Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this sticker in my spare tire wheel well contain my radio code?
There are a couple of 4 digit groups or is it in "secret" Volkswagen code?
I have not needed iit but would like to have it without taking the radio out or paying the 'stealer'
sticker.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2,336 Posts
Here in Australia, an accredited VW Service dealer's invoice has a data section included which includes the radio code from the VW database.

I would expect this detail might also be included on US VW Service Dealer invoices.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Some years ago I was concerned I might need MY07 EOS radio code, it gets disconnected and reconnected a lot. They say it's in the Welcome pack wallet with the radio details - mine wasn't. On a rare trip to the stealer I paid some beans and got the 4 digit code. Either they got it from a diagnostics scan, or the mothership database.

I never used the code and replaced the OE radio with a clone. At the time the stealer said most times during battery swaps etc the code isn't needed (because I think it's kept stored in the radio memory), but then they said sometimes the code is needed? I'm guessing now but I think the code is kept stored for a certain time until the radio runs out of backup juice. That should mean you won't need it unless the radio has been disconnected from power for a long time?

My OE radio has now been stored without power for about 10 years! I would expect it to ask for the code if I ever put it back (Unlikely).

·
Registered
963 Posts
The legend I’ve read is that there’s some kind of magic related to the radio remembering the VIN of the car it’s in - so it’s not storing the code. I’d assume if that’s the case that it would be stored in the same way as the coding - i.e. non-volatile - so in theory you only need the code if you’re swapping the radio to a different car or selling it. And there are plenty of people on eBay who will sell you your code if you don’t want to go to the dealer.

Reactions: Steve Robbins

·
Registered
963 Posts
You may need a CAN adapter that switches off power when the ignition's off. VWs only have permanent power going to the head unit, and aftermarket units will drain your battery if you don't do something about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts