Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VW EOS VR6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is the main reason I decided to get on this forum in the hopes that someone may have some advice for me.

Just incase you missed my introduction post, I have a 13 year old VW EOS VR6. It has done getting on for 123,000 miles.

I have began noticing recently, when driving down the road in a straight line, if I hit even the slightest of bumps, the car appears to have a slight wobble effect that settles down again after a second or 2.
The best way to describe it would be to imagine you were making very quick & small left - right motions on the steering wheel, imagine the wobble feeling the car would have - that is it.

Has anyone experienced anything similar at all? Any pointers as to what it could be?

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
It's so obvious and I'm sure it's not your problem, but I once drove a car with similar symptoms and somebody had left the front wheel nuts loose!! The second obvious is uneven tire wear or a tire defect. You can test that by swapping the front with the rears.

The EOS like all similar VAG cars has front suspension, steering joints and shock absorbers that can wear. The only way to check is visually up on a 4 post lift and check around with a pinch bar. There are also some tire shops that have kit to check shocks. You can try do some aggressive twists and turns in a quiet area at low speeds. Pull hard down on the steering to force a hard lock on one side to dip the wing, then steer hard the other way to drive the car in a snake track. Listen for any bumps or clunks. The front suspension should dip down and rise smoothly each side without any overshoot or bounce.

·
Registered
2007 VW EOS VR6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull hard down on the steering to force a hard lock on one side to dip the wing, then steer hard the other way to drive the car in a snake track. Listen for any bumps or clunks.
Thank you for your reply.

Now that you mention this, I do recall one or two occasions where I have had the steering on full lock & then started to reverse, there has been quite a significant clunking noise from somewhere near the front of the car.
I’m guessing that this may be connected to the wobbly issue that I am experiencing?

I have not done much investigating myself as I suffer from Cerebral Palsy so getting hands on isn’t exactly my strong point.
I will get a friend or family member to have a closer look for me though 😊

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I think you should try a decent national tire shop? They should have the garage lift and experience. Basically they should be looking closely at all the MOT checks and more. Somebody who knows what to look for, really does need to have eyes on and you don't want to take chances. Most V.W/Audi Independents should be familiar with V.W steering and suspension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts