Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
When I bought my Eos last month I was only supplied with 1 key. I assumed all vehicles came with 2 keys ??. I phoned vw main dealer and they quoted £250 there must be a cheaper option please ???

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me. All you can do (UK) is try to trace the previous owner through DVLA when you get the reg.docs back, ask and give a reward! That price is about right because the spare key has to be programmed to your car - yes they will need it for an hour.

Often sellers forget their wifey may have a key. No luck if there was an acrimonious separation though!:(

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's about right on the price. Yes, you have to have the dealer get a key cut and programmed for your car. Independent locksmiths may be able to do it, but it will only be a clone of your key, which is OK if you don't have key dependent memory systems in yours. (Not sure of the later model years offered that or not)

·
Registered
70 Posts
On preowned if dealer only got one key on trade or their wholesale purchase that is all you will be given. The problem is that the buyer does not get the keys until all other documents and payment arrangements have been completed. At that time there is little to negotiate.I had a similar problem on a preowned Audi.

Replacements are expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I only received 1 key on the private purchase of my 08. I found a local locksmith who provided the fob, cut the key and programmed it for $175. The dealer wanted nearly $400. I just wasn’t comfortable with only having 1 key

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
It might be useful for others to know that the number of keys programmed for the car is stored and can be read from the ECU by a locksmith or using diagnostics. If you buy a used car with one fob then it's worth checking first if there ever was a second key, then try and chase up the previous owner.

On a used dealer car resell it's up to you the buyer to check it over. A prudent buyer should ask for and see a clear diagnostics scan before putting down a large deposit. Even if you paid say half the cost for the printout, you get valuable information including VIN number and ECU recorded mileage. At the same time they can tell you how many keys are coded to the car.

When a dealer/locksmith supplies and programs a new key they erase the memory for all previous keys so you don't need to worry about a spare key around you don't have. If keys you don't have aren't erased, I suppose there could be a clever scam for a very expensive newish car which gets sold on, but the scammer knows where it went to then steals it off your driveway. I don't think oldish EOS's would be that desireable.:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
It might be useful for others to know that the number of keys programmed for the car is stored and can be read from the ECU by a locksmith or using diagnostics. If you buy a used car with one fob then it's worth checking first if there ever was a second key, then try and chase up the previous owner.

On a used dealer car resell it's up to you the buyer to check it over. A prudent buyer should ask for and see a clear diagnostics scan before putting down a large deposit. Even if you paid say half the cost for the printout, you get valuable information including VIN number and ECU recorded mileage. At the same time they can tell you how many keys are coded to the car.

When a dealer/locksmith supplies and programs a new key they erase the memory for all previous keys so you don't need to worry about a spare key around you don't have. If keys you don't have aren't erased, I suppose there could be a clever scam for a very expensive newish car which gets sold on, but the scammer knows where it went to then steals it off your driveway. I don't think oldish EOS's would be that desireable.:)
Don't forget that in addition to the second key, there is also a Valet Key, if that's important for you. I think I only used it twice in the 3+ years I've owned my 2015 Eos.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't forget that in addition to the second key, there is also a Valet Key, if that's important for you. I think I only used it twice in the 3+ years I've owned my 2015 Eos.

Yes- this comes in handy as the valet key will not allow the trunk to be unlocked or the unlocking of the rear seat arm rest/storage. Good to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yes- this comes in handy as the valet key will not allow the trunk to be unlocked or the unlocking of the rear seat arm rest/storage. Good to keep in mind.
Never knew you could get a valet key, maybe that's just for you guys over the pond.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I only received 1 key on the private purchase of my 08. I found a local locksmith who provided the fob, cut the key and programmed it for $175. The dealer wanted nearly $400. I just wasn’t comfortable with only having 1 key
Hello do you remember what locksmith you went to I need the same help.
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello do you remember what locksmith you went to I need the same help.
Thanks
I received 2 key fobs when I got my 15 EOS last month. The sale came with a short-term extended warranty(100 days or 4100 miles) One of the keyfobs was corroded...
I did some research before I took my car in for some of the little hiccups. I had no idea the warranty would cover as much as they did, including the 2nd keyfob...
eBay has blank keyfobs for under $20 and there are places that say they can program it for $50-$100 (I didn't research the programming in detail)
Batteries+ (if there is one near you) had an advertisement for under $75 (I think, it may have been less) keyfobs with programming
The warranty company paid for a new one from the dealer, but the total cost would have been $161 from the dealer

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Empty fob cases and blank key blades off Ebay are easy. It's getting the right generation of circuit board and then re-programming the immobiliser in the car to the new fob that's the hard part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts