Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Eos Executive
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long time lurker first time poster.
I am having a hard time removing the divider switch and don't want to force anything. The instructions say to unclip it but It doesn't appear to unclip.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
1DA225D0-07BE-4A45-AFED-3C18EE533E5A.jpeg
4607ECDA-9BA2-4EE7-9FA3-0E15C6DDEB3B.png

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
205 Posts
I believe this procedure is so you can remove or move out of the way the trunk trim panel. If you can't remove the switch from the panel, then like the instructions state, just unplug the wiring harness so you can move the panel out of the way.

·
Registered
2012 Eos Executive
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this procedure is so you can remove or move out of the way the trunk trim panel. If you can't remove the switch from the panel, then like the instructions state, just unplug the wiring harness so you can move the panel out of the way.
Thanks for that!, I’ll give it anither look tomorrow.
Have you ever installed one if these?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
205 Posts
Thanks for that!, I’ll give it anither look tomorrow.
Have you ever installed one if these?
No I have not. I did do a bit of research on it though, would be nice to have but lowering/raising the roof while driving isn't really a priority and the price is offsetting.

·
Registered
2012 Eos Executive
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I have not. I did do a bit of research on it though, would be nice to have but lowering/raising the roof while driving isn't really a priority and the price is offsetting.
Thanks for looking into it.
I have 0 desire to use it while the vehicle is in motion. I have that feature disabled, but it would be very convenient for other things.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Hearing or seeing something unusual from inside as an EOS roof opens or closes might avoid a trashed roof writing off the car. Automatic roof open/close addons may look smart, but IMHO I would rather have my finger held on the roof op. SAFETY switch, ready to abort the operation or reverse if something isn't right.

The wind force on a part open EOS roof is HUGE and too much for the unlocked structure to handle, which is why V.W disable roof operation once speed gets above 5(?)mph.

The switch does unclip and the first thing you do is solder splice and sleeve a pair of longer wires to avoid them being damaged when the trims are lifted. Same with the rear tweeters too.

·
Registered
2012 Eos Executive
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hearing or seeing something unusual from inside as an EOS roof opens or closes might avoid a trashed roof writing off the car. Automatic roof open/close addons may look smart, but IMHO I would rather have my finger held on the roof op. SAFETY switch, ready to abort the operation or reverse if something isn't right.

The wind force on a part open EOS roof is HUGE and too much for the unlocked structure to handle, which is why V.W disable roof operation once speed gets above 5(?)mph.

The switch does unclip and the first thing you do is solder splice and sleeve a pair of longer wires to avoid them being damaged when the trims are lifted. Same with the rear tweeters too.
Thank you for your input Vox.
I want to install it for convenience not coolness.
Im going to look at it again today and will post the outcome.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
What is the convenience? When you are standing outside the car you can't easily see both flaps opening and closing correctly and not getting caught. From inside the car with head turned around, you can hear the pump, normal hydraulic sounds and see the flaps are working o.k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also would be concerned of the battery usage, but I’m paranoid on my battery lately.

Reactions: Traxx

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree, that little sucker is easy when you know how to release, but awkward when you don't, hopefully you've sussed it by now.
I had the smarttop on mine, great bit of kit and if you have a reliable roof that has been looked after and maintained, then it shouldn't be a problem. I know some are paranoid, but if you hear a noise when operating the switch, well it's probably game over anyway.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I don't open and close my roof unless the engine is running. Why? Because the roof pump will pull the battery voltage down, run slower, strain more and take more current. The same is true of windows but particularly the sunroof. Run the engine, get 14.3 volts and the roof pump and sunroof motor will not work so hard. Can you start the car remotely with Smartop as well as operate the roof?

·
Registered
2012 Eos Executive
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to unclip the switch and complete the install.
I did quite a bit of online searching, regarding the smarttop, and most of what I found was positive which led to my decision.
I have had no issues with the roof and hopefully wont in the future.
Thank you all again & stay safe. 👍

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hearing or seeing something unusual from inside as an EOS roof opens or closes might avoid a trashed roof writing off the car.
TBH you can't see much of the operation from the driver's seat and you're stuck there with your finger on the button, so this point is somewhat moot.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I like my finger stuck on the button, it's the EOS roof 'dead mans handle' even though I was never a locomotive driver! :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I was able to unclip the switch and complete the install.
I did quite a bit of online searching, regarding the smarttop, and most of what I found was positive which led to my decision.
I have had no issues with the roof and hopefully wont in the future.
Thank you all again & stay safe. 👍
I have had my Smarttop fitted for 10 years now, never had an issue in any way... Im sure you will enjoy it.. :)

·
Registered
2012 Eos Executive
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Dave, thats good to hear.
So far it seems to be well worth it.
I really like being able to close the sunroof and windows with 1 click!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts