Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Volkswagen EOS, and as of a few weeks ago I started noticing water in my rear passenger floorboard. Its not just damp there is a puddle of water. I have soaked it up a few times and vacuumed it out. I read about drains getting clogged so I took my car to a body shop and they blew out all the drains and said they were all clear. Other than a few drops when I go through a car wash I don't notice a lot of water coming in through the top. Does anyone know what could be causing this or is it a common issue. The car only has 30,000 miles on it.

·
497 Posts
When was the last time it had the "Krytox" treatment. Try avoiding the car wash and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just purchased the car in December. I'm not sure about the Krytox treatment. I had it looked at and they tried telling me it was my seals around the convertible top and it would be approximately $4000 to replace them. However, it hasn't rained for the last few days and I'm still getting water?

·
497 Posts
Do the seals look physically damaged?
"Krytox" oil is used to make the rubber seals supple, stop them becoming hard and cracking and to ensure a good watertight fit. It sounds as if yours have deteriorated beyond routine maintenance. Sorry I can not offer anymore help... good luck in finding a resolution.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Do not do anything until you have Krytoxed the seals at least twice on two hot days at least a week apart using the information provided elsewhere on this Forum.

If the seals are grey and hard, this is highly probable it is the cause of your problem. If the seals are a matt black and are soft and supple, the cause may be misalignment of the body panels and further investigation will be required.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Other than a few drops when I go through a car wash
Worst thing you can do on the EOS. The car wash and their shampoo additives will scrub off Krytox treatment after a while. I use a telescopic soft bristle hose brush on my hosepipe, which allows you to comfortably get across the roof. I only add a little detergent. I use a pressure washer for the chassis and wheel arches.

You need to find out where water is getting in. The EOS method is to have somebody outside spraying the car with a hose whilst you sit inside. Remember a car wash is short term, whereas the car can be sat outside for 24 hours in rain and even a small leak can leave a lot of water behind. I haven't been under mine recently, but check if there are any large grommet bungs in the floor pan and one has been left out.

There were some issues with door seals allowing water off the roof to run down the outside then cross over into the cabin space. Mine had a VW mod. done and there are a couple of 'scalpel 'V' cuts on each door seal. Run some thin paper around a closed door and feel for loss of friction caused by a seal gap.

There are so many leak permutations and fixes you really need to do some work first to find out where water is getting in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the seals aren't grey and hard. And I don't think thats my issue. It hasn't rained for a few days so I took a shop vac and cleaned out all the water and used a blow dryer to dry it out. I have driven around all day with the air going and no rain and this evening on my way home I looked over and there is water in my floor mats. It can't be the seals if its happening with no rain and no carwash??? Any other suggestions. I will definitely look into the Krytox treatment. But what else would be causing this only on the passenger side?

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Are the 'fish tanks' both dry? They are the deep cavities that the roof top sections drop into. Also check the rear window slot cavities are dry. I am wondering if water has built up and not drained away. I think I raised this before that the fish tanks have no drains but there are holes and grommets in the steel sides that will leak water if they fill up and water is slopping about as you accelerate and brake. However, there should be no water in either if the door, glass and roof seals are o.k. If this is the problem, stored water will eventually leak out from the bottom of the side panel, just in front of the rear seat and on to the carpet.

Start lowering the roof until just the two side flap covers hinge out, then have a look inside with a flashlight. Leave the motor running, but be careful putting your hands inside when the roof is part open as the roof pump will shut down after 8 minutes.

·
Rewog1
20 Posts
If I may add one item to the top maintenance, while moving the top to access all the seal areas take the time to grease all the top hinge pins and moving parts. I use a white lithium grease spray, goes on as a liquid so it flows into the tight areas and dries as a fine grease. It seems to me that my top operates very smoothly after a grease job. I know this will not help the leak issue but is a good item to take care of while you are dealing with the seals.

·
Rewog1
20 Posts
If I may add one item to the top maintenance, while moving the top to access all the seal areas take the time to grease all the top hinge pins and moving parts. I use a white lithium grease spray, goes on as a liquid so it flows into the tight areas and dries as a fine grease. It seems to me that my top operates very smoothly after a grease job. I know this will not help the leak issue but is a good item to take care of while you are dealing with the seals.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I wonder if that white grease is what V.W use, because I've seen something like it on the sunroof rails - another important area.

I think the OP is driving around with half a gallon of water sitting somewhere and leaking out on dry days.:eek:

·
497 Posts
Is the front passenger footwell dry?

·
YORKSHIRE PUDDING
141 Posts
Hi rewog1 that lithium stuff seems good , will try that, cheers Rick.

·
YORKSHIRE PUDDING
141 Posts
Hi again Vox, that "V" scalpel in the door bottom seals REALLY does work. Rick.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I already have it, put in by the dealer when they sorted my leaks out some years ago. It's covered in the technical Bulletins, along with a million other 'fixes'.

·
First EOS
3 Posts
How does one 'blow out' drains, possible video - description?

I have a 2010 Volkswagen EOS, and as of a few weeks ago I started noticing water in my rear passenger floorboard. Its not just damp there is a puddle of water. I have soaked it up a few times and vacuumed it out. I read about drains getting clogged so I took my car to a body shop and they blew out all the drains and said they were all clear. Other than a few drops when I go through a car wash I don't notice a lot of water coming in through the top. Does anyone know what could be causing this or is it a common issue. The car only has 30,000 miles on it.
same here ---- water from floor blowers so where/how do I clear or troubleshoot the water source (engine cowl , air intake? filter clogged?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts