Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Black Individual 2.0 TSI
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the damp, muddy winter weather is well and truly here in good old England, how do you guys keep that sparkle on your bodywork ? I've read in the owners book that one shouldn't use a power washer near the roof seals - what does the forum here think - power washer or old fashined soap and bucket ? I'm going for the power washer with care.....

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm going for the power washer with care.....

How do you use a power washer with care, the only statement anyone can make to you is "user beware" ??

Knowing how the foor seals can cuase so many problems, is it worth the risk

Derek

·
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast
1,256 Posts
Even here in Virginia it has been a wet Fall and now early winter. Snow expected this weekend. If the temp is above 40(F) or so, I'm more inclined to put on a pair of rubber gloves, get a bucket of warm water from the kitchen and wash by hand.

·
Black Individual 2.0 TSI
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going for the power washer with care.....

How do you use a power washer with care, the only statement anyone can make to you is "user beware" ??

Knowing how the foor seals can cuase so many problems, is it worth the risk

Derek
To elaborate, using the pressure washer for the majority of the vehicle staying clear of the roof seals...

·
Registered
133 Posts
The dealer does mine when it is back being fixed :) - only kidding....... Maybe....

I personally never power wash it as it can upset the seals. I normally use a wash wax, use a hose pipe to remove the lather and then remove the water using a micro fibre cloth. I don't use a wash leather as on previous vehicles over time it has scratched the paint.

Also a good tip is to rinse downwards rather than upwards. The roof seals are not that tolerant to vertical water jets - as I found out :eek:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I tend to wash mine on a rainy day with a sponge and bucket of warm water with a car shampoo (usually Autoglym). The rain loosens the dirt prior to me doing the wash. Once rinsed, Big G does finishes it off with no water marks - rain being soft water. ;)

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
I would recommend copious amounts of warm water with a proprietary brand of wash wax and a quality brush not a cloth or a wash mitt as there is no-where for the grit to go.
If you are really fussy you could pre-wash it with snow foam which will help lift any grit off the paint before giving a good wash wax.
I would start with the car well wetted from a hose preferably, a good, gentle wash applying lots of warm water and where there is grime rinse the brush in a separate bucket of clean water to remove any residual grit.
Reserve the power washer for the underside, wheels and arches.
Once you are happy with the wash, a good rinse and the tricky bit, take it for a spin to dry it off without getting it dirty again. Some chance.
I like to use MER for a cracking finish, it has a number of advantages over other waxes, it can be applied to a wet vehicle and if you don’t get finished in one day you can always go back to it the next day. If you are doing the polishing and the sun is out there is no need to find shade
I also like Turtle ICE liquid polish as it does not leave a residue of any sort, I have found though that it gives a better finish on the 306 which is Moonstone (ice blue)
And to finish off a coat of Rain X to all glass surfaces except the windscreen. Perfect.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Usually take mine to Tesco's when I'm up in New Malden where they have a team of Polish workers who thoroughly clean the car inside & out. I have to warn them about keeping the pressure hoses away from the roof seals but they usually do a great job for £14.00.
I gave the car a thorough wash & Autoglym polish myself in September, ready for the Autumn/Winter weather. At the moment, the car is absolutely filthy & desperately needs a trip to Tesco's. However, I'm not likely to be near London in the near future but there is a hand wash company in the centre of Plymouth & I'll probably go there next week. Not as cheap as New Malden but they do a good job. Krytoxed everything in September so I hope that will last till the Spring. Only another week to go & the days start getting longer........:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I take it to the loca handwash, find the traffic film remover they use is great for getting rid of krytok. I notice some hand wash places just dont remove the stuff.

I always have the power washer used, but as long as nobody sprays right on the seals at close range then what is the problem... just make sure that you dont kill the engine and the windows drop... that would be bad

·
Registered
359 Posts
My husband cleans mine! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts