Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Eos w/60k miles. Airbag light has been on for about a year. I checked under the driver seat and didn't see any loose connections. Any other quick and easy suggestions? MANY THANKS!!!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Airbag safety systems are not stupid, they are there to help save your life. Although I read recently there are some cases where they have exploded and killed people. Apparently hundreds of thousands of cars being recalled at the moment. I don't think EOS's are on the list, otherwise you might have got yours fixed for free!

You can only diagnose airbag systems with a computer. Either with your own diagnostics or the dealer does it. It isn't just about finding a fault either. Usually the whole car safety system which integrates several things, has to be put through comprehensive tests. It may be one light that comes on, but it could hide a multitude of problems.

I only ever had one airbag fault on another car. The airbag control unit had given itself a catastrophic fault which could not be cleared by diagnostics and the unit had to be replaced. This often happens in crashes when the crash sensors fire. Because the airbag system has operated stressfully, the manufacturers deliberately make the control units self destruct. If your dealer says he cannot clear the airbag fault codes, then that is probably what has happened.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this is a common issue with these VW models. Someone has had to run across this themselves and hopefully can recommend an easy fix versus going to the dealer.

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
I know this is a common issue with these VW models. Someone has had to run across this themselves and hopefully can recommend an easy fix versus going to the dealer.
Because this is a critical passenger safety measure, the airbag system has been designed and manufactured to prevent owners fiddling with it causing possible failure to deploy when needed. There can be no doubt VW are well aware of the US propensity to take legal action for ridiculous amounts of money if there is a failure to deploy situation - the electronics module will have recorded the fault light has been activated and only the dealer can reset this warning after undertaking the necessary repairs and tests to confirm the airbag system is functional and will operate correctly when necessary. It is essential if not mandatory that owner/repairer access to the system be restricted to those who have the knowledge and equipment to diagnose, fix and test this critical safety measure and such access be recorded for future access if necessary.

Unfortunately, the "easy fix" in this instance involves a visit to a dealer.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
There is rarely an easy quick fix with modern car electronics. But then this is the age of the internet when 'fixes' and recommends can come thick and fast. You put your life and those of your passengers at risk by thinking you can just jump into a vehicle safety system and fix it. If you are in that mind set, I'm surprised you haven't taped over the warning light.:(

Nobody will be helping you if your airbag system is 'fixed' but the seat belt restraint system is still left faulty. That is your problem - you have one warning light, but it can cover many things and not always what the warning says it is.

Do you have vehicle inspections? Over here in U.K a car fails and is not considered legally roadworthy if warnings are showing on the dash.

If you dont want to shell out on your own diagnostics equipment or have the knowledge to learn how to use it, you will have to visit the dealer.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
DIY fix is possible

Awakening this old thread to provide some links.

If you get an error 1217 (driver side airbag igniter) or 1218 (passenger side airbag igniter), there is a plug connector under the appropriate seat that needs to be removed and the connection made directly. You will not notice a faulty connection, but if you get the fault code, this is likely the problem.

There are instructions for how to do this here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/side-airbag-light-on-repair-vw-tsb-6906-05/

Of course, you will need to remove the seats, for which instructions are here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/seat-removal-front-and-rear-mk5-vw/

Required tools: 10mm triple-spline (12-point star) bit, electrical screwdriver, wire strippers. Required parts: three electrical connectors (e.g. crimp connectors or chocolate box).

According to the link above, if you get one of these errors, the airbag system will not be disabled, so it is not a massive worry, but still, nobody likes warning lights on their dashboard!

I have followed these instructions, and they work.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
In UK your car will not pass annual inspection if the airbag warning is lit!:(

Have you proved without doubt the rest of the airbag system is still fully operational or are you relying on an internet post from a DIYer to save your life and that of your family should you need them? :confused: It surprises me that the system can still work, because one of the safeguards (Like ABS) is that a system fault could cause an airbag to operate without being triggered, which is why I would expect the system to be disabled until it passes all the self checks. The exception being the pasenger airbag for which they provide a switch which is scanned by the controller.

I read a workshop instruction once for replacing any airbag component. The dealer tech. has to go through a lot of proving checks using equipment you don't have, to ensure they are not held responsible if the system fails when you need it. The flip side I suppose is you could have an old Takata airbag which might blow up in your face and kill you. Airbag system repairs are one of the few things I would rely on a dealer for - they have the test equipment, knowledge and factory support.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Have you proved without doubt the rest of the airbag system is still fully operational or are you relying on an internet post from a DIYer to save your life and that of your family should you need them? :confused:
After making the fix and clearing the fault code, the airbag light goes out and doesn't come back on, and there are no fault codes. I trust the airbag system to know when it's working, since it knows when it's not.

I'd assume, when the fault code was present, that the passenger side airbag only would be deactivated - and even then, only possibly - it's surely better to try to deploy an airbag in the event of an accident knowing that it may not work than not trying at all.

The post was written by someone in possession of the relevant service bulletin. Given that it was just a case of replacing a plug and socket (no actual components involved), I'm confident in the fix. You'd be interfering with the airbag system just as much when you remove the steering wheel.

·
Life is good... so far
1,188 Posts
Had my Eos in 3 Times for the air bag light. Two times they replaced the connectors and wire sets under the driver's seat and the third was a right side airbag and connectors on the passenger side. I'll let you guys decide if the dealer really knew what they were doing. The problem hasn't reoccurred in 7 years, but I wonder if these connectors they were replacing were that bad. Two of the times they repaired the problem was covered by TSB. Since you live where it is hot and humid, I would tend to believe in a possible corrosion issue in these connectors. But that is what the dealer people will let you know. I wonder if these connectors were really pins in the connectors. They replaced 18 of them.

·
Life is good... so far
1,188 Posts
Almost a year later I received a letter ( Service Action) to bring in the car for inspection of the side airbags/connectors and replacement of wiring harnesses if necessary if the air bag light goes on. Of course it never happened again. The letter did seem to indicate any resistance in the side air bag connectors could cause the light go on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my Eos in 3 Times for the air bag light. Two times they replaced the connectors and wire sets under the driver's seat and the third was a right side airbag and connectors on the passenger side. I'll let you guys decide if the dealer really knew what they were doing. The problem hasn't reoccurred in 7 years, but I wonder if these connectors they were replacing were that bad. Two of the times they repaired the problem was covered by TSB. Since you live where it is hot and humid, I would tend to believe in a possible corrosion issue in these connectors. But that is what the dealer people will let you know. I wonder if these connectors were really pins in the connectors. They replaced 18 of them.
How much did this cost you?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
The way the airbag check system work is each bag, or rather the firing squib has a low resistance coil that burns through and explodes the ignitor. The system is continuously monitoring the resistance by passing a small current through it but insufficient to trigger it. Most vehicles still use tinned pins for interconnecting plugs and sockets into the wiring and then to connect to electronic controllers. In an EOS that leaks water and is always damp, these type (i.e many!) connectors can suffer causing poor contact. A further problem is the seats adjust back and forth and the wiring loom under the seat flexes causing their thin wire (designed by computer for minimal copper!) to break. Also, people stuff things under the seats. I made a point of wrapping spiral cable protector over my underseat looms then checked the routing whilst moving each seat. Similar wiring/connector problems can cause posh power seat controls to stop working.

I suspect the Stealer repair will be to replace the seat loom and its connectors. Connector pins on the airbag side may be cleaned with a switch cleaner. To do any of this work the airbag system should be safely de-activated as per V.W workshop procedure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Eos w/60k miles. Airbag light has been on for about a year. I checked under the driver seat and didn't see any loose connections. Any other quick and easy suggestions? MANY THANKS!!!
I was changing the door latch and when i put it all back together as was the air bag light came on and wont go off any help

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
If you mean you removed the door card, then you forgot to re-connect the yellow airbag crash sensor plug or you left it plugged in, let the card hang off the wiring and damaged it? A diagnostics scan would confirm if the fault was on the side you were working on or somewhere else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts