made body shape changes after about 2012 but are all still basically the same. There are claims that newer EOS's had better roof seals, but I've seen very little hard evidence they are that different. However, there is an eyewatering list of service fixes for the EOS roof, worse than MS Windows. If you saw it you would run a mile!

If you were able to buy a new EOS now with the 3 year factory warranty covering all things, that would be the safest bet, but 3rd party resale warranties don't often cover roof seals and leak problems. Regard the EOS as an enthusiast car needing care and TLC. If you want a reliable daily driver that can be easily serviced and fixed locally, don't buy her an EOS, unless it's a second fun Summer car and you don't mind it being off road for repairs or fixing it when you have the time. Despite all this, most cabriolets get roof problems and the EOS is a great car when it's working and if you are prepared to learn DIY cars. My wife owned and drove MY07 for 3 years, but I was careful to check and fix problems as soon as they ocurred. Garaging an EOS is a safer bet than driveway parking.

·
South Australian Owner
227 Posts
Just don't do it! Eos is a highly technical car, and not for the faint hearted. As soon as the roof malfunctions, its probably going to be a lot to fix. Instead of a convertible roof, you should prioritise a car with AEB instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I loved the way this car drove, everything else is over engineered and a constant repair project. If it were me I would find something less complicated and expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I loved the way this car drove, everything else is over engineered and a constant repair project. If it were me I would find something less complicated and expensive to maintain.
"Over engineered" is putting it midly!

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
'Over engineering' is fine if it justifies long life and trouble free ownership without huge expensive repair bills, because the 'over engineering' made it too complicated to repair.
When cars are sold they should use the accountants approach allowing buyers to compare benefits versus the downsides - The true cost of ownership over it's expected life in terms of mony and loss of use during repair downtime. I hope manufacturers will do better on electric vehicles, but my fear is early release to market will come with software bugs hidden and continually being fixed (under warranty) and an increased complexity of expensive throw away non-recyclable faulty electronic parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts