Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I read your fault finding guide Voxmagna and your tip in the first sentence saying resolve any water ingress issues first was spot on. Despite never noticing any moisture in the trunk there was about 1 millimeter of standing water at the rear of the trunk under the pump (car is parked uphill!) BUT the lower foam box around the pump was saturated in water and the pump was very wet!!! Just as I see you noted on another thread the lower foam is made of open cell whereas the upper is closed cell. I suspect the only reason Volkswagen included the darn foam box around the roof pump at all was NVH reasons as the noise is unbecoming of a car in this price range I suspect they thought.

It also may be that the problem surfaced because we bought a new house and now started parking the car uphill right before the roof problem. At the old house we always parked it on a flat surface. 2 months parked on a slight incline was enough time for the foam to soak up enough water to get the pump wet enough to malfunction.

The roof works perfectly now. It's a bummer we have to sell this car as my wife and I both really like it. But perhaps once all the student loans are paid off we'll get another when they're even cheaper.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
My foam box was all open cell. When I removed it (permanently) I thought I was holding a huge heavy jelly as it held so much water! V.W use the same type of foam in other places, including inside the top and rear of the front fenders.
But perhaps once all the student loans are paid off we'll get another when they're even cheaper.
Finding a well cared for good EOS will become harder, but getting used parts from EOS's too expensive to repair will initially be easier to find and cheaper. After that, the EOS will become near Classic when only enthusiasts are running them and parts become scarce and more expensive. The EOS will be sat at classic car shows with its roof open alongside the DeLorean with its innovative 'Gull Wing' doors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
We found a buyer! She had a mechanic inspect it and his report showed very bad brake fluid and very bad power steering fluid & the tires needing replaced. I said I would change the brake fluid and power steering fluid and we agreed on a price.

I didn't think this car even had power steering fluid. I checked the owners manual and confirmed I'm correct. But I've gotta get the brake fluid changed ASAP. I have a Motive pressurebrake bleeder but it won't fit the brake fluid resivoir of the EOS! Does anybody know what adapter fits the EOS or what mm size the brake fluid cap is? I've spent an hour online trying to find this and can't find it anywhere. Motive's website shows the adapter that fits BMWs also fits VWs but it won't fit.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
I use a Gunson pressure brake bleeder kit which came with 2 or 3 reservoir caps, one of which is V.W compatible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Problem solved! The adapter for the Nissan 350Z was different than the European one. I was using the one for the 350Z and didn't realize it! No wonder it didn't fit. I searched my garage and found a 2nd one and it fits! No wonder I was so puzzeled! haha

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
There's something they don't tell you about those MC pressure bleed kits: Many cars like ours have skinny spares pumped up to very high pressures to take the load on a small profile tire. I consider 50psi is way over the top for a plastic brake reservoir! I always let air out until the tire is down to about 15psi, or use my regulated air hose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There's something they don't tell you about those MC pressure bleed kits: Many cars like ours have skinny spares pumped up to very high pressures to take the load on a small profile tire. I consider 50psi is way over the top for a plastic brake reservoir! I always let air out until the tire is down to about 15psi, or use my regulated air hose.
Wow, yeah I bet. I use a power brake bleeder. It advises only 10-15 psi is plenty.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts