Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 has the original Model Number:BNO 881. can I install a rns510 they are they are both DynAudio.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes, you can - I’ve done exactly that. You will need to check what version of CAN gateway you have and possibly replace it. You will also need a diagnostic tool like VCDS or OBDeleven to perform the coding to make the RNS510 work with the Dynaudio setup (and recode the new gateway if you need one).

You will find links to how to do it on my profile page in the forum, and a link to details about diagnostic tools in my signature below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can - I’ve done exactly that. You will need to check what version of CAN gateway you have and possibly replace it. You will also need a diagnostic tool like VCDS or OBDeleven to perform the coding to make the RNS510 work with the Dynaudio setup (and recode the new gateway if you need one).

You will find links to how to do it on my profile page in the forum, and a link to details about diagnostic tools in my signature below.

I found an 2009 today. identical to mine. except mine is 6 cylinder and it has the 510 head unit. it’s a donor car what all do I need to take of this car. not just the stereo but everything. Is there parts like to the convertible top that I should get as well. It’s even black like mine.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I replied to your PM on that. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,360 Posts
Before you do ANYTHING with your roof, do a comprehensive search of this forum using "roof problem" as the search term and read thoroughly if you wish to avoid serious, expensive and/or unable to fix consequences from not understanding the unique difficulties that will arise from lack of knowledge and experience in diagnosing and fixing roof problems.

As a start, most dealers usually offer to install a full replacement new roof instead of trying to fix a problem roof due to the problems and difficulties associated with fixing and aligning a damaged roof mechanism.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 08 has the original Model Number:BNO 881. can I install a rns510 they are they are both DynAudio.
I've got an '09 with the rns510, and I'm having an issue with my aux input not working reliably. about 10% of theme, it simply shows up as greyed out on the display.
Should I consider swapping out the whole head unit, or is there some way to fix?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Before you try replacing the head unit, first check the cable you’re plugging into the aux input. Remember the 90s when the wires on your headphones would start to crackle and one channel would drop out? Try with another device as well, to see if the issue is your phone/iPod/whatever.

The next thing to check would be the aux input socket and cable. You can get these cheaply enough (under $10) on Aliexpress.

If neither of those works, I think you may be able to code it (using VCDS or OBDeleven) to make the aux input always stay present by disabling aux input monitoring.

And if that doesn’t help... retrofitting a Bluetooth module to get wireless audio input would be cheaper than replacing your RNS510!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before you try replacing the head unit, first check the cable you’re plugging into the aux input. Remember the 90s when the wires on your headphones would start to crackle and one channel would drop out? Try with another device as well, to see if the issue is your phone/iPod/whatever.

The next thing to check would be the aux input socket and cable. You can get these cheaply enough (under $10) on Aliexpress.

If neither of those works, I think you may be able to code it (using VCDS or OBDeleven) to make the aux input always stay present by disabling aux input monitoring.

And if that doesn’t help... retrofitting a Bluetooth module to get wireless audio input would be cheaper than replacing your RNS510!
I'm 100% certain it is not my source device. It works very reliably elsewhere.
I picked up a cheap bluetooth interface from Amazon, and then plugged a stereo male-male between the bluetooth and the aux input. All of that stays tucked under the armrest - so it's not likely to get jostled.

I like the idea of disabling the monitoring. I have OBDEleven. Any pointers about how to do that recode?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Go into the radio module, then Long Coding, and search for "aux input monitoring" and switch it off. If you don't find it under Radio, try the same on the Navigation module - the RNS510 module responds to both, but OBDeleven only lists the coding options under one of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts