Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
since my side mirrors lightly corroded I decided to replace them. I can't find anywhere information which side mirrors does fit on VW Eos 1F7?
Does it fit from golf mk5, mk6, mk7?

Thx,
Bg

·
Registered
772 Posts
The mirrors are specific to the Eos; there are a few different variants, some fold others don't. You may find it easier to just take the mirror off, brush away the corrosion and give them some new paint. If you have folding mirrors it could be better to stick with one you know works instead of buying a replacement that might not work as smoothly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but its cheaper to buy MK6 new side door mirrors (if they fit), than pre-owned eos mirrors. I just wonder if it fits from any other vehicle to eos?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
For what it's worth, V.W do not use any etch primer on the bare ali casting underneath the top coat, I think it's thin powder coated. One small hit from a piece of grit breaks the surface and corrosion starts. The same thing will happen to the others, it's a paint design feature! Buy new and you will probably see the same problem some years ahead.

Since you have to learn removing the old mirrors and mounts anyway, you might as well clean up their castings, apply a decent etch primer, black rattle can top coat finish and bake in momas oven for an hour at 60C. We are lucky the mirror brackets are black and not color matched, but that's an option if you have deep pockets.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You may well find that they do fit - all that matters is the bolt pattern and the size of the mounting plate - but given that the other parts of the mirror assembly (glass, indicator, cover) are interchangeable with other models but the whole assembly is Eos specific, I would guess that the mounting plate is different.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I usually look and see what part numbers are printed on the actual parts. The V.W parts list will list EOS part numbers but as I found out recently, the led turn signal units have Golf 1K part numbers on them as do the ABS shells and some other parts are like this. Somewhere on the ali casting there will be a V.W part number. If it starts 1K look at Golf/Passat parts if it's anything else it's probably EOS specific.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts