Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my neighbors here just about a month ago lucked up and got a 2012 Volkswagen EOS Komfort convertible just like mine. But he is having some issues and can’t figure it out. He doesn’t really do Internet so I thought I would ask here for him. For some reason he can put brand new spark plugs in there in the cold packs and after a couple of weeks he can pull the spark plugs and they’re all corroded and sometimes has oil on one Of them. He is replaced them and just checked yesterday and they are the same way again. Anybody have any suggestions why? Also he has an OBD two reader and for some reason it keeps saying his IAT sensor is high. He’s already replaced the IaT and has even replaced his mass airflow sensor. But it still gives him the same readings. Yes he has cleared the codes on the OBD reader and on the dash of his car but the check engine light will automatically come back on, he does a new scan and it says the IAT sensor is high. Any help or suggestions in that department would be awesome and ever so thankful to please.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Sounds like your neighbor could have 'lucked out' on a bad engine if plugs are always oiled and oil is being burned? IMHO your neighbor should take the car to a good garage workshop with trained people who know how to test the engine rather than do it themselves with no experience of what to look for?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your neighbor could have 'lucked out' on a bad engine if plugs are always oiled and oil is being burned? IMHO your neighbor should take the car to a good garage workshop with trained people who know how to test the engine rather than do it themselves with no experience of what to look for?
Sorry I just realized that it said that he got the car about a month ago. Totally wrong there, I need to learn to proofread before I post LOL. He got the car about six months ago but about a month ago is when this started happening. When he first got the car it was running good but about three months ago he had a random misfire in one of the cylinders so he had a friend I believe replace the spark plugs and the coil packs. It ran pretty good for about a few weeks and then the check engine light came back on I can’t remember what the OBD reader said but he had to replace his fuel pump control module and he did. And it seem to be running pretty good until here about two months ago it did that random misfire on him again and that’s when he noticed that they were corroded and looked burned up, but he wiped all of that black suet off of them and they were still pretty decent so he put them back in and that seem to clear up the problems but the check engine light stayed on. That’s when it started saying that the IAT sensor is too high. So he replaced it and a mass airflow sensor and put in new spark plugs. He said it seems like since he’s done that the oil is not burning up as much and him having to put more in. Someone told him that if he’s oil is slightly dirty he could get that or if his air filter is dirty he could get that reading also. With warmer weather finally coming here to us he is ready to enjoy the car with the top down. But at the same time he has gotten very frustrated with it. Also someone said that maybe there’s a faulty wire somewhere but he has glanced and looked but can’t find it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing LOL. I keep forgetting to mention. For some reason it wants to hesitate and die when he is sitting at a stoplight or stop sign it dies or when he is getting ready to give it gas to move the car again it hesitateS and dies. It will start back up but he’s beginning to worry about his safety. He said that just started doing that about two weeks ago. Any suggestions why it would do that?

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
You cannot find complex faults and do proper repairs with a cheap generic code reader. They may give you a fault code and we can all summise with guesswork to say try this and that to keep spending your money without success. Cheap or generic OBD readers don't give measurement values or further information to help do proper diagnostics work. You need either Ross-tech vcds, OBDEleven or similar V.W compatible diagnostics tools, know how the engine system works and how to use the diagnostics tools. The last part is very important!

When you go to a garage, they don't just scan and go to a part from a fault code which sounds like what you are looking for? They use their years of training and experience backed up by V.W historic faults database to repair your car. IMHO some of the things you have said suggest you need a competent technician looking at and repairing your car? Your mindset may be to hope for a single fault, but there could be more than one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You cannot find complex faults and do proper repairs with a cheap generic code reader. They may give you a fault code and we can all summise with guesswork to say try this and that to keep spending your money without success. Cheap or generic OBD readers don't give measurement values or further information to help do proper diagnostics work. You need either Ross-tech vcds, OBDEleven or similar V.W compatible diagnostics tools, know how the engine system works and how to use the diagnostics tools. The last part is very important!

When you go to a garage, they don't just scan and go to a part from a fault code which sounds like what you are looking for? They use their years of training and experience backed up by V.W historic faults database to repair your car. IMHO some of the things you have said suggest you need a competent technician looking at and repairing your car? Your mindset may be to hope for a single fault, but there could be more than one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ty so much for all the help and info. He’s having it took to a mechanic this weekend and he found a shop that works strictly on German car’s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts